By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Champions League to be axed by a top 20 European Elite Club Super League?

pastro243 said:

Can't say about china, but at least here in south america Champions League is a big deal. But I guess that has to do with our players being important on top teams

There was an article I read once saying that Premier league is popular in China thanks the idea that it is corruption free, unlike their own league. Their TV rights bring in £32million. But with a big population, our teams spent time and money on trying to make them fans.

With South America, it makes sense that the CL is big, it is where you get to see the biggest Argentine, Chilean, Brazilian and so on players actually playing against each other instead of in their own league against lesser teams. Yet for Premier League teams, there is so much more money for them in the Prem.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:

Random fact. I live in Leicester and I have a whatsapp group with all my college and secondary school friends. A few months ago someone messaged to say Leicester is top of the league and I thought it was a joke. That night I went out to a bar where a drunk guy kept shouting 3-1 we will win the league and I thought he was drunk. 

If Leicester win, the city will lose its shit. I remember them winning a trophy a longtime ago when Martin O'Neil was still there. They celebrated it like they had won the world cup. 

Sense of scale I guess. Imagine if a small team got drawn into a the FA cup round 4 against Man U. Let's say Dover Athletic. (currently in Conference), they beat them. The fans will be going mad because they weren't expecting it, now, imaging if they carried on and won the FA Cup. People and fans in Dover would talk about it as much as England fans do the world cup in 1966. :P

I mean, as a Saints fan, I'm happy to just be in the premier league and that season when we were second was like dream land compared to being -10 points in League 1. I'm happy just being in the prem and staying there every season because of where we've been before (struggling every season in the prem and then many seasons not in it and broke).

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Fei-Hung said:

Random fact. I live in Leicester and I have a whatsapp group with all my college and secondary school friends. A few months ago someone messaged to say Leicester is top of the league and I thought it was a joke. That night I went out to a bar where a drunk guy kept shouting 3-1 we will win the league and I thought he was drunk. 

If Leicester win, the city will lose its shit. I remember them winning a trophy a longtime ago when Martin O'Neil was still there. They celebrated it like they had won the world cup. 

Sense of scale I guess. Imagine if a small team got drawn into a the FA cup round 4 against Man U. Let's say Dover Athletic. (currently in Conference), they beat them. The fans will be going mad because they weren't expecting it, now, imaging if they carried on and won the FA Cup. People and fans in Dover would talk about it as much as England fans do the world cup in 1966. :P

I mean, as a Saints fan, I'm happy to just be in the premier league and that season when we were second was like dream land compared to being -10 points in League 1. I'm happy just being in the prem and staying there every season because of where we've been before (struggling every season in the prem and then many seasons not in it and broke).

Very true. We have a decent rugby team too but the football team has come far. Wonder if they will lose some of the better players when transfer season begins. It screwed them over last time, hopefully it won't happen again. 

It feels like the biggest victory we have had in the last decade is winning the court case to keep a dead king. 

Fei-Hung said:

Very true. We have a decent rugby team too but the football team has come far. Wonder if they will lose some of the better players when transfer season begins. It screwed them over last time, hopefully it won't happen again. 

It feels like the biggest victory we have had in the last decade is winning the court case to keep a dead king. 

Transfer season is now and the only player I see as leaving is Mahrez. Yet even then, I wouldn't say he's good enough for the "big teams", else wouldn't they have him already? He was with them all last season after all, yet didn't stand out as much as he is now. I think with Leicester it really is a case of the whole team is the reason they are doing well. Great player attitude, great managing and great behind the scenes as well. If you look at the games played in 2015 overall, they'd be 4th. They have to keep up the good work:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/12/31/premier-league-table-for-the-calendar-year-2015/

Hmm, pie.