By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The wii needs more western support.

In my opinion, Wiiware could be the start of more western support on the Wii, its cheap so the can test the console and then start making disc-based games

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Around the Network

Oh dear, I seem to have gotten sandwiched unnecessarily into an ongoing debate... Also, the idea of Oblivion as a "gem" makes me laugh. I've rarely played such a broken RPG, so broken that the efforts of the development team to un-break it ultimately broke it even worse.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Oh dear, I seem to have gotten sandwiched unnecessarily into an ongoing debate... Also, the idea of Oblivion as a "gem" makes me laugh. I've rarely played such a broken RPG, so broken that the efforts of the development team to un-break it ultimately broke it even worse.

I actually liked it. I thought it was the 2nd best in the series. What didn't you like about it?

Here is the Wii's Western support for games that can be labeled "hardcore"(My opinion):

THQ(California, United States)

Released
Smackdown vs. RAW 2008(Fighting/Sports)
Worms: A Space Oddity(Strategy/Puzzle)
MX vs. ATV Unleashed(Racing)

In Development
de Blob(Puzzle/Platformer)
Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed(Action/Adventure)
Deadly Creatures(Action/Adventure)
Battle of the Bands(Rhythm/Music)

Midway (Illinois, United States)

Released
Cruis'n(Racing/Frisbee)
Rampage: Total Destruction(Fighting)
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon(Fighting)

In Development
TNA Impact(Wrestling/Sports)
Blitz 2008(Football/Sports)

Atari (France)

Released
Godzilla: Unleashed(Fighting)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2(Fighting)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3(Fighting)

In Development
Alone in the Dark(Adventure)

2K Games (New York, United States)

Released
The Bigs(Baseball/Sports)
MLB Power Pros(Baseball/Sports)
Major Legue Baseball 2K8(Baseball/Sports)

In Development
Top Spin 3(Tennis/Sports)
Civilization Revolution(Simulation/Strategy)

Eidos Interactive (California, United States)

Released
Death Jr. Root of Evil(Action)
Lara Croft Tomb Raider Anniversary(Adventure)

In Development
Monster Lab(Strategy/Action)

Rockstar (New York, United States)

Released
Bully: Scholarship Edition(Action/Sandbox)
Manhunt 2(Action)
Rockstar presents Table Tennis(Ping Pong/Sports)

In Development
????????????????

Ubisoft (France)

Released
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII(Flight/Action)
Driver: Parallel Lines(Action/Sandbox)
Far Cry Vengeance(FPS)
GT Pro Series(Racing)
Monster 4x4 World Circuit(Racing)
Nitrobike(Racing)
No More Heroes(Action/Adventure)
Prince of Persia: Rival Swords(Action/Adventure)
Red Steel(FPS)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent(Action/Stealth)

In Development
1701 A.D.(Simulation/Strategy)
Alive(Adventure)
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30(FPS)
Prince of Persia Next Gen(Action/Adventure)

Majesco (New Jersey, United States)

Released
Bust a Move Bash(Puzzle)

In Development
Blast Works: Build, Trade and Destroy(2D Horizontal Space Shooter)

Activision (California, United States)

Released
Call of Duty 3(FPS)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance(Action/RPG)
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam(Skateboarding/Sports)
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground(Skateboarding/Sports)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock(Rhythm/Music)

In Development
Guitar Hero Aerosmith(Rhythm/Music)
James Bond 007(????)

Sierra Entertainment (Washington, United States)

Released
Crash of the Titans(Action/Platformer)
Geometry Wars Galaxies(2D Space Shooter)
The Legend of Spyro(Platformer)
Scarface the World Is Yours(Action/Sandbox)

In Development
Ghostbusters The Videogame(Action/Adventure)

Crave Entertainment (California, United States)

Released
Pinball Hall of Fame The Williams Collection(Puzzle/Pinball)

In Development
????????????????????

Electronic Arts (California, United States)

Released
FIFA Soccer 08(Soccer/Sports)
Madden NFL 07(Football/Sports)
Madden NFL 08(FootballSports)
Medal of Honor Heroes 2(FPS)
Medal of Honor Vanguard(FPS)
NBA Live 08(Basketball/Sports)
Need For Speed Carbon(Racing)
Need For Speed Prostreet(Racing)
SSX Blur(Snowboarding/Sports)
The Godfather Blackhand Edition(Action/Adventure)
The Simpsons Game(Action/Adventure)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07(Golf/Sports)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08(Golf/Sports)

In Development
Boom Blox(Puzzle)
Facebreaker(Boxing/Sports)
Madden NFL 09(Football/Sports)
NCAA Football 09(Football/Sports)
Need For Speed 2008(Racing)
The Godfather II(Action/Adventure)

Codemasters (United Kingdom)

Released
Heatseeker(Flight/Action)

In Development
Emergency Mayhem(Racing/Action)

LucasArts (California, United States)

Released
LEGO Star Wars The Complete Saga(Action/Adventure)
Thrillville: Off the Rails(Simulation/Amusement Park)

In Development
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Batman
Star Wars The Force Unleashed

Ignition Entertainment (Illinois, United States)

Released
Obscure The Aftermath(Action/Adventure)
Mercury Meltdown Revolution(Puzzle/Action)

In Development
????????????? 

Bethesda Softworks (Maryland, United States)

Released
Star Trek Conquest(Strategy)

In Development
??????????????

That's a lot of western developers putting their western published games on the Wii. If anything, it's Japanese publishers that need to get on board. As far as western RPGs, you have Marvel Ultimate Alliance and it's future sequel, not much else yet. As far as First Person Shooters, there's been 7-8 of them with 2 being worthy of purchase. I can understand your desire for more of those two genres, but it seems western developers are the ones putting support behind the Wii, no matter how bad quality some of these games are. I tried not to list anything that was obviously shovelware, just whatever good and mediocre games these developers made that aren't categorized as casual, so no minigames or child oriented games. Pray for more Japanese development, or pray for BETTER western development.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

The poor gameplay balancing and grind-tastic gameplay, mostly. The former made the latter even worse. The game seems to derive NPC stats from your own, which on top of defeating the purpose of leveling up almost as brilliantly as FF8's "enemies level with you" system does, also makes it so that some absolutely ridiculous things can happen. Like, say, sending a horse running off at mach 5 when you hit it because your Speed stat's maxed. With all the grinding you have to do to get your abilities up to par, the fact that your enemies all end up exactly as abled as you just adds a whole new layer of insult.

Oh, and I really don't like how almost every mission boils down to one choice, that choice almost always being either "kill somebody and collect proof of their death" or "steal something and don't get caught".

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

That's a lot of western developers putting their western published games on the Wii. If anything, it's Japanese publishers that need to get on board. As far as western RPGs, you have Marvel Ultimate Alliance and it's future sequel, not much else yet. As far as First Person Shooters, there's been 7-8 of them with 2 being worthy of purchase. I can understand your desire for more of those two genres, but it seems western developers are the ones putting support behind the Wii, no matter how bad quality some of these games are. I tried not to list anything that was obviously shovelware, just whatever good and mediocre games these developers made that aren't categorized as casual, so no minigames or child oriented games. Pray for more Japanese development, or pray for BETTER western development.

Um most of those games are either ports or not too good. NOw look at consoles like the ps3 and 360 and the western games are actually good.

Dodece said:

Here is the Wii's Western support for games that can be labeled "hardcore"(My opinion):

<snip>

Well said.

Actually, I wouldn't even go so far as to say the Wii has much RPG support in general. The only RPG I have for my Wii currently is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. And it's a SRPG. Dragon Quest: Swords is a farce.

The Wii needs some RPG's in general...The Wii is really needing some JRPG's!  I'm disappointed as of now.

I'm aware they're some coming, but not many right now.

If there were, I'd own them.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

DragonLord said:
Actually, I wouldn't even go so far as to say the Wii has much RPG support in general. The only RPG I have for my Wii currently is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. And it's a SRPG. Dragon Quest: Swords is a farce.

The Wii needs some RPG's in general...I'm aware they're some coming, but not many right now.

Well it's getting some this year. ToS, FFCC,MH3,Opoona,Baroque,etc

sc94597 said:
DragonLord said:

The Wii needs some RPG's in general...I'm aware they're some coming, but not many right now.

Well it's getting some this year. ToS, FFCC,MH3,Opoona,Baroque,etc

ToS will probably be okay.

FFCC will be Wiiware and not quite like other RPGs.

MH3 is normally Japan centric - maybe good, maybe bad.

Opoona... looks pretty dumb actually.  It could be a sleeper hit, but that's unlikely.

Baroque was already panned by at least one reviewer wasn't it?