By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Corporate Health of Sony, Nintendo and MS

ShadowG78 said:
Nintendo's debt is so low that's funny.

I thought it was a typo at first read. I don't see why they don't just pay it at this point.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
ShadowG78 said:

I thought it was a typo at first read. I don't see why they don't just pay it at this point.

Even the most profitable companies take up loans, because sometimes you need short term cash to cover expenses, and it makes no sense to take that cash from your main reserves. This is the same reason the country I live in (Norway) can run a surplus on its federal budget, but still takes up loans to cover costs. It's not as simple as a "They have enough money to pay it, so why don't they."

Also corporate bonds don't work like that. It's not like you can pay it whenever you want. They have due dates and set interest payments for years.

SpokenTruth said:
Eddie_Raja said:

At this point I have to wonder if you are just messing with me.  Your math clearly showed that Sony is worth more money overall.

I think the issue here is that you are looking at absolute values and he's looking as at ratios and percentages.

If that is the case, you are both correct in from those viewpoints.  The question then becomes, which viewpoint is actually a better indicator of corporate health and how well they could weather problems?

Which is why I have said several times that absolute value is more important in the case of disaster - that is one my main points.  Having the best Ratios is nice for investor meetings, but when the shit hits the fan what matters is how long can you survive hardship while you steer your company back on course.  Sony's (Too?) massive size allowed them to sell off nearly endless pieces of their business when some of their divisions were going through hard times.   If Nintendo were to be hit anywhere near as hard they would go bankrupt very quickly.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:
KLAMarine said:

Eddie_Raja said:It is already that bad my friend.  One more descent into lower sales and things will start to look hopeless.

I don't recall Nintendo ever posting a loss to the tune of $1.2 billion.

Eddie_Raja said:

Not sure why you keep denying that the massive size of Sony/MS gives them armor.

Because WHEN YOU DO THE MATH using OP's figures, you'll see Sony's armor is not as thick as you think.

Let's do the math using the following formula:

cash and short term investments + assets - liabilities - debts = "armor"

Nintendo:

$7.6 billion + $11.3 billion - $1.5 billion - $103,000 = $17.4 billion

Sony:

$15.7 billion + $132 billion - $107.6 billion - $18 billion = $22.1 billion

Microsoft:

$96.5 billion + $176.2 billion - $96.1 billion - $7.5 billion = $169.1 billion

As one can see, Sony's "armor" is much much closer to Nintendo's "armor" than to Microsoft's "armor". Microsoft's "armor" is huge compared to Sony's "armor", they're not even comparable.

With that said, the problem for Sony is that Sony is a much larger company than Nintendo. Sony employs about 130,000 people ( http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/employees/info/ ) while Nintendo employs about 4,000 to 5,000 ( http://www.numberof.net/number%C2%A0of%C2%A0nintendo%C2%A0employees/ , https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/NTDOY.PK--Number-of-Employees ).

Sony has more people on the payroll than Nintendo, they have more wages to pay, more facilities to pay for but only have about $4.7 billion more in "armor" than Nintendo and about $147 billion less "armor" than Microsoft.

The reasoning above is why in my opinion, Sony is the weakest among the three.

I'm not a business major so my opinion is rather worthless and if any business majors reading this post detect faulty reasoning in my logic, please let me know.

-Omg you just keep ignoring my main points.  When did I say Sony hasn't F'd up?  NEVER - they messed up huge.  I never said Sony is insanely better.

-My main point, from the get go is that Sony is not weaker than Nintendo longterm.  Your math proves that.

-What you are not paying attention to with Nintendo is the trajectory.  Yes they have never lost as much money as Sony up until NOW, but recently they posted losses - an unheard of thing for Nintendo.  That would be like if Apple posted losses.   

-Right now Sony is doing ok, and more importantly Playstation is doing crazy well (Which is what really matters).  Sony's hardest times are over and so it is silly to keep acting like they are falling apart.  They survived, and it is over.  If Nintendo F's up one more gen we will sit and see how well they survive, and they have far worse chances than Sony did if it gets bad.

-One thing you have to remember is that you are looking at a Sony AFTER they survived a crash.  They started with far more than Nintendo has now.

I think there is overall a lot of potential for the NX to revitalize Nintendo, and so I am by no means saying they are doomed.  What I am saying is that they can't keep screwing up for much longer.  They need to get their crap together before things get terrible because they cannot survive the blow Sony took 7 years ago.

Situation of assets and liabilities were a lot better in 2000.

