By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Wars open world RPG enters Kickstarter

It'll never happen since Disney owns the rights and they gave the video game mantle to the likes of EA and Activision.

A man can dream though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

If the guys at Red Fly Studios haven't been able to get EA to give them a chance with their Darth Maul video game how come this guy thinks he has a chance?

He must be joking.

Just trying to see what happens.

Or must have an extremely positive outlook on life.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

No thanks. The Star Wars "Like", made me say no. If it were official, i'd be all over it. Or even a new Knights Of The Old Republic.

Yeah, 200,000 should be enough......

....to pay the licensing fee.

The guy has no people besides himself to make the game, doesn't seem to have a plan beyond "I wanna make a Star Wars RPG" and doesn't seem to realize how licensing and copyright work whatsoever... I can pretty much guarantee that if this somehow will make its $200k goal that the guy will just pocked the money and will be hit with a cease and desist order.

Also lol'd at this: "I am currently looking into talking with Disney if I am able to do this. If not then there might have to be a compromise on the name or some other parts."

What is this dude thinking?! Does he think he can just make a game with Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and other Star Wars characters and just release his product as long as it's not named Star Wars? Fucking lol, he'd be in trouble if he had a character even somewhat resemble a Stormtrooper. Also to answer his question if Disney is ok with it: of course they aren't, we'd be swimming in Star Wars game if shit like this was possible!

Around the Network

Dude has no idea how game making works.

Either Disney or EA are going to shut this down soon enough. Also, don't give them ideas, I don't want EA kickstarting Star Wars games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Maybe the point of this kickstarter was to, basically, inform EA of the demand for this type of game? I, personally, would love an open world RPG star wars game like Xenoblade or something.

I read this outlook about this kickstarter and somehow I saw it in a different light, a little bit:

I’ve seen a lot of people making fun of Devin on Twitter, which sucks. I mean, yes, a campaign like this is hopelessly naive, and displays a stunning lack of understanding of even the basics of stuff like copyright law (not to mention the complexity of game development).

There are problems with his proposed rewards (with no difference between the $5 and $10 pledge). There are problems with his spelling (“obi one kinobi”).

But read this:

I am currently looking into talking with Disney if I am able to do this. If not then there might have to be a compromise on the name or some other parts. I need your help. I am not a very good programmer, and I’m an even worst artist. I want to put this project into the hands of professionals, but in order to do that I need money to hire them. This was my dream as a kid I hope you can share my same compassion, thank you.

I know a lot of you reading this will have had the same dream, or at least something close. Hell, I did; for a long time as a kid/teen, my fantasy game was X-Wing vs Dark Forces (working title), a game where (in my head) you could land a starfighter and get out for some shooting/RPG action across the Star Wars universe.

Thing is, I did nothing about it.

So what if Devin’s asking for $200,000 and his spelling sucks? What some will call a fraud or just laugh at, I see as a guy who maybe doesn’t know any better getting off his ass and doing something about one of his dreams, regardless of how futile his efforts will likely end up. After all, all Devin is doing is asking for money; he’s not the guy actually donating their cash, like it was some kind of internet joke (and people are donating; the pledged amount has hovered around the $7000-$8000 mark as I write this).

I asked Devin about his Kickstarter, and he said “I’m a little scared on the legality of this. If I do not receive the go-ahead from Disney, then I am not sure what I will do. I’m not even sure if i am allowed to make a Kickstarter with their name. I guess I will find out.”

More in the link:

http://kotaku.com/bless-this-sweet-little-star-wars-kickstarter-1751217259

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

If this guy by some miracle actually ends up making a real KotOR 3, I'm personally going to fly to wherever he lives, to shake his hand.