By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would Nintendo Software Sales Increase If They Go 3rd Party?

Tagged games:

Would Nintendo Software Sales Increase If They Go 3rd Party?

Yes 53 45.30%

They Might... 24 20.51%

No 40 34.19%

Total:117
Platina said:
Ljink96 said:
Platina said:
Their established titles would, but I doubt new IPs would..

So what about a game like Splatoon? Say Nintendo came out with a game like Splatoon as a 3rd party? 

That's the thing, I don't think it would have done as well

Splatoon is a shooter, meaning it would be competing against established games such as CoD, Halo, etc. so it could possibly have done worse that as we see now.. Hypothetical of course, because it didn't happen so it could go both ways.. but you'll never know :/

So you're implying that the Nintendo fans wouldn't have supported a game like Splatoon as a 3rd party game as much as they have for Wii U as a first party game? I feel like the console casuals have moved on to PS4 and partly to Xbone. Maybe those people who bought the game on hype like the Wii, would be interested in Nintendo's IP?

Around the Network

No... Yes? Maybe? I don't...

Why are we talking about a first party going third party again?

Ljink96 said:
Platina said:

That's the thing, I don't think it would have done as well

Splatoon is a shooter, meaning it would be competing against established games such as CoD, Halo, etc. so it could possibly have done worse that as we see now.. Hypothetical of course, because it didn't happen so it could go both ways.. but you'll never know :/

So you're implying that the Nintendo fans wouldn't have supported a game like Splatoon as a 3rd party game as much as they have for Wii U as a first party game? I feel like the console casuals have moved on to PS4 and partly to Xbone. Maybe those people who bought the game on hype like the Wii, would be interested in Nintendo's IP?

If you put it that way, then I guess so.. Nintendo fans are the people buying Nintendo games so I'm not sure if console 'casuals' would be interested.. :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

t3mporary_126 said:

No... Yes? Maybe? I don't...

Why are we talking about a first party going third party again?

Just out of curiosity. If you read the OP, I stated that Call of Duty has just hit 250Million game sales and is only 25 Million behind Pokemon which predates CoD by almost a decade. I just wanted to know if Nintendo released their games on more platforms, if their sales of Mario and Zelda would increase due to the wider audience available. Not exactly the best comparison but an example of this on Nintendo's own platforms is Smash Bros. It was the only game that matched sales of its predecessor despite the shortcomings of Wii U and 3DS. I just wonder if Nintendo could sell more software if they'd spread out.

Software sales might increase if they go multiplat for somewhat tier 2 IPs. Their big IPs would surely get significant increase.

Around the Network

"The demographic of PS4 and XboxOne is comprised of more mature and hard core gamers."

More mature than what? The demographic is barely different from nintendo's.

I think the games might sell a little more but nintendo would be getting less money per copy because of royalties, would cost more to develop due to multiplatform and they wouldn't be developing on their own hardware.

Ultrashroomz said:
Their bigger name IPs would definitely sell significantly more, but that's about it.

If that means a Square Enix Pokemon game, then why not?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Thunderbird77 said:

"The demographic of PS4 and XboxOne is comprised of more mature and hard core gamers."

I think the games might sell a little more but nintendo would be getting less money per copy because of royalties, would cost more to develop due to multiplatform and they wouldn't be developing on their own hardware.

"Haha I banged your mom last night"

~90% of Xbone community, which is filled with annoying 12 year olds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Thunderbird77 said:

I guess I could have explained more on that. There's not many M rated games on Wii U or 3DS. PS4 and XBone have those titles. It's very rare for me to see profanity on Nintendo consoles. It was such a huge deal. Even The Angry Video Game Nerd was losing his mind that "Fuck" was in a licensed Nintendo game. Profanity, Sex (cough, Witcher 3), and M Rated games in general are more mature things than a plumber eating shrooms and driving go karts.

I agree that they wouldn't be making as much on their software titles due to developing on non-proprietarty hardware. It would also be hard for them to develop their unique games on a system that they'd have to learn at the same time as everyone else.

Ljink96 said:
Thunderbird77 said:

I guess I could have explained more on that. There's not many M rated games on Wii U or 3DS. PS4 and XBone have those titles. It's very rare for me to see profanity on Nintendo consoles. It was such a huge deal. Even The Angry Video Game Nerd was losing his mind that "Fuck" was in a licensed Nintendo game. Profanity, Sex (cough, Witcher 3), and M Rated games in general are more mature things than a plumber eating shrooms and driving go karts.

I agree that they wouldn't be making as much on their software titles due to developing on non-proprietarty hardware. It would also be hard for them to develop their unique games on a system that they'd have to learn at the same time as everyone else.

The audience is still very similar.