By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are amiibos now a new form of Microtransactions? TP HD

PxlStorm said:
Yeah, but apparently it's okay if Nintendo does it.

It wasn't long ago that Nintendo was seen as the white night of dlc.  They would never dare stoop to such lows like other major publishers have.  Just like they don't charge for online.  Because they care about the gamer!  Like every other company,  if Nintendo find a way to do it they will. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Nothing new about this. The first Skylanders game already had items (physical like the Skylanders figurines) like a potion to regenerate health. Furthermore, entire levels were locked behind toys that had to be bought separately (buy a castle to get access to a new castle level).

It's just that nobody ever talked about this, because nobody around here gives a damn about Skylanders.

More like skylanders is limited to skylanders. You're not buying skylanders to get a health boost in bloodborne, are you?

I buy amiibos figures solely because of the toys, not because I want added features in my games, I've used some of them in Splatoon, Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi's Woolly World but the games are complete, you don't need the amiibos to have a full experience. Nintendo is not EA, you don't have to buy amiibos in ordert to enjoy a game, you don't have to buy a season pass. For $12.99 you're buying a cute little toy that you may or may not use in a game but you can display in a shelf or wherever you want. People complains too much because is Nintendo

RolStoppable said:
midrange said:
RolStoppable said:
Nothing new about this. The first Skylanders game already had items (physical like the Skylanders figurines) like a potion to regenerate health. Furthermore, entire levels were locked behind toys that had to be bought separately (buy a castle to get access to a new castle level).

It's just that nobody ever talked about this, because nobody around here gives a damn about Skylanders.

More like skylanders is limited to skylanders. You're not buying skylanders to get a health boost in bloodborne, are you?

What's your point? Are you saying that people are buying Zelda amiibos to get a health boost in Twilight Princess HD?

That amiibos pervade almost every wii u game whereas skylanders doesn't. That's why people are more critical of amiibos not skylanders. Skylanders get wiggle room with using their figures to unlock things because this practice is limited to the skylanders franchise

Amiibo is the worst, only because Nintendo don't offer the extras separately. So you are forced to buy them if you want the additional content.

Around the Network

You would have a point... if arrows and hearts weren't able to be obtained in the game. But they are so...

Microtransaction don't work across multiple games from different series so no, they're just figures that have gaming functions right across the board.

Yea arguably for the wolf link amiibo but not so much for the others as most of them works with lots of other games too, while wolf link does not. More often than not they only offer bonuses and doesn't affect normal gameplay whatsoever

I don't know if microtransaction is the right word. They are a paywall. I actually don't mind the Zelda and Link functionality. You're not actually getting anything in the game that is unobtainable without it. I do, however, take issue with the Ganondorf and Wolf Link functionality. My issue with Wolf Link should be obvious, but Ganondorf is just annoying. It's basically gating off a harder difficulty mode behind a $13 paywall, which is a ridiculous as every other Amiibo paywall.

I actually don't mind at all Amiibo that allow you to have access to something that's already in the game a little easier. Ammo, skins, currency, even health is fine if there is a free alternative to those same goods. That's why Mario Maker did it best. Gating content and modes behind the paywall of undesirable physical goods like Amiibo is heinous, though, and Nintendo should be slammed for that. It really is disgusting that it's in any game and that Nintendo is getting away with such bullshit with applause.

Amiibos = Pokemon cards + DLC?