By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Rich are You on a Global Scale?

What is your wealth position relative to the rest of the world?

top 0.1% 82 18.55%

top 1% 124 28.05%

top 5% 85 19.23%

top 10% 45 10.18%

top 25% 36 8.14%

50%-25% 26 5.88%

bottom 50% 44 9.95%

Total:442
DonFerrari said:
Neodegenerate said:
0.07%

Pretty sure this thing isn't accurate. I don't make THAT much money.

there are guys here that think they are poor but still can buy 400 games a gen. The world is a big place.

Oh I don't think I am poor by any stretch of the imagination.  I just can't imagine that I am actually in the "top 1%" let alone the top 0.1%.  Especially given that where I live I am considered middle class.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
AsGryffynn said:
Top 0.1 according to this piece of junk. I don't believe it. $66000 a year is hardly impressive...

I live in the UK and $66k is more than what someone who manages an entire business unit and has over 30 people working for them earns in my area.

For a year? Well, technically I was lucky enough to sell a piece of dirt one of my late grandparents left for me, but I never thought it was much. The most expensive thing I own is my apartment, and while it is in a very central area, it is not that big either (at least I can safely say I own the thing)...

twintail said:
Shinobi-san said:
0.15% nd im from south africa...doesnt seem accurate :/

I see you forgot about the rest of Africa.

No worries, all south Africans do haha

Fun fact about South Africa: They are all rich. Some of them just like dressing in cheap clothing because shopping in Sandton is a nightmare (and I can can vouch for the last one).

SvennoJ said:
It's simple. If you can afford a place to live and have food every single day, you're wealthy.
If you can afford a console, internet, games to play, post on a gaming site, you're very rich, likely in the top 1%.
If you have all that and no debts and live in North America or Europe, you're filthy rich!

It feels like -20 outside atm, I don't mind being rich.

Guess I am filthy rich... Mostly since I told anyone trying to give me a loan to s**** it and when I had the money to live on my own and live off savings, I was still living with my parents since I wasn't that old anyways...

Technically, if I only had 30 years more to live, I would be rich, even if only on the lower tiers, but I have to ration this stuff to last me 70 years at least, so...

Teeqoz said:
I'm 15, so used my parents numbers for fun. That puts "me" at 0.07% for income and 2.72% for wealth.

I live in Norway though, so I'm cheating

Me too, but I am 17:)

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Using the minimum wage in Brazil (R$880 x13, or R$11440) would put someone among the 20.81% richest people. Not sure if it is accurate, but seems plausible and makes me think how poor most people in the world are, since it isn't enough to have a normal life in most cities in Brazil.

Neodegenerate said:
DonFerrari said:

there are guys here that think they are poor but still can buy 400 games a gen. The world is a big place.

Oh I don't think I am poor by any stretch of the imagination.  I just can't imagine that I am actually in the "top 1%" let alone the top 0.1%.  Especially given that where I live I am considered middle class.

Well, middle class (and most people are upper class but think they are middle... riches are always the others) in several countries is richier than the top 1% of most countries... and when you consider how much is the population of 3rd world it's easy to see why you are on the 0.1%  but it's normal not to see us like that because we compare to the people who are close, but when you spread your vision you'll see how fucked up is the world of others.

zehh25 said:
Using the minimum wage in Brazil (R$880 x13, or R$11440) would put someone among the 20.81% richest people. Not sure if it is accurate, but seems plausible and makes me think how poor most people in the world are, since it isn't enough to have a normal life in most cities in Brazil.

Yes... being poor in USA is better than being middle class in brazil, and being very poor in Brazil (let's face that who earn minimum wage in brazil even if poor on brazilian reality and very poor on US standards) is still better than most people in Zambia or Zimbabwe.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Yes... being poor in USA is better than being middle class in brazil, and being very poor in Brazil (let's face that who earn minimum wage in brazil even if poor on brazilian reality and very poor on US standards) is still better than most people in Zambia or Zimbabwe.

I wouldn't say its is better being poor in US than being middle class in Brazil, but maybe being a lower middle class here is indeed worse than being poor there. I think with our minimum wage it would be impossible to live in US to be honest, although it seems acceptable in any South American country (excluding Brazil, ironically, and maybe Chile). But I believe that increasing it too much would result in more unemployment and inflation in a short period, maybe in 15-20 years it will be in a better situation.

kowenicki said:
cheshirescat said:
My income is somewhat variable year by year, went by what I made last year, which was a fair bit less than I had made the year before, and got .0009%. Wealth is apparently at .006%.

0.0009 is £4.8m net per year.  wow.

I got 0.05% for my net take home.

I probably won't make that much this year, unless something unexpected takes off in a foreign market, next year I'll probably see a spike though.  Not that it matters, I've already made enough to live the rest of my life comfortably, everything from this point is gravy to me.  The screwy part, when estimating my equity and value of possessions in the wealth category I only included my primary residence, neglecting to my other properties and holdings overseas.  Taking those into account the wealth category goes to .003%.

Just by using what earns my mother: 10.18% richest by income... lol thinking about it, that's probably true, we like to complain but we tend to forget majority of people has a harder time

zehh25 said:
DonFerrari said:

I wouldn't say its is better being poor in US than being middle class in Brazil, but maybe being a lower middle class here is indeed worse than being poor there. I think with our minimum wage it would be impossible to live in US to be honest, although it seems acceptable in any South American country (excluding Brazil, ironically, and maybe Chile). But I believe that increasing it too much would result in more unemployment and inflation in a short period, maybe in 15-20 years it will be in a better situation.

Minimum wage is a useless concept, but I won't enter in that. There are a lot of people in USA that would be considered poor in USA standard that would have basic sanitary, eletricity, a house and two cars while the middle class here can't (the one defined by the government by having per capita income of 200,00 to 500,00 dollars a month... over that it's upper class). As I said, people think they are poorer than they are.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:
Even with 150k net debt you're still in the top 7% in Canada.
Surely people in the 3rd world have less debt...

Wait, I guess it doesn't recognize debt. Having a 1000 dollars to your name puts you in the top 71%
I guess they never heard of student loans. Average graduate student loan debt is 28k. But don't worry 1% of your debt could feed a family of four in Somalia for 4 months! Send them $280 and you feed them for a couple months, send them a credit card and you feed a village for a life time!

Debt is something only people with a decent income or who live in developed countries can afford. Developing countries don't have student loans. If you don't have the money you can't get an education. IMO it's better to be 28K in the hole and have a university degree than to have no debt, but be living hand to mouth and having nothing beyond a primary school education, if you're lucky. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix