By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The next Nintendo Handheld needs to be more powerful

Definitely, the next handheld has to be more powerful, but the issue is price and power don't come hand in hand :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I would have to agree.

Sony's Playstation Vita proved once and for all that powerful hardware is essential in the fight against the growing smartphone market. Nintendo would be foolish not to follow their lead.

Haha! Win!

The 3DS and the Vita actually proved the opposite OP. Handhelds won't be able to survive if they are priced at 300 or more. "No one" is willing to pay more than 250 for a portable these days. So, the power will be what can be done to fit that constriction. 

I don't want Nintendo stop being innovative. in fact, the things I listed are simply "dreams". I don't expect any of them to occur. They're just nice things that'd be appreciated.

Then again, Nintendo can innovate in many ways. I just think that a boost in hardware wouldn't hurt them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I don't particularly care about how many ps it has. With a small device, pixel density isn't too much of an issue for me. Nintendo's #1 priority needs to be doing something that can't easily be replicated on phones. I think Streetpass is a neat feature that can be build upon, as is NFC (amiibo). Stuff like that will be more important than pixel density.

JWeinCom said:
I don't particularly care about how many ps it has. With a small device, pixel density isn't too much of an issue for me. Nintendo's #1 priority needs to be doing something that can't easily be replicated on phones. I think Streetpass is a neat feature that can be build upon, as is NFC (amiibo). Stuff like that will be more important than pixel density.

I think pixel density only bothered me because it limited Nintendo from making games have quality similar to Xenoblade.

When I played it on the 3DS, it really bothered me for how low the resolution is.

for the other games, I'm perfectly fine. However, it'd be nice if it were at least HD. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
JWeinCom said:

I think pixel density only bothered me because it limited Nintendo from making games have quality similar to Xenoblade.

When I played it on the 3DS, it really bothered me for how low the resolution is.

for the other games, I'm perfectly fine. However, it'd be nice if it were at least HD. 

I'm not going to complain about power, but it's kind of a losing battle.  They just can't keep up with the 6 month hardware cycles cell phones have, so power can't be a selling point.  It's definitely not a big deal to me.  

I mean, the 3DS is a savage, though.

I think if a new handheld were to be produced, it will be stronger. However, pricing will be tricky. Nowadays, I don't think a majority of people are willing to fork in $250 for such a device, especially if it can't do some of the daily things phones and tablets do, especially in the West. While the Vita has shown how powerful handheld gaming can be, it also showed that it's not what a lot of people wanted (nor was the price). Though as we know, handheld gaming is something only Nintendo appears to understand as they can integrate their software with the handheld hardware effectively and create experiences that you can't find on any console (home or handheld) like Pokemon. So I guess, ultimately, the price is something we all have to consider.

Kai_Mao said:
I think if a new handheld were to be produced, it will be stronger. However, pricing will be tricky. Nowadays, I don't think a majority of people are willing to fork in $250 for such a device, especially if it can't do some of the daily things phones and tablets do, especially in the West. While the Vita has shown how powerful handheld gaming can be, it also showed that it's not what a lot of people wanted (nor was the price). Though as we know, handheld gaming is something only Nintendo appears to understand as they can integrate their software with the handheld hardware effectively and create experiences that you can't find on any console (home or handheld) like Pokemon. So I guess, ultimately, the price is something we all have to consider.

Well, Pokemon is their only experience you can't get on console, and only because they're stubborn. Most all their other franchises, certainly their biggest ones, have existed on both handheld and console and play pretty much the same.

But I agree on pricing, whatever they do it needs to stay at $200 max.

Looking at what you're listing and how Nintendo needs to keep the price low ($200 at launch should be their goal), I'd say Nintendo should only adopt some of your suggestions. Getting a gigabyte or three of RAM should be simple enough (many smart phones already have 2 GB), especially for an improved OS, and the Snapdragon-ish CPU would be good. But I really don't think HD is needed for a handheld, especially one with the two smaller screens like the DS and 3DS have. Something near standard definition, maybe 200 pixels per inch instead of the 300+ of smart phones, would be fine.

As for 3D, I think it might be worth keeping, at least to an extent. 3D didn't take off that much, but I'm not sure how much it's adding to the cost of each unit. Maybe there could be two versions of the handheld, one with the 3D and a bit of extra power to manage it for a slightly higher price (bundled with a simple game)?

Love and tolerate.