By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro gamers, which do you prefer? Emulation or Original Hardware?

Tagged games:

Old hardware or emulation?

Ain't nothing like the real thing! 58 55.24%

Emulation rocks! 26 24.76%

I just want to play the games! 20 19.05%

Nobody wants to play your old games, old man! 1 0.95%

Total:105

Emulation once games run at 100% and glitches for most games are unoticeable/fixable. The only console that has lasted the test of time is my Gamecube, but the Gamecube has been somewhat obsolete even if we disregard Dolphin. My PS2's, N64, PS1, SNES games, GBA, GBC, etc etc all have a problem or two that I must deal with(either dead save batteries or disc drives mostly.) Additionally the experience for 3D game greatly surpasses the original titles with no aliasing, enhanced textures, and framerates.

Around the Network

emulation : looks better,ease of use, save states, not needing to have 10 differnt units hooked up or cables in&out.
orignal hardware: knowing game is running at speed its supposed to, its as reactive as it should be, no glitches.

I prefer to play on the original hardware whenever possible. Emulators just produce way too many bugs. It's often small things which most people don'T care about, but I find it quite annoying. For example the boxes when emulating PS2. I can't even really describe it, but when you look closely at an emulated PS2 games, the screens seems like it's made of many little boxes. Even on the PS4 that is the case! And that's just one example of how games in an emulator are different. I just want to be as close to the original as possible.

I do play with emulators though. Mostly when it's the best option available, like on my PSP Go. It's just great to carry around the whole library of NES, SNES, Game Boy and GBA in such a small device and play whatever you want whenever you want wherever you want. I also bought San Andreas for PS4. I missed that game back in the day and just thought it would be the perfect opportunity to play that little gem finally. And yeah, they got me with trophies. I can't deny it, I'm a little trophy whore. Please don't hurt me. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Well, I go with the originals, but I want as many people as possible to go for emulators, as it makes it cheaper for me to buy the games.

Nothing like the real thing. I never emulate, it's just not the same. Also, I don't care about resolution when playing SNES games or anything. Nor do I care about saving all the time, why should I?

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Original hardware
Its more relliable and stable experience and its easier to use. The controllers are also authentic. And i have a huge physical backlog which i havent even finished yet, so i have no excuse for downloading every rom i want.

This is definitely a factor for me as well. I've got literally hundreds of games yet to play, so I've got no reason to emulate.

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

JRPGfan said:
emulation : looks better,ease of use, save states, not needing to have 10 differnt units hooked up or cables in&out.
orignal hardware: knowing game is running at speed its supposed to, its as reactive as it should be, no glitches.

I like having 10 units hooked up to my TV, makes for an awesome game room.

Unless the game is impossible to get, I almost always go for the physical option. However I will buy games on PSN/VC from time to time.

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

Nothing beats the original hardware. I'll always but the physical version of a game for collector's sake, unless the game is expensive or really hard to find, like EarthBound

All else being equal, gotta go OH. You get to use the intended controller, and there's no risk of funky emulation bugs: just the original bugs, thank you very much.