By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Chicago Police Fatally Shoot 2, Raising New Questions for a Force Under Scrutiny

- 4700 block of West Erie Street, Chicago

- a man and a woman fatally shot by police officers

- police officers came answering a call for a domestic disturbance after a relative from the man that ended up being fatally shot was behaving oddly and carrying a metal bat around the second-floor apartment

- police officers said they were “confronted by a combative subject, resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon.”

- the woman, Bettie Jones, 55, mother of five, who was a first-floor tenant, was shot by accident as she appeared to have been caught in the situation as she answered a shared front door for the arriving police officers

- the man, Quintonio LeGrier, 19, was a college student that had being experiencing mental health problems

- family members of those killed said that the shooting raised concerns about how officers are trained to handle people with mental illnesses, and about the use of weapons when people uninvolved in a confrontation may be nearby.

- Betti Jones' brother Melvin Jones said the following about the authorities conducting an investigation on how the police officers acted during the whole incident:

“And they say there will be an investigation into the shooting? I already know how that will turn out. We all know how that will turn out. When is this going to end?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/27/us/chicago-police-fatally-shoot-2-raising-new-questions-for-a-force-under-scrutiny.html?_r=0

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

My god people. What the hell is wrong with the police system in America?

This isn't GTA. We don't need to shoot everything. Don't they have tazers? Are they not properly trained to deal with a regular situation?

Look, if a mental man goes running hurting people, then I won't blame the officers. They can't magically tell if someone is mental. However, I think it's ridiculous how quick many policemen in America are to resort to violence.

Perhaps they're learning from key and Peele videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVewRuh7PyY

Rest in Peace to the 2 black people, especially the one with the mental illness. It's quite unfortunate for two people to be killed the day after Christmas. It makes people not take their loved ones for granted. Can never tell when someone's time is due.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
My god people. What the hell is wrong with the police system in America?

This isn't GTA. We don't need to shoot everything. Don't they have tazers? Are they not properly trained to deal with a regular situation?

Look, if a mental man goes running hurting people, then I won't blame the officers. They can't magically tell if someone is mental. However, I think it's ridiculous how quick many policemen in America are to resort to violence.

Perhaps they're learning from key and Peele videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVewRuh7PyY

Rest in Peace to the 2 black people, especially the one with the mental illness. It's quite unfortunate for two people to be killed the day after Christmas. It makes people not take their loved ones for granted. Can never tell when someone's time is due.

That's the first thing I asked myself, what about the tasers?

Police officers must use force if necessary but this situation seems like a mess that was the result of mistakes and/or bad, premature decisions.

I won't hit that link with Key and Peele because I have all of their series seasons and I have yet to start watching them. :)

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Do cops in America not have tasers, or know how physically disarm someone, or even just shoot them in the leg instead of the head/chest?

Seems like every week there's a story like this, and as a non-American it's just baffling to me. Shooting with intent to kill should be an absolute last resort, especially when they are innocent bystanders at risk.

It seems to me like the guy attacked the police officer violently and died because of it. I have no problem with that assuming that's what happened. It is tragic that a bystander was killed. Nobody is claiming it was done on purpose, we don't know if the officers were negligent in the way the gun was shot. You need to wait until the details come before passing judgement. Unfortunately that is not happening these days.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
It seems to me like the guy attacked the police officer violently and died because of it. I have no problem with that assuming that's what happened. It is tragic that a bystander was killed. Nobody is claiming it was done on purpose, we don't know if the officers were negligent in the way the gun was shot. You need to wait until the details come before passing judgement. Unfortunately that is not happening these days.

I'm pretty sure that is not what happened they have a bunch of trigger happy cops in Chicago that have shot first ask questions later mentality.  

Chris Hu said:
johnsobas said:

I'm pretty sure that is not what happened they have a bunch of trigger happy cops in Chicago that have shot first ask questions later mentality.  

No you're not sure at all, that's called making an assumption not based on evidence.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
Chris Hu said:
johnsobas said:

No you're not sure at all, that's called making an assumption not based on evidence.

Either way they fucked up since a innocent person got killed in the process. 

Why the actual flying fuck is the word taser the first thing out of everyone's fucking mouth every time someone gets shot? They aren't necessarily effective and they have short range, meaning they leave the officers vulnerable. I will be posting a thread here each and every time an officer dies if these types of threads/responses continue to come up. You stand on the front lines if you want to be able to criticize the decision making of these officers. Until then, sit down and shut the fuck up.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Why the actual flying fuck is the word taser the first thing out of everyone's fucking mouth every time someone gets shot? They aren't necessarily effective and they have short range, meaning they leave the officers vulnerable. I will be posting a thread here each and every time an officer dies if these types of threads/responses continue to come up. You stand on the front lines if you want to be able to criticize the decision making of these officers. Until then, sit down and shut the fuck up.

I finished the SWAT 4 campaign on hard