By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Gamepad battery

Miyamotoo said:
Agree, also my only complain about gamepad, it has battery of around only 4 hours, but you can buy official high capacity battery 2500mAh, last around twice longer.

Does that battery also drain when the unit is off?

Tifa got MOVES!

Around the Network

Yeah I really hate the battery, it just dies on me during a long session of Splatoon or XCX.

There is a high capacity battery that I use, and it's amazing, but it costs an extra $40, which is pretty ridiculous.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

It is a bit of a grip for me sometimes, though if I am really determined, I just plug in the charger directly to the gamepad. Though most of the time I just turn off the game and take a break. It's for the better...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

XanderXT said:
I'm guessing they overestimated the power of the battery.

No, they only used half of the space in the battery compartment. Seems like they planned from the start that people get annoyed and buy the hi-capacity-battery as accessory for $30.

Normchacho said:
My god it's fucking awful. How Nintendo thought that it was acceptable I'll never understand, especially since you can't turn off the screen while you're not using it.

Go to the home menu and into control settings, it's right there.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I use a long 3rd party USB charging cable. And plug it in my PS4. So I don't have to go near the box plug the cradle uses. Nintendo really should just put the larger battery in there by default, at this point.

Jinova said:
Miyamotoo said:
Agree, also my only complain about gamepad, it has battery of around only 4 hours, but you can buy official high capacity battery 2500mAh, last around twice longer.

Does that battery also drain when the unit is off?

Yes. The quick screen has to be updated.

Normchacho said:
My god it's fucking awful. How Nintendo thought that it was acceptable I'll never understand, especially since you can't turn off the screen while you're not using it.

Which is why I was forced to add a power switch to my Gamepad.

They probably got their batteries from Apple...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Ultrashroomz said:
Normchacho said:

Let me explain my conundrum. I use my Wii U to watch Netflix quite a bit, and it's a pain to have the screen playing whatever I'm watching the whole time. 

So naturally the solution would be to turn it off. Unfortunately, you can only turn off the entire gamepad, not just the display. So if you turn it off, you can no longer use it to navigate the app.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Ultrashroomz said:

Let me explain my conundrum. I use my Wii U to watch Netflix quite a bit, and it's a pain to have the screen playing whatever I'm watching the whole time. 

So naturally the solution would be to turn it off. Unfortunately, you can only turn off the entire gamepad, not just the display. So if you turn it off, you can no longer use it to navigate the app.

The other controllers don't work in Netflix?

archer9234 said:
Normchacho said:

The other controllers don't work in Netflix?

They probably do, I currently only use the gamepad and GameCube controllers for games though and it's a pretty convoluted mess to have to swap controllers and turn off the gamepad just to use Netflix.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.