By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

hershel_layton said:
pearljammer said:

I genuinely thought you were being satirical. Your diction and voice had me entirely convinced.

My apologies, I thought I was joing in. Had I read your following post, I would have known differently. I can see that it'd be taken as mocking as you were being serious.

That being said, what could possibly convince you that a generation of a racial group is disappointing?

Look, it's not as though I hate black people. I have a positive relationship with many minorites. However, only certain kinds- the ones who act like they want to be treated equally.

Many young minorities nowadays have role models such as DJ Khaled, Nicki Minaj, JB, Snoop Dogg, etc. They chose morons to guide their life. What does this result in? Hot headed freaks who have no respect for themselves or others. The ones who probably would make a girl pregnant and ditch her. The ones who can't say a sentence without swearing.

You see people like this all the time nowadays, and it disgusts me. I want to help black people, but how can I do so when many are going back to the ghetto life? No matter how hard you want something to change- whether if it's obesity, or smoking, race, gender inequality, etc., sometimes the change needs to come from the person themselves.

Want to prevent obesity? Well, you can't magically do so.  People need to commit themselves to staying healthy.

Want to prevent smoking? Therapy helps, but remember the smoker is the one with the choice to smoke or not.

Want blacks to be equal? Open your eyes and ears and see the state the black community is in. The people need an actual figure to help them become better people, removing the pathetic fools that they consider inspirational.

I choose to befriend those that have self decency. I slowly see more young blacks lack the self respect needed to be considered "good".

Of course, it's not like the young white kids are perfect. They need to get their crap together as well

I wouldn't imagine that you held any animosity toward them.

Classifying an entire generation as disappointing is a particularly odd thing to do though. Every racial group faces issues that are entirely contextual. 

Of course personal responsibility is important for the individual, but that fails to address systemic issues. Without taking context into consideration, we are actively ignoring a larger issue. Why would any group of people be in a poor state? Unless the reasons are inherent, it's contextual and should approached likewise.

While forsaking smoking must ultimately be up to the individual, government and agency interventions have aided in dramatic reductions in use.

For that matter, the examples you're giving are not comparable at all. These are choices.

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
hershel_layton said:

Look, it's not as though I hate black people. I have a positive relationship with many minorites. However, only certain kinds- the ones who act like they want to be treated equally.

Many young minorities nowadays have role models such as DJ Khaled, Nicki Minaj, JB, Snoop Dogg, etc. They chose morons to guide their life. What does this result in? Hot headed freaks who have no respect for themselves or others. The ones who probably would make a girl pregnant and ditch her. The ones who can't say a sentence without swearing.

You see people like this all the time nowadays, and it disgusts me. I want to help black people, but how can I do so when many are going back to the ghetto life? No matter how hard you want something to change- whether if it's obesity, or smoking, race, gender inequality, etc., sometimes the change needs to come from the person themselves.

Want to prevent obesity? Well, you can't magically do so.  People need to commit themselves to staying healthy.

Want to prevent smoking? Therapy helps, but remember the smoker is the one with the choice to smoke or not.

Want blacks to be equal? Open your eyes and ears and see the state the black community is in. The people need an actual figure to help them become better people, removing the pathetic fools that they consider inspirational.

I choose to befriend those that have self decency. I slowly see more young blacks lack the self respect needed to be considered "good".

Of course, it's not like the young white kids are perfect. They need to get their crap together as well

I wouldn't imagine that you held any animosity toward them.

Classifying an entire generation as disappointing is a particularly odd thing to do though. Every racial group faces issues that are entirely contextual. 

Of course personal responsibility is important for the individual, but that fails to address systemic issues. Without taking context into consideration, we are actively ignoring a larger issue. Why would any group of people be in a poor state? Unless the reasons are inherent, it's contextual and should approached likewise.

While forsaking smoking must ultimately be up to the individual, government and agency interventions have aided in dramatic reductions in use.

For that matter, the examples you're giving are not comparable at all. These are choices.

So it's wrong of me to not like disrespectful people? 

Many young people are like that nowadays, not just black people. 
However, if the black community managed to bring a message to the young generation, imagine the impact it could have. 

How do you think we defeated the system in the 20th century? We needed to speak to the youth! People such as King Jr. and Malcolm X realized that when the black community finally get together as one, it'll place pressure on the system. It'll create the change we need.

As long as the new generation stays a laughing stock, how do you think any change will occur? Honestly, just how? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

So it's wrong of me to not like disrespectful people? 

• Huh? Where was that even implied?

Many young people are like that nowadays, not just black people. 

• If it's universal, why "the generation of current blacks is disappointing?"

However, if the black community managed to bring a message to the young generation, imagine the impact it could have. 

