By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - US Gov't investigating PS3's Blu-ray

NeoRatt said:
These kinds of patent suits are happening all the time. Nothing to be alarmed about. But, I think Sony would be in a lot of trouble if Antitrust did an investigation as it is now a monopoly for HD Movie distribution.

no they aren't

the entire BDA owns Blu-ray

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
These kinds of patent suits are happening all the time. Nothing to be alarmed about. But, I think Sony would be in a lot of trouble if Antitrust did an investigation as it is now a monopoly for HD Movie distribution.

Well, there are still HD downloads on Xbox Live, right?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

The worst part is these patent trolls always wait until there's a lot of stuff in distribution or the thing is successful before attempting a lawsuit so that it'll put more pressure on the companies to pay them off.

Edit:  And I know it comes from Gamespot, but that really is a terrible title. :P

BenKenobi88 said:

In the case of patent trolls like this, I really do think the system is broken. I seriously doubt her technology patented was similar enough to the diodes used in HD players, and I'm confused why she waited until now to bring it up.

The problem is that making anything sufficiently sophisticated nowadays, the way to get there is plastered with patents. There are certainly over 100 patents involved when making a blue laser diode, and who's to blame if the company that makes it does not discover every single patent? Happens all the time, even without the widely known "patent trolling". Her patents seem to be solid, so we can expect that the companies are going to settle out of court for a nondisclosed sum as quickly as possible.

I love how, without any real investigation whatsoever, everyone jumps in with the whole "patent troll" thing...
Could it be that, GASP, someone is using her technology and, GASPER, she never gave them the OK? I mean for the love of god people, read okr's summery of the thread, 'cause he is pretty much dead on.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

Around the Network

^^ yep. That's what I thought when I say okr's post. So many others don't read the other posts and just jump to conclusions.

Thanks @ mrjuju & superchunk.

@ Most other posters: Use Brain Training. Nintendo claims it helps (although not with me, I'm afraid: Dr. Kawashima sometimes says my brain is 60 or even older).

I think we all do not know enough about this subject, I only did some quick google research after reading superchunk's initial post.

But don't worry - nothing is in danger. None of the companies, none of the technologies. The case will be settled out of court some day just as the Rothschild vs. Philips case 11 days ago. The agreement was obviously that Philips gave millions to sponsor a "Philips Electronics Professorship" at her former university, Columbia University, NY (that's the ironic & funny part).

This is a very interesting topic. From her biography she was actually a pioneer and one of the world's leading scientists for this technology over decades. I think it's also interesting that she started with her work on this technology in the 50s, was hired then by Philips and worked for them from 1960 to 1985, before she became a professor at Columbia university.

Very interesting lady, indeed.

Traffic lights have been around forever, why crab about it now?

Username2324 said:
Traffic lights have been around forever, why crab about it now?

So has almost every technology listed on there... Why she's suing it now?

Well, I'm sure she's only suing them for pride and is willing to donate all the money to a worthy cause. :P

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

And the random rant goes on...