By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Champions League to be axed by a top 20 European Elite Club Super League?

France league is ridiculous, with PSG 20 points ahead of the competition, as well Bayern just obliterating everything. Dismissing Portugal just because we don't have extremely wealthy teams is another indication of snubbing from these rich assholes that rule football. Portugal's teams have been at least for the last 5 years getting better results than France, which was indicated by our 5th place in the Uefa ranking. And when I talk about Portugal, I also talk about Russia for example.

Basically rich clubs would only get richer and the others would get poorer without the Champions League. The best players all go to these richer clubs and that only makes for football being a boring fest. Every single year we expect the same clubs reach the semi finals in the Champions League, and every year we expect the same winners in their respective leagues. I still remember some years ago we had Porto or Liverpool win the Champions League.

So many clubs in Europe have so much more history than Manchester City, Chelsea or PSG. These clubs were irrelevant until someone injected a huge amount of money. Does that make people love them? I still remember when Manchester City snubbed on Sporting Clube de Portugal (Sporting Lisbon) when they played in the Europa League. The funniest thing is, Sporting and Man City both won a Cup Winners Cup and Sporting reached the Uefa Cup final in 2005. Sporting also won 18 Portuguese Leagues, and several other cups making it 45 cups in total. What did Manchester City won compared to this? What was Man City museum compared to Sporting? Yet, they had that attitude. And yet, they lost the round. This goes to say, if a rich fuck injects millions to Sporting (or another not so rich club), will it make it the best club in the world? What nonsense. /endrant

Around the Network
#
Team
GP
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
PTS
Arsenal
Leicester City
Man City
Tottenham
West Ham

Im sorry which English teams would we invite to said league again??

Fucking idiots, its no different in other leagues too. Yeah it sucks that some of the greatest players play in different leagues but this would just end up killing lower levels of football and making some of the greats actually look like garbage. Somebody in the league has to be the worst.

The Fury said:
Nymeria said:
He said: “The Champions League is worth €1.5 billion (£1.1bn) in TV rights against nearly €7bn (£5.2bn) that the Super Bowl is worth, despite market research telling us that there are 1.6 billion football fans and only 150 million NFL fans.

--------

Is there a breakdown of advertisement time versus sport time? NFL seems to have a ton of ads.

That's a stupid thing to look at anyway. How many Tottenham fans around the world do you really think cares, really, about the Champions League when they aren't in it? Do you think China cares about who is the champions of Europe? Hardly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31386483 - this is just the UK rights. The rest of the world pay another 3 billion between them.

£8billion just for premier league.

Can't say about china, but at least here in south america Champions League is a big deal. But I guess that has to do with our players being important on top teams

I don't think this is a good idea. Why leave outside some competitive teams from less known leagues but with good clubs like Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Greece and Turkey? Many teams from these leagues managed to reach the round of 16 and 8 in the last years.

I think it's a bad idea even if you want to see good competition. I think that what's good about champions league being actually a cup is that on the knock out stages in just two matchs a "weaker team" can beat a huge team.

Honestly, if it was a league format, I doubt Juve would have ended second even if I think it was an awesome team. Madrid, Barca and Bayern I think would just be more regular. I can't see actual english teams o italian teams keeping up the pace, but I can see them beating them in a K.O. Stage

Around the Network
gamingpotato7 said:

France league is ridiculous, with PSG 20 points ahead of the competition, as well Bayern just obliterating everything. Dismissing Portugal just because we don't have extremely wealthy teams is another indication of snubbing from these rich assholes that rule football. Portugal's teams have been at least for the last 5 years getting better results than France, which was indicated by our 5th place in the Uefa ranking. And when I talk about Portugal, I also talk about Russia for example.

France league is ridiculous now (thanks Paris...), but a few years ago Lyon was one of the best european clubs (I would say Top 20 or better, one of the most regular ones in the Champions League with Arsenal IIRC), and was one of the clubs involved in this project (I don't know about now, but I think they'll manage to get in). This idea is nothing new and has been discussed for years, with fluctuating definitions and "borders". Some clubs are better now than what they were then (Leicester ^^, Paris...), others not so much (Chelsea, Lyon...), but I think this is about the potential, finances and regularity of each club. We'll see how it turns out, if it ever works.

A sports that is heavily regulated? Put a cap on what people earn in the football industry and you might see some real competition return.

Faelco said:
gamingpotato7 said:

France league is ridiculous now (thanks Paris...), but a few years ago Lyon was one of the best european clubs (I would say Top 20 or better, one of the most regular ones in the Champions League with Arsenal IIRC), and was one of the clubs involved in this project (I don't know about now, but I think they'll manage to get in). This idea is nothing new and has been discussed for years, with fluctuating definitions and "borders". Some clubs are better now than what they were then (Leicester ^^, Paris...), others not so much (Chelsea, Lyon...), but I think this is about the potential, finances and regularity of each club. We'll see how it turns out, if it ever works.

Lyon was more like in Top10 some years ago. I think they reached the semi-finals two times and got knocked down from Bayern and Barcelona respectively? Squad had some top players like Juninho, Govou and some others i am forgetting that when they left, the squad lost personality on the field.

PowerXXX said:
Faelco said:
gamingpotato7 said:

Lyon was more like in Top10 some years ago. I think they reached the semi-finals two times and got knocked down from Bayern and Barcelona respectively? Squad had some top players like Juninho, Govou and some others i am forgetting that when they left, the squad lost personality on the field.

10 years ago, top 10 easily :) Only one semi-final against Bayern, but the other defeats were against Barcelona, Manchester United, Milan... Even a few years later in 2010, Lyon knocked down the newly formed "galactic" Madrid with Ronaldo, Benzema, Kaka for example. So yes, Lyon was a huge club, but never became really big financially and invested heavily in a new stadium (the first club-owned stadium in France). In the last few years, Lyon had to save quite a lot of money to finance the stadium and sold some important players (Martial of Manchester United is from Lyon...) and has a really young and a bit inexperienced team (mostly young players formed by the club).

But the new Lyon stadium opened last week ! :D So from now on the club will have more money again and should be back on its feet (hopefully) pretty quickly.

Faelco said:
PowerXXX said:
Faelco said:
gamingpotato7 said:

10 years ago, top 10 easily :) Only one semi-final against Bayern, but the other defeats were against Barcelona, Manchester United, Milan... Even a few years later in 2010, Lyon knocked down the newly formed "galactic" Madrid with Ronaldo, Benzema, Kaka for example. So yes, Lyon was a huge club, but never became really big financially and invested heavily in a new stadium (the first club-owned stadium in France). In the last few years, Lyon had to save quite a lot of money to finance the stadium and sold some important players (Martial of Manchester United is from Lyon...) and has a really young and a bit inexperienced team (mostly young players formed by the club).

But the new Lyon stadium opened last week ! :D So from now on the club will have more money again and should be back on its feet (hopefully) pretty quickly.

Wow i didn't know they got their own stadium this month. This is great news for the club. Wikipedia says that the project started in 2008 and costed 415 million! I think that the team can only go up from here. Having a club-owned stadium is the most important thing for a football club because it makes lot of money. See Juventus for example. They got important in Europe again after getting the stadium and winning the league. Meanwhile teams like Inter, Milan, Roma, Lazio share 2 stadiums and don't own a thing. But to ther defence, goverments are not so helpful in this matter, so unless you have a big investor (and good connections.....) you can't do much.