How do you think we defeated the system in the 20th century? We needed to speak to the youth! People such as King Jr. and Malcolm X realized that when the black community finally get together as one, it'll place pressure on the system. It'll create the change we need.

• They were extraordinary, yes. Catalysts for change. The fact that they were necessary is sad. Why shouldn't a society that creates, facilitates, and even perpetuates issues be responsible for addressing these issues. Like any solution, it's best addressed holistically not compartmentalizing, assigning blame, pointing fingers and saying fix it.

WolfpackN64 said:
Lawlight said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I think you're absolutely, 100%, no-being-mistaken, wrong...

The point of free education is not that the price of tuition goes up and that gets covered by the government, the point is that there IS NO tuition fee. The Universities would be able to get direct funding through the government and standard revenue sources.

This whole thing is also not about being "privileged white", but on the job market, discrimination is still a problem.
The "incentive to work" thing is just bogus. It's a catchphrase made up by the wealthy and powerful to instill the lie that social mobility isn't that hard if you just work for it, that's a lie.

Yes, there is discrimination in the workplace - discrimation against white people as companies want to employ minorities for the sake of it.

You mean how a lot of companies filter out applications from colored workers?

"Colored"? Is it 1960 again? 

BMaker11 said:

People in this thread don't seem to understand what white privilege is.

When you see a black guy wearing baggy pants, a backwards hat, and timbs, and you cross the street because you subconsciously think he's dangerous, but when a white guy is wearing the same and you don't mind it; that's white privilege.

When Demetrius and Brett have the same background and qualifications, but Brett is the one who gets all the job interviews; that's white privilege.

When a white kid is stealing a bike and people just assume its his bike and he's trying to unlock it, but a black kid does the exact same thing, and people approach him aggressively because they assume he's actually stealing the bike; that's white privilege.

When cops kill unarmed black people immediately for minor infractions (like not signaling to change lanes or selling cigarettes) and nothing happens to them, but a white guy is threatening to shoot a guy and instead of immediately lighting the guy up, they diffuse the situation (you know, their jobs); that's white privilege.

When you're black and speak articulately, dress well, listen to any music that isn't rap, etc. and people say you "act white"; that's white privilege (completely normal things have been standardized to be "white").

White privilege isn't "black people can't ever get succeed in life because white people". White privilege simply means white people have advantages (explicitly or implicitly) merely for being white.

Best post in this entire thread of non-sensical drivel

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
WolfpackN64 said:

You mean how a lot of companies filter out applications from colored workers?

tell that to the NAACP

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Puppyroach said:
Isn't the whole situation in Oregon with the Bundy terrorists and their friends the very definition of "white privilige"? They were allowed to occupy a government building for, so far, three weeks without ANY intervention from FBI. Imagine if they would have been black or Muslim, we would've seen a shootout within minutes from them occupying that building.

And are you assuming or have certainty? In Brazil those political occupations are usually made by very hot headed idiots (mostly whites) and are allowed a lot of time.

Puppyroach said:
A lot of people who were young and very opposed to black rights in the 60's are now owners of companies and other facilities. Anyone thinking all of them all of a sudden are open minded and tolerant, are naive.

All of a sudden? You are talking about 50 years.

Scoobes said:
DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:

Unfortunately, profiling usually isn't based on stats but ideology and inherent prejudices.

So isn't black gang members responsible for most violent crimes in USA? And prejudice is part of human being and won't ever stop (if we are talking about generalization on before knowing a person based on the general statistic of a population) the probably isn't exactly the prejudice, but why that population is seem like that.

I posted this link earlier:

