By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Contributor to Forbes : Sony VR to be more than x 3 that of Oculus Rift In 2016

JOKA_ said:
I just don't see it. Call me pessimistic but the prices are just too high. Plunking down an extra ~$400 on a peripheral for a console that you already spent a couple hundred on, to play a limited amount of games doesn't scream mass market to me (it screams Kinect).

Well the kinect did sell 20 million

Around the Network

With the right price and the right games I can see Sony dominating the VR market as it's doing right now with gaming market.

Can't imagine it'll be much cheaper though, which makes the installed base argument near worthless. Out of those 13 million who have a PC capable of proper VR (I happily count myself among them), the percentage of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for VR is probably vastly bigger than that of those 36 million PS4 owners.
The average gamer doesn't really spend that much money on gaming and tech; people who have powerful PC's are a lot more likely to.

In short; it's a very simplified argument. As for myself; VR isn't really interesting yet at this point and appears nothing more than a gimmick for now, and I would not pay several hundred dollars for it (the total cost with VATS, taxes and transport fees will go into the 800-850$ ranger here in the Nordic region, which is way beyond ridiculous for a peripheral with almost zero function and impact yet).

Sony VR does require a PS4, correct?

There needs to be an incredibly compelling game that is exclusive to Sony VR for me to even consider this. And I don't see that happening. Every initial game is going to be a novelty to "showcase" the tech and the experience. And a game like No Man's Sky will certainly not be tied down and only available on VR. No way.

For me personally, I consider myself a tech geek, hardcore gamer, I always want to experience the cutting edge and there is zero interest in this for. Even No Man's Sky is something I want to experience, but I don't want to spend another $400-500 to wear an apparatus on my head to make me feel like I'm in that world. I've been playing video games since the early 80s and I already feel immersed and lost in these incredible worlds that developers create today.

Terrible title, but I definitely think Sony has a great opportunity on their hands. Everyone that has a PS4 can use the Sony VR and I feel that mainstream VR hinges upon the success of this. Look at what happened to the Kinect. It was a cool device, but really gimmicky and crappy implementation in games. The Sony VR has to deliver a great experience and have games that look and play great on it otherwise VR is going to be stunted, at least in the mainstream's eyes.

Around the Network

I would have thought this went without saying.

OR has to and will make all their money from selling the hardware and that's it. Same with every PC hardware out there (unless the people that spend $500 on a gpu really thing that chip cost $450 to make). cause no chance in hell that OR cost anything near $599 to make. Each one probably costs no more than $350.

Sonys biggest advantage is and has always been that PSVr is for a console with an already existing symbiotic install base model. So they can subsidize the sost of the hardware to all hell and make money from selling software.

I expect that eventually they will sell the PSvr for PCs too.

It's hard to imagine these headsets taking off. Price is certainly a barrier, but I think a far larger barrier is convincing a larger population that putting to screens very close to your eyes is a good idea.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

dangerguy said:
Sony VR does require a PS4, correct?

There needs to be an incredibly compelling game that is exclusive to Sony VR for me to even consider this. And I don't see that happening. Every initial game is going to be a novelty to "showcase" the tech and the experience. And a game like No Man's Sky will certainly not be tied down and only available on VR. No way.

For me personally, I consider myself a tech geek, hardcore gamer, I always want to experience the cutting edge and there is zero interest in this for. Even No Man's Sky is something I want to experience, but I don't want to spend another $400-500 to wear an apparatus on my head to make me feel like I'm in that world. I've been playing video games since the early 80s and I already feel immersed and lost in these incredible worlds that developers create today.

Same here... I could have written this post.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

I'm torn. On one side I would say screw it, I used to be an early adopter, and go spend 2k on a gaming rig and get OR. But it's not just me anymore and I know it will be a waste of money to enjoy a gen 1 product instead of waiting it out a bit first.

I still have the first digital video camera (JVC GR-DV1) $2000 at the time and useless nowadays. $3000 on an amp with the first DTS decoder, paid $600 for one of the first dvd drives, $1200 for an early dvd player. $600 for the first consumer VR headset is not that much, however things are moving much faster nowadays. Better and more affordable won't be long. Of course there must still be early adopters to get the ball rolling. It seems pre-orders are going well enough.

Bah it sucks to grow up and become responsible. Still rocking 1080p like it's 2005 :/ That was my last early adoption $3500 for a 52" 1080p tv. $600 for 55" nowadays lol.

I think that Sony does have a pretty good opportunity here to really take the lead on consumer VR. What we've been hearing from both people who have used PSVR, and devs is that it is very nearly as good of an experience as the Rift. So if Sony can get the price right they could potentially offer 90% of the experience for 50/60% of the cost.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.