By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Technically, Brawl beat Halo 3's first day sales.

darthdevidem01 said:
1.7 Million was USA only

What was in for Europe? I know Halo 3 didn't even do well enough to place first in Japan. 

Around the Network

ioi originally projected 1.25 million for NA first day based on first reports from a few sources. He revised that to around .95 million when all his sources came in. Based on the US numbers Nintendo has put out that would be pretty close.

It also puts it solidly in the #2 sales spot for the generation as far as launches.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Who cares about first day sales. :s It's lifetime sales that are important. Whether a game has legs or not. And seeing as how 1st party Nintendo games have the most extraordinarily long legs of the entire industry, It's pretty much a given Brawl will beat Halo 3.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

tastyshovelware said:
sc94597 said:
Edouble24 said:
daactualfact said:
ok, king of wales, you could have said it a little nicer at the end.

Well, what in the world happened when ioi came and told us that Brawl struck 1.25 mil on 1st day?

It was an estimate and he included other countries like Canada. Nintendo is just talking about North America.

Um no offence , but north america is canada,the united states, and mexico. 

Scoop! 

It's okay Edouble24. 

I, too, was shocked to learn that North America actually had other countries in it besides our USA.  

kingofwale said:
dude.. read this thread
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/17/smash-bros-brawl-sells-record-breaking-1-4-million-first-week-i/

Nintendo's brawler Super Smash Bros. Brawl has smashed records with its US release. According to a press release from Nintendo of America, the game has sold over 1.4 million in the region, with 874,000 of those sales on its March 9 release date.

time to recalculate all your stuff.

It's kind of funny the way Nintendo worded that article.  People looking at it would think it broke the record for best first week but in fact it only broke Nintendo's own record for best first week.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
kingofwale said:
dude.. read this thread
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/17/smash-bros-brawl-sells-record-breaking-1-4-million-first-week-i/

Nintendo's brawler Super Smash Bros. Brawl has smashed records with its US release. According to a press release from Nintendo of America, the game has sold over 1.4 million in the region, with 874,000 of those sales on its March 9 release date.

time to recalculate all your stuff.

It's kind of funny the way Nintendo worded that article. People looking at it would think it broke the record for best first week but in fact it only broke Nintendo's own record for best first week.

Where's the official press release? The part of the quote I'm seeing which makes it seem like that is written by joystiq, not by Nintendo... The only part from Nintendo which I see there is:

"fastest-selling video game in Nintendo of America's history."

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You're right, it's Joystiq's fault for the misleading headline.

Nintendo of America's Online Press Room:

http://press.nintendo.com/loginSplash.jsp

is it really "first day" sales if you count 3 different launch days? wouldnt that be 3 days? even counting 3 days vs 1 , it didnt come close to Halo 3

Nintendo can't seem to produce enough of anything. Wii supply constrained for nearly 2 years? can make enough of any of thier big games for a WW launch day? thats minor league crap

it's not just nintendo

gh3 is usually hard to find in shops around here...and was close to impossible until about a month or so ago

why do u think gh3 wii is still selling 60k/week in Americas 20 weeks after launch?

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

So daactualfact was wrong? Halo 3's first day sales were more than SSBB?

Also, @ WoW

You're so full of win.