http://www.jbwtucker.com/ultimate-white-privilege-statistics/

• In New York City, whites comprise 44% of the population; blacks and Latinos, 53%.[4]
    • Between 2005 and 2008, 80% of NYPD stops were of blacks and Latinos. Only 10% of stops were of whites.
    • 85% of those frisked were black; only 8% were white. (Blacks and Latinos were frisked 50% of the time; whites, only 34%.)
    • Under the NYPD’s controversial “stop-and-frisk” program, in every year since 2009, 87% of those stopped-and-frisked were black or Latino. 10% were white.[5]
    • 24% of blacks and Latinos had force used against them by the NYPD, compared to only 17% of whites.
    • Only 2.6% of all stops (1.6 million stops over 3.5 years) resulted in the discovery of contraband or a weapon. Whites were more likely to be found with contraband or a weapon.
  • Similar trends are seen in Department of Justice data from Los Angeles between July 2003 and June 2004.
    • The stop rate for blacks was 3,400 stops per 10,000 residents higher than the white stop rate. The Latino stop rate was 360 stops higher.
    • Blacks were 127% more likely to get frisked and 76% more likely to get searched than whites; Latinos, 43% more likely to get frisked and 16% more likely to get searched.
    • And yet, frisked blacks were 42% less likely to be found with a weapon than frisked whites; Latinos, 32% less likely.
    • Consensual searches of blacks were “37 percent less likely to uncover weapons, 23.7 percent less likely to uncover drugs, and 25.4 percent less likely to uncover any other type of contraband, than consensual searches of Whites.”
    • Consensual searches of Latinos were “32.8 percent less likely to uncover weapons, 34.3 percent less likely to uncover drugs, and 12.3 percent less likely to uncover any other type of contraband than consensual searches of Whites.”
  • Similar statistics can be seen across the U.S.
    • A study in Arizona found state highway patrol 3.5 times more likely to search a stopped Native American, and 2.5 times more likely to search a stopped African American or Latino, than a white person. And yet, whites who were searched were more likely than all other groups to be transporting drugs, guns, or other contraband.
    • A study in West Virginia showed black drivers 1.64 times more likely, and Latinos 1.48 times more likely, to be stopped than white drivers. After being stopped, non-whites were more likely to get arrested, even though police “obtained a significantly higher contraband hit rate for white drivers than minorities.”
    • In Illinois, data showed the number of consent searches after traffic stops, for blacks and Latinos, to be “more than double that of whites”—even though “white motorists were twice as likely to have contraband”!
    • Studies in Minnesota and Texas have yielded the same results, with blacks and Latinos being stopped more often, even though whites were more likely to have contraband.
  • In another study, it was found that blacks are three times more likely to be stopped in California than whites.[6]
  • A 2007 U.S. Department of Justice report on racial profiling found that blacks and Latinos were 3 times as likely to be stopped as whites, and that blacks were twice as likely to be arrested and 4 times as likely “to experience the threat or use of force during interactions with the police.”[7][8]

• Blacks are less than 13% of the U.S. population, and they make up only 14% of regular drug users, but they are 37% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 56% of those in state prisons for drug offenses.[9]
  • Black kids are 10 times more likely to be arrested for drug crimes than white kids [11]—even though white kids are more likely to abuse drugs[11].
  • Blacks aged 18-25 are less likely than whites to have used marijuana in the last 12 months[12]:

Blacks of all ages are also more likely never to have used marijuana[12]:

And yet, black arrest rates for marijuana are astronomically higher—and the disparity is only getting worse[12]:

More at the link, but you get the idea. Basing decisions on ideology and prejudices instead of data is is just thick and horribly unproductive.

Thanks for the numbers. So you agree with me that profiling must be made, but they are showing to be very wrongly made. One issue I want to ask. In Brazil the statistics put the same person as white when talking about university and black in prison. Is any suspicion of making more black innocent/white guilty to distort data?

And on agreement term with you I would say that they probably pick whites when they see real reason (hence almost 2x more probability of they being guilty than blacks) while they pick blacks for being blacks or both having to do with posture and clothing? Most people (maybe even you) if seeing a black wearing thug like attire and white on suit would choose to screen the black guy (even if quite possibly the guy just like the clothe and is honest and the white dresses well to not be noted).

Sounding and acting "white" is a horrible way of putting it. But if you know certain attires and maneirism are more probable to give you problem wouldn't you avoid them?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

johnsobas said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

tell that to the NAACP

You mean the organization that was established in the early 1900s? 

DonFerrari said:
Puppyroach said:
Isn't the whole situation in Oregon with the Bundy terrorists and their friends the very definition of "white privilige"? They were allowed to occupy a government building for, so far, three weeks without ANY intervention from FBI. Imagine if they would have been black or Muslim, we would've seen a shootout within minutes from them occupying that building.

And are you assuming or have certainty? In Brazil those political occupations are usually made by very hot headed idiots (mostly whites) and are allowed a lot of time.

Puppyroach said:
A lot of people who were young and very opposed to black rights in the 60's are now owners of companies and other facilities. Anyone thinking all of them all of a sudden are open minded and tolerant, are naive.

All of a sudden? You are talking about 50 years.

Scoobes said:
DonFerrari said:
Scoobes said:

Unfortunately, profiling usually isn't based on stats but ideology and inherent prejudices.

So isn't black gang members responsible for most violent crimes in USA? And prejudice is part of human being and won't ever stop (if we are talking about generalization on before knowing a person based on the general statistic of a population) the probably isn't exactly the prejudice, but why that population is seem like that.

