By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware up for the weeks ending Jan. 2 & Jan. 9.

Mr_No said:
I'm quite surprised by how the PS4 can sell without being on holidays. And the Vita surprises even more despite the people's pessimism towards it.

Because the Vita is constantly receiving games year round despite what some people says. This are the confirmed releases for January 2016:

- Volume (PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 5 (NA), January 6 (EU)

- Star Wars Pinball ‘The Force Awakens Pack’ (PS4, PS3, PS Vita – PSN) – January 12 (NA & EU)

- A Boy and His Blob (PS4, PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 19 (NA & EU)

- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (PS Vita – Retail & PSN in NA; PSN in EU) – January 19 (NA), January 20 (EU)

- Baseball Riot (PS4, PS Vita – PSN) – January 19 (NA), January 20 (EU)

- Civilization Revolution 2 Plus (PS Vita – PSN) – January 26 (NA & EU)

- LEGO Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, PS3, PS Vita – Retail & PSN) – January 26 (NA), January 29 (EU)

- Saturday Morning RPG (PS4, PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 26 (NA)

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3, PS Vita – Retail & PSN) – January 29 (EU)

Its direct competitor (3DS) just have one game on the pipeline for this month:

- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (01/22/16)

The Vita is one of the most overlooked devices in the history of videogames, it is a shame really.

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
Mr_No said:
I'm quite surprised by how the PS4 can sell without being on holidays. And the Vita surprises even more despite the people's pessimism towards it.

Because the Vita is constantly receiving games year round despite what some people says. This are the confirmed releases for January 2016:

- Volume (PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 5 (NA), January 6 (EU)

- Star Wars Pinball ‘The Force Awakens Pack’ (PS4, PS3, PS Vita – PSN) – January 12 (NA & EU)

- A Boy and His Blob (PS4, PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 19 (NA & EU)

- Atelier Escha & Logy Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (PS Vita – Retail & PSN in NA; PSN in EU) – January 19 (NA), January 20 (EU)

- Baseball Riot (PS4, PS Vita – PSN) – January 19 (NA), January 20 (EU)

- Civilization Revolution 2 Plus (PS Vita – PSN) – January 26 (NA & EU)

- LEGO Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, PS3, PS Vita – Retail & PSN) – January 26 (NA), January 29 (EU)

- Saturday Morning RPG (PS4, PS Vita – PSN, cross-buy) – January 26 (NA)

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3, PS Vita – Retail & PSN) – January 29 (EU)

Its direct competitor (3DS) just have one game on the pipeline for this month:

- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (01/22/16)

The Vita is one of the most overlooked devices in the history of videogames, it is a shame really.

even more impressive is that the HW sales are so small that to justify this manny releases they either buy a lot of HW and are very hardcore or the games break even with small sales, both are incredible... perhaps sony will launch a sucessor.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Star wars battlefront on PS4 has done an impressive job selling more than X1 CoD BO. Shaping up to be the next FPS with ever increasing user base from EA. X1:PS4 =1:3 post holidays!

I think the impending barrage of PS4 exclusives is why the PS4 is selling so well. For the Xbox One we only really have Quantum Break aNY times soon and I have a feeling that it's going to either be completely overshadowed by Uncharted or completely bomb. I predict that Uncharted will outsell Quantum Break by at least 5 to 1 in the US and 10 to 1 worldwide.

CosmicSex said:
I think the impending barrage of PS4 exclusives is why the PS4 is selling so well. For the Xbox One we only really have Quantum Break aNY times soon and I have a feeling that it's going to either be completely overshadowed by Uncharted or completely bomb. I predict that Uncharted will outsell Quantum Break by at least 5 to 1 in the US and 10 to 1 worldwide.

think it's more of a word of mouth thing behind PS4 sales. Even that isn't a good measure of the sales. Cause the XB1 is pretty much h holding its own in NA. The real issue for MS is that outside NA it has zero momentum. And as the PS4 shows every week, sales every where else is more than sales in NA alone. 

The PS4 is also the default multiplat console. 

If Sony doesn't drop the ball going into next gen, then I fear there is nothing MS can do. and next gen they will be even worse off than they were this gen. All Sony has to do is make a similarly/more powerful console and maintain feature and price  parity with the next Xbox and that's it... the next Xbox will be dead on arrival. Cause there will be nothing to make already existing PS4 owners switch to an Xbox. 

Around the Network

concerning for Microsoft and the Xbox One that the Wii U is not selling that much worse than it at this point

unlike Microsoft, Nintendo can manage mediocre home console sales because the 3DS is so consistent

overall Nintendo is selling way more hardware currently with the 3DS + Wii U than Microsoft

if those numbers are true then the Vita is doing very well out nowhere. PS4 obviously continuing to smash. Microsoft will need to get ahold of some better titles for the Xone this year if they want a chance at stopping the PS4. at this rate PS4 is just going to get more and more of the marketshare

Nintendo clearly is already looking ahead to the NX, but I'm not sure what Microsoft can do to save the Xbox One. try and moneyhat some more exclusives? failed with Tomb Raider but arguably that wasn' the best IP to do that with

Intrinsic said:
CosmicSex said:

think it's more of a word of mouth thing behind PS4 sales. Even that isn't a good measure of the sales. Cause the XB1 is pretty much h holding its own in NA. The real issue for MS is that outside NA it has zero momentum. And as the PS4 shows every week, sales every where else is more than sales in NA alone. 

The PS4 is also the default multiplat console. 

If Sony doesn't drop the ball going into next gen, then I fear there is nothing MS can do. and next gen they will be even worse off than they were this gen. All Sony has to do is make a similarly/more powerful console and maintain feature and price  parity with the next Xbox and that's it... the next Xbox will be dead on arrival. Cause there will be nothing to make already existing PS4 owners switch to an Xbox. 

I do agree about world wide but the fact that Sony is winning in Microsoft's stongest market is the big story here.  Afterall the PS3 did beat the 360 last gen, but lost by a long shot in the US.

JRPGfan said:
Why doesnt the US like the vita? Its like it only sells in japan and europe.

Why would they buy a console or handheld with no support

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

CosmicSex said:

I do agree about world wide but the fact that Sony is winning in Microsoft's stongest market is the big story here.  Afterall the PS3 did beat the 360 last gen, but lost by a long shot in the US.

Yh true. 

Well, I've always said that I don't feel the console industry is  big enough for 2 or even 3 major players. If anyone thinks of it it simply makes no sense.

All multiplat games are released on all consoles. So the only thing that differentiates consoles are exclusives. And that differentiator isnt even as big a deal as if once used to be.

I really don't see the sense in having a like for like game for game console out there competing with one or two or more players. When the success margins are that slim in an industry, then all it takes to ruin your chances if success is one small bad pr snaffu (that in the case of the xb1 was even corrected before the console released and with the ps3 it took Sony over 5yrs to rectify)

JRPGfan said:
Why doesnt the US like the vita? Its like it only sells in japan and europe.

I'm not convinced those European sales are accurate, I think this site has been over tracking it by quite a bit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.