Before the Crash,  Sony, were  much bigger than Microsoft, now they are backing up, SCE, became SIE, to show that they will invest more on Playstation.

Teeqoz said:
spemanig said:
ShadowG78 said:

Even the most profitable companies take up loans, because sometimes you need short term cash to cover expenses, and it makes no sense to take that cash from your main reserves. This is the same reason the country I live in (Norway) can run a surplus on its federal budget, but still takes up loans to cover costs. It's not as simple as a "They have enough money to pay it, so why don't they."

Also corporate bonds don't work like that. It's not like you can pay it whenever you want. They have due dates and set interest payments for years.

Government debt is a little more complicated... A lot of the reserve is used to manipulate the market in some way and play with exchange rates, and serve as cushion. So they can't dispose of that money and need external money. Other times like in Brazil they take money from banks with like 14% interest and lend subsized to "improve industries" and that money is lent by the same bank by 4% interest rate, and basically the bank is making 10% profit with a money it doesn't even own.

On company side, you could see on simpler term that a investiment have 25% return rate while the lent money will cost 10% on that period, so it's better to own money because it'll generate profit to cover the cost of it... That is why MS even having much more cash than Ninty still pick a lot of loans on the market... Ninty is probably too risk adverse and preffer to sit on their cash and invest very little and lend even less.

Swordmasterman said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

-Omg you just keep ignoring my main points.  When did I say Sony hasn't F'd up?  NEVER - they messed up huge.  I never said Sony is insanely better.

-My main point, from the get go is that Sony is not weaker than Nintendo longterm.  Your math proves that.

-What you are not paying attention to with Nintendo is the trajectory.  Yes they have never lost as much money as Sony up until NOW, but recently they posted losses - an unheard of thing for Nintendo.  That would be like if Apple posted losses.   

-Right now Sony is doing ok, and more importantly Playstation is doing crazy well (Which is what really matters).  Sony's hardest times are over and so it is silly to keep acting like they are falling apart.  They survived, and it is over.  If Nintendo F's up one more gen we will sit and see how well they survive, and they have far worse chances than Sony did if it gets bad.

-One thing you have to remember is that you are looking at a Sony AFTER they survived a crash.  They started with far more than Nintendo has now.

I think there is overall a lot of potential for the NX to revitalize Nintendo, and so I am by no means saying they are doomed.  What I am saying is that they can't keep screwing up for much longer.  They need to get their crap together before things get terrible because they cannot survive the blow Sony took 7 years ago.

Before the Crash,  Sony, were  much bigger than Microsoft, now they are backing up, SCE, became SIE, to show that they will invest more on Playstation.

They were true Juggernauts before LG and Samsung started flourishing and Apple put iPod in the market.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
KLAMarine said:
Eddie_Raja said:
KLAMarine said:

Eddie_Raja said:

Not sure why you keep denying that the massive size of Sony/MS gives them armor.

Because WHEN YOU DO THE MATH using OP's figures, you'll see Sony's armor is not as thick as you think.

Nintendo:

Sony:

Microsoft:

As one can see, Sony's "armor" is much much closer to Nintendo's "armor" than to Microsoft's "armor". Microsoft's "armor" is huge compared to Sony's "armor", they're not even comparable.

With that said, the problem for Sony is that Sony is a much larger company than Nintendo. Sony employs about 130,000 people ( http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/csr_report/employees/info/ ) while Nintendo employs about 4,000 to 5,000 ( http://www.numberof.net/number%C2%A0of%C2%A0nintendo%C2%A0employees/ , https://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/NTDOY.PK--Number-of-Employees ).

Sony has more people on the payroll than Nintendo, they have more wages to pay, more facilities to pay for but only have about $4.7 billion more in "armor" than Nintendo and about $147 billion less "armor" than Microsoft.

I'm not a business major so my opinion is rather worthless and if any business majors reading this post detect faulty reasoning in my logic, please let me know.

How does my math prove your main point?

At this point I have to wonder if you are just messing with me.  Your math clearly showed that Sony is worth more money overall.

I'm not messing with you. The fact that I bothered to do the math to support my statements will attest to that.

Eddie_Raja said:

Your math clearly showed that Sony is worth more money overall.

Eddie_Raja said:
SpokenTruth said:

I think the issue here is that you are looking at absolute values and he's looking as at ratios and percentages.

If that is the case, you are both correct in from those viewpoints.  The question then becomes, which viewpoint is actually a better indicator of corporate health and how well they could weather problems?

Which is why I have said several times that absolute value is more important in the case of disaster - that is one my main points.  Having the best Ratios is nice for investor meetings, but when the shit hits the fan what matters is how long can you survive hardship while you steer your company back on course.  Sony's (Too?) massive size allowed them to sell off nearly endless pieces of their business when some of their divisions were going through hard times.   If Nintendo were to be hit anywhere near as hard they would go bankrupt very quickly.

Sony has more employees than Nintendo. If we divide "armor" by employee size, we get the following:

Nintendo:

$17.4 billion / 5,000 = $3,480,000 per employee

Sony:

$22.1 billion / 130,000 = $170,000 per employee

What do you make of this? Who do you think might be able to hold onto their workforce for longer during times of crisis?

I certainly know who I'd rather work for.

KLAMarine said:
Eddie_Raja said:
KLAMarine said:
Eddie_Raja said:
KLAMarine said:

Eddie_Raja said:

Nintendo:

Sony:

Microsoft:

How does my math prove your main point?

I'm not messing with you. The fact that I bothered to do the math to support my statements will attest to that.

Eddie_Raja said:

Your math clearly showed that Sony is worth more money overall.

Eddie_Raja said:
SpokenTruth said:

Sony has more employees than Nintendo. If we divide "armor" by employee size, we get the following:

Nintendo:

$17.4 billion / 5,000 = $3,480,000 per employee

Sony:

$22.1 billion / 130,000 = $170,000 per employee

What do you make of this? Who do you think might be able to hold onto their workforce for longer during times of crisis?

I certainly know who I'd rather work for.

Sony, is making profit once again, the Tides have changed, and thanks for their assets they are still alive, Mobile Division, lost 10 times less money on 2015, than on 2014, Video game profits and image sensor profits raised previous year, Predictions of Loss, became Profit, and hundreds of millions of Profit, PS4, will be the Market leader for all this generation, and Xbox One, will not even sell half of what Playstation 4, will.

Now, we will wait and see Nintendo NX, to see if Nintendo, will turn the things up, if you are arguing with Logic, and without Feelings, so you need to look to where those companies are headed for, we also have the "????????????" Factor, that the Playstation VR, can raise PS4 Sales, just like Motion Control, did for the Wii.

Sony, already had a lot of loss in the past years, and now is back up, Nintendo, cannot loss Money, other wise they would be in big trouble.

mountaindewslave said:

its interesting looking at Sony's 'assets' how large they still really are. if not for a lot of mismanagement and poor choices over the last few years (phone division?) they would probably still be one of the leading electronic companies in the world

probably headed back in the direction of dominating other parts of the electronics division though. I can't imagine a world in which Sony TVs and things wouldn't be popular, they always seem high quality

its just absolute insane to me that Sony has almost as much in assets as Microsoft, one of the biggest companies in the world

Sony is also more than a gaming company just as Microsof.

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:
spemanig said:
ShadowG78 said:

Government debt is a little more complicated... A lot of the reserve is used to manipulate the market in some way and play with exchange rates, and serve as cushion. So they can't dispose of that money and need external money. Other times like in Brazil they take money from banks with like 14% interest and lend subsized to "improve industries" and that money is lent by the same bank by 4% interest rate, and basically the bank is making 10% profit with a money it doesn't even own.

On company side, you could see on simpler term that a investiment have 25% return rate while the lent money will cost 10% on that period, so it's better to own money because it'll generate profit to cover the cost of it... That is why MS even having much more cash than Ninty still pick a lot of loans on the market... Ninty is probably too risk adverse and preffer to sit on their cash and invest very little and lend even less.

Swordmasterman said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

They were true Juggernauts before LG and Samsung started flourishing and Apple put iPod in the market.

Around the 90's before the JP crash, back when MS was still in it's infancy and before America decided to swallow the world economy... 

SpokenTruth said:

Several people seem to think that winning or losing in the console race is a direct indicator of corporate health and the security of that company's future.

Below is a list of a few current (end of 2015) aspects of each that company that should shed more light on exactly how successful or in danger they are.  Unfortunately, this will compare the entire companies rather than just their game segments but for the sake of a company being solvent, it's relevant.

Company Nintendo* Sony* Microsoft
Cash and Short Term Investments $7.6 Billion $15.7 Billion $96.5 Billion
Total Assets $11.3 Billion $132.0 Billion $176.2 Billion
Total Liabilities $1.5 Billion $107.6 Billion $96.1 Billion
Total Debt $103,000 $18 Billion $7.5 Billion

* - All figures converted from Japanese Yen to USD.

Do you have some links for this numbers!?