By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are amiibos now a new form of Microtransactions? TP HD

Amiibo is a Nintendo made pay wall for content on disc that isn't really usefull. Yet they do like to make money from it and people keep buying the things. So yes it is as useless aND profitable as a microtransaction Amiibo are appreciated more though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
They are just giving the amiibos some functionality.... the game is the same as the original without them....

This complaining about amiibos working with games is getting out of hand.One time people complain that amiibos have useless functionalities with games, and other times they complain that the content they activate should be used without amiibos.Make up your mind guys!(this is not a stab at you, sorry if i offended you)

I assume that it's not people who can't make up their minds, but instead two different camps. I have always disliked the idea of Amiibo being used for in-game content.

Yeah, but apparently it's okay if Nintendo does it.

I personally only have amiibos as collectibles but with amiibos the discussion is always if amiibos don't do anything they are a waste but if they do something it's bad and only Nintendo could get away with doing this types of thing, so when it comes to amiibo for some people is always a lose-lose situation

The stupidity around amiibo is only growing more and more and more. Now some optional extra arrows/hearts once a day on a single player game is something to complain about it. Borderline pathetic.

User was moderated for this post - Zekkyou

Around the Network

That fact that some of these features are locked behind are silly, but the thing is that it's not mandatory for the game or anything.

The Ganondorf amiibo is sort of an exception, mainly because it is flat out locking out a layer of difficulty.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
That fact that some of these features are locked behind are silly, but the thing is that it's not mandatory for the game or anything.

The Ganondorf amiibo is sort of an exception, mainly because it is flat out locking out a layer of difficulty.

"Layer of difficulty" = Multiplying the damage x4. How can that be called content? Is just a number, there is no content there, and I'm 150% sure that super hard mode would not have existed if they didnt need something to add to the Ganon Amiibo, so its existence is actually thanks to the amiibo.

If you want to play the game on extra hard, dont take any hearts container. 

I think part of the reason this question gets asked so often is that there are people who complain about DLC elsewhere then they turn around and defend Amiibo. That's not only hypocrisy, it also creates a target for criticism. In the console wars, it results in an opportunity that would equate to a bombing run or an artillery barrage.

Of course, sometimes the question is genuine or comes from a real desire to debate the topic, and you also have people who are honest about their criticism/frustration with the hypocrisy. Not everyone is painted with the same brush.

Personally, my only problem with Amiibo would be if it provides extras that you cannot get elsewhere.

As an example, let's say that I really want one of the Zelda Amiibo DLC functions and it turns out that I cannot earn that function in-game. However, I have zero interest in collectable toys. If I were going to display something gaming related--and I'm probably not--I'd buy something nice. That would make the DLC both overpriced and inconvenient to use.

That, to me, would be an annoyance and a betrayal of the non-toy-buying fans. Anything available using Amiibo in a non-Amiibo themed game should be up for digital purchase. I think that would remove most controversy. The exception would be games that are centered around Amiibo from the start, as you should expect to need Amiibo for that.

Goodnightmoon said:

"Layer of difficulty" = Multiplying the damage x4. How can that be called content? Is just a number.

If you want to play the game on extra hard, dont take any hearts container. 

Three hearts is pretty hard, but what if I just want to give myself an incredibly hard time?

Besides, I know that there are a good handful of games that multiply the damage you take via in-game items, so to introduce this feature via an amiibo is the only real thing that annoys me with this particular game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

What is considered mandatory though? For example, in Street Fighter X Tekken it isn't mandatory to have 12 extra characters, but it still sucks to have it locked behind a paywall.