I posted this link earlier:

http://www.jbwtucker.com/ultimate-white-privilege-statistics/

• In New York City, whites comprise 44% of the population; blacks and Latinos, 53%.[4]
    • Between 2005 and 2008, 80% of NYPD stops were of blacks and Latinos. Only 10% of stops were of whites.
    • 85% of those frisked were black; only 8% were white. (Blacks and Latinos were frisked 50% of the time; whites, only 34%.)
    • Under the NYPD’s controversial “stop-and-frisk” program, in every year since 2009, 87% of those stopped-and-frisked were black or Latino. 10% were white.[5]
    • 24% of blacks and Latinos had force used against them by the NYPD, compared to only 17% of whites.
    • Only 2.6% of all stops (1.6 million stops over 3.5 years) resulted in the discovery of contraband or a weapon. Whites were more likely to be found with contraband or a weapon.
  • Similar trends are seen in Department of Justice data from Los Angeles between July 2003 and June 2004.
    • The stop rate for blacks was 3,400 stops per 10,000 residents higher than the white stop rate. The Latino stop rate was 360 stops higher.
    • Blacks were 127% more likely to get frisked and 76% more likely to get searched than whites; Latinos, 43% more likely to get frisked and 16% more likely to get searched.
    • And yet, frisked blacks were 42% less likely to be found with a weapon than frisked whites; Latinos, 32% less likely.
    • Consensual searches of blacks were “37 percent less likely to uncover weapons, 23.7 percent less likely to uncover drugs, and 25.4 percent less likely to uncover any other type of contraband, than consensual searches of Whites.”
    • Consensual searches of Latinos were “32.8 percent less likely to uncover weapons, 34.3 percent less likely to uncover drugs, and 12.3 percent less likely to uncover any other type of contraband than consensual searches of Whites.”
  • Similar statistics can be seen across the U.S.
    • A study in Arizona found state highway patrol 3.5 times more likely to search a stopped Native American, and 2.5 times more likely to search a stopped African American or Latino, than a white person. And yet, whites who were searched were more likely than all other groups to be transporting drugs, guns, or other contraband.
    • A study in West Virginia showed black drivers 1.64 times more likely, and Latinos 1.48 times more likely, to be stopped than white drivers. After being stopped, non-whites were more likely to get arrested, even though police “obtained a significantly higher contraband hit rate for white drivers than minorities.”
    • In Illinois, data showed the number of consent searches after traffic stops, for blacks and Latinos, to be “more than double that of whites”—even though “white motorists were twice as likely to have contraband”!
    • Studies in Minnesota and Texas have yielded the same results, with blacks and Latinos being stopped more often, even though whites were more likely to have contraband.
  • In another study, it was found that blacks are three times more likely to be stopped in California than whites.[6]
  • A 2007 U.S. Department of Justice report on racial profiling found that blacks and Latinos were 3 times as likely to be stopped as whites, and that blacks were twice as likely to be arrested and 4 times as likely “to experience the threat or use of force during interactions with the police.”[7][8]

• Blacks are less than 13% of the U.S. population, and they make up only 14% of regular drug users, but they are 37% of those arrested for drug offenses, and 56% of those in state prisons for drug offenses.[9]
  • Black kids are 10 times more likely to be arrested for drug crimes than white kids [11]—even though white kids are more likely to abuse drugs[11].
  • Blacks aged 18-25 are less likely than whites to have used marijuana in the last 12 months[12]:

Blacks of all ages are also more likely never to have used marijuana[12]:

And yet, black arrest rates for marijuana are astronomically higher—and the disparity is only getting worse[12]:

More at the link, but you get the idea. Basing decisions on ideology and prejudices instead of data is is just thick and horribly unproductive.

Thanks for the numbers. So you agree with me that profiling must be made, but they are showing to be very wrongly made. One issue I want to ask. In Brazil the statistics put the same person as white when talking about university and black in prison. Is any suspicion of making more black innocent/white guilty to distort data?

And on agreement term with you I would say that they probably pick whites when they see real reason (hence almost 2x more probability of they being guilty than blacks) while they pick blacks for being blacks or both having to do with posture and clothing? Most people (maybe even you) if seeing a black wearing thug like attire and white on suit would choose to screen the black guy (even if quite possibly the guy just like the clothe and is honest and the white dresses well to not be noted).

Sounding and acting "white" is a horrible way of putting it. But if you know certain attires and maneirism are more probable to give you problem wouldn't you avoid them?

What sucks more is that people are jailed for a long time just for marijuana. As much as I hate how blacks are jailed longer, I wish no one had to be jailed just for marijuana. I know rapists who've gotten sentences shorter than marijuana-users.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
johnsobas said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

tell that to the NAACP

You mean the organization that was established in the early 1900s? 

So what?  What do you think the C stands for?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X