By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft totally mess up their holiday strategy?

Do you agree?

Yes 135 49.82%

No 54 19.93%

Microsoft had a good stra... 82 30.26%

Total:271
OttoniBastos said:
As i said in the past MS decided to played safe this holiday and imo will keep this strategy through the gen.

They wasted too much money last year trying to push Xone and for what? selling more than the competition for two months in only one country?! Plus, their flagship IPs are showing some fatigue caused either by annual sequels(Forza) or a sequence of bad PR/design decisions(Halo).

MS will try to release the next xbox before PS5 and i'm almost sure they will start to shift software development to it very soon.For now they will keep Xone going foward without much pressure just like nintendo kept WiiU until now.(with the advantage that Xone has third party support to push the sales more)

Forza is not a annual franchise Forza Motorsports and Forza Horizon are two different games made by two different developers Turn 10 and Playground Games.

Around the Network

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 11 September 2018

No, Ms did well, they acted as if everybody was "their" fan and verybody would just buy into Halo...

Sony just showed up this time around and made some slight adjustments to their pricing/bundling strategy, while MS were not willing to burn the house down to sell the terrain it sits on this year... so obviously people bought more PS4s.

TL:DR; MS acted as is they were winners, they slowed down the pace and hopped they had enough momentum... while in reality when you are the underdog you have to keep pushing really hard for people to not just forget you exist as an option.

Well the only way they would increase the gap to more then 2 years between each Motorsport and Horizon game is if they brought back the PGR franchise. 

Since when is selling 1.2million units in 1 country in 1 month a messed up strategy?

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Since when is selling 1.2million units in 1 country in 1 month a messed up strategy?

The PS4 sold 1.6 million. In a market were Xbox usually dominate's, especially during the holidays, this isn't a good sign.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

They planned poorly for their halo and tombraider launches.... sales are not what they should/could have been, because of bad marketing & planning (bundle prices, time of launch ect).

I think we can nit pick Sony, MS, and Nintendo for how they handled the holidays.

Bottom line, MS had strong holiday sales and offered notable exclusives. I hope next holiday is at par.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
I think we can nit pick Sony, MS, and Nintendo for how they handled the holidays.

Bottom line, MS had strong holiday sales and offered notable exclusives. I hope next holiday is at par.

No, we can't. Look, I'm an Xbox fanboy. But Sony played it out well, allowing to be profitable and be the best selling. There's nothing to nitpick. Nintendo could have something to it, but they did well for what they had. Microsoft could've done far better, and they blew it. I agree, I hope the next holiday is on par or better for the XB1 (in NA), but there's no denying Microsoft slacked it.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
jason1637 said:

The PS4 sold 1.6 million. In a market were Xbox usually dominate's, especially during the holidays, this isn't a good sign.

Yes but this because sony had CoD and BF. MS had a good holiday strategy but I will say that it could have been better. Letting go of CoD was a huge mistake.