By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Will Smith will not attend the Oscars in row over lack of diversity

Lawlight said:
DonFerrari said:
Lawlight said:

Who says it is?

If it have no relation to Oscar, why did you mention it?

Ask the guy who brought the box office first.

And who done that? and even there box office affecting oscar would make more sense than international. Also someone else being off-topic isn't a sound defense to do the same, it's just blame shift

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
UshiotheOmega said:

Are you really suggesting that TFA made that amount of money by having a pair of non-white male leads? really? Star Wars would have made money even if the reviews where awful (bad reviews never hurt the Transformers films) it's Franchise not cast that make the film which on one havd means you can cast anybody and make money and on the other means the actors/actresses are easily replacable.

It also means audiences will pay money to see someone other than white men in lead roles. 

I'm really looking forward to the day that a movie like Gods of Egypt could be case with actual Egyptians in the lead roles.

That wouldn't still be genuine because the ancient Egyptians are an extinct people. Modern Egyptians consists largely of Arabs who came into the region thousands of years later than the era depicted in that movie.

LipeJJ said:
So, he's implying that they should nominate people not by their merit, but based on ethnic/cultural diversity?

Or the did I read it wrong?

Oh come on, you guys, pay attention. Black people acted in movies last year, believe it or not. He's saying, "instead of just picking all the white people, you can pick some minorities that acted well too". Seems clear enough. Not only white people are good actors.

Stupid Will Smith, and most of these social justice activist, don't realize that Hollywood has already adjusted heavily to minority issues.

It's been known for quite a while now that black actors, among other minority groups, are often cast in movies only to fill an unofficial minority quota, to fulfill the politically correct criteria. The new Star Wars is a good example of that. The term "token black guy" describes this custom where a black actor is placed in a TV show or movie just to appease minorities and their advocats.

Nowadays we even see at least one black actor artificially placed in nearly all Medieval and Ancient settings, even if there actually didn't exist any black people in reality in those contexts.

Also, which sadly the audience is totally unaware of, nowadays Hollywood deliberately casts black actors to play relatively moral characters and very rarely do they play roles that are meant to evoke negative feelings in the audience. The despicable guy is always white. This is brainwash.

Slimebeast said:

Stupid Will Smith, and most of these social justice activist, don't realize that Hollywood has already adjusted heavily to minority issues.

It's been known for quite a while now that black actors, among other minority groups, are often cast in movies only to fill an unofficial minority quota, to fulfill the politically correct criteria. The new Star Wars is a good example of that. The term "token black guy" describes this custom where a black actor is placed in a TV show or movie just to appease minorities and their advocats.

Nowadays we even see at least one black actor artificially placed in nearly all Medieval and Ancient settings, even if there actually didn't exist any black people in reality in those contexts.

Also, which sadly the audience is totally unaware of, nowadays Hollywood deliberately casts black actors to play relatively moral characters and very rarely do they play roles that are meant to evoke negative feelings in the audience. The despicable guy is always white. This is brainwash.

sounds more like paranoia to me

Around the Network
Skratchy said:
LipeJJ said:
So, he's implying that they should nominate people not by their merit, but based on ethnic/cultural diversity?

Or the did I read it wrong?

Oh come on, you guys, pay attention. Black people acted in movies last year, believe it or not. He's saying, "instead of just picking all the white people, you can pick some minorities that acted well too". Seems clear enough. Not only white people are good actors.

You're saying that the academy deliberately made sure that no black actor were nominated?

SpokenTruth said:
Slimebeast said:
SpokenTruth said:
UshiotheOmega said:

Are you really suggesting that TFA made that amount of money by having a pair of non-white male leads? really? Star Wars would have made money even if the reviews where awful (bad reviews never hurt the Transformers films) it's Franchise not cast that make the film which on one havd means you can cast anybody and make money and on the other means the actors/actresses are easily replacable.

It also means audiences will pay money to see someone other than white men in lead roles. 

I'm really looking forward to the day that a movie like Gods of Egypt could be cast with actual Egyptians in the lead roles.

That wouldn't still be genuine because the ancient Egyptians are an extinct people. Modern Egyptians consists largely of Arabs who came into the region thousands of years later than the era depicted in that movie.

So yeah, let's just cast white people then.

No, I'm just saying that casting modern day Egyptians isn't the obvious solution.

I think they should deliberately choose among Hollywood actors that have the right, authentic appearance - among Arab, Jewish, Latino and mixed black/white actors and among the few white that have a similar appearance.

SpokenTruth said:
Slimebeast said:

Something like this for the male lead actors for Gods of Egypt:

Slimebeast said:
SpokenTruth said:
Slimebeast said:
SpokenTruth said:
UshiotheOmega said:

I'm really looking forward to the day that a movie like Gods of Egypt could be cast with actual Egyptians in the lead roles.

No, I'm just saying that casting modern day Egyptians isn't the obvious solution.

I think they should deliberately choose among Hollywood actors that have the right, authentic appearance - among Arab, Jewish, Latino and mixed black/white actors and among the few white that have a similar appearance.

Look at all the diversity here, no problems here ... 

And lol no Arab actor is getting cast in anything major unless he's playing a terrorist. 

Soundwave said:
Slimebeast said:

Look at all the diversity here, no problems here ... 

And lol no Arab actor is getting cast in anything major unless he's playing a terrorist. 

lol I bet someone made that table to show how unfair the casting was between whites and minorities.

"Egyptian thief" and "Egyptian lower class civilian", I lol'd so hard.

(obviously that table is cherry picked and doesn't represent Hollywood movies in general)