By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Updated] Can Mario kart 8 Surpass Super Mario Kart Sales-Wise?

So?

Yes! 69 49.29%

No! 35 25.00%

Maybe? 36 25.71%

Total:140
retroking1981 said:
I don't think so.

Lets say it continues its 60% attach rate with those 800k consoles Nintendo intend to ship. Thats an additional 480k for MK8, lets be generous and round that up to 800k for legacy sales and we're looking at 8.3m, which is amazing all things considered.

Last quarter.

Wii U: 200,000

Mario Kart 8: 260,000

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
retroking1981 said:
I don't think so.

Lets say it continues its 60% attach rate with those 800k consoles Nintendo intend to ship. Thats an additional 480k for MK8, lets be generous and round that up to 800k for legacy sales and we're looking at 8.3m, which is amazing all things considered.

Last quarter.

Thats intersting. 

If we follow that, which is the game selling 130% against HW and Nintendo hit their 800k for the FY then MK8 would sell 1,040k

Could be closer than I thought, but I'll stick with no.

Peronally love the game and would love to see it do it though.

Ryng_Tolu said:
retroking1981 said:
I don't think so.

Last quarter.

That's really impressive. I guess this will be close either way... a nice feat for Mario Kart 8.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Miyamotoo said:
DivinePaladin said:
It's gonna be really damn close unless they cut off shipments early. 800K more Wii Us sold lifetime, just about, with about 200K per quarter for MK8 looking like the current trend for the next quarter or two, maybe a tad more in Winter assuming there aren't any fall games, it's entirely possible.

Either way this will probably be the last time we see such a high attach rate on a main console. It's gonna end up over 50% for sure lifetime, possibly close to 60%.

Actually MK8 currently have attach rate of around 60%, 7.5m on 12.8m consoles.

That's currently, though.  It's gotta maintain that for the last leg of Wii U sales, and increase slightly (it's at 58% if these numbers are to be believed), meaning that there needs to be 700K of the last million or so Wii U consoles sold for it to definitively break 60% at the end of the lifetime.  Even if it does 65% attach rate for all new owners (assuming the system ends around 14m units total), and sells 8.2m lifetime, it'll still be below 60%.

Which, still, is absolutely insane, and will hold as the last high attach rate IMO, but it's not 60% lifetime unless it sells incredibly disproportionately compared to now.  (If they do a Nintendo Selects, that's got a better chance of happening)

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually MK8 currently have attach rate of around 60%, 7.5m on 12.8m consoles.

That's currently, though.  It's gotta maintain that for the last leg of Wii U sales, and increase slightly (it's at 58% if these numbers are to be believed), meaning that there needs to be 700K of the last million or so Wii U consoles sold for it to definitively break 60% at the end of the lifetime.  Even if it does 65% attach rate for all new owners (assuming the system ends around 14m units total), and sells 8.2m lifetime, it'll still be below 60%.

Which, still, is absolutely insane, and will hold as the last high attach rate IMO, but it's not 60% lifetime unless it sells incredibly disproportionately compared to now.  (If they do a Nintendo Selects, that's got a better chance of happening)

I think will end up around 60%.

Around the Network

IF it beats SMK, it will hit 60% no matter what, since the Wii U will almost certainly not pass 14.5m at this point. But it's up in the air otherwise, depending on how well the game tracks compared to the system and how many more units are produced for either. Right now it has to sell absolute minimum 10% more units than the Wii U on a consistent basis from here on out to hit 60% marketshare. That's entirely doable, yeah, but that'd be an insanely impressive streak to go on, almost on par with hitting 60% at all! I think it'll stick right around 58% at its current pace unless they do some bonkers sale - doubtful considering people will pay $60 for that game either way - or hit a Selects version for $30 after the NX launches. It's gonna be close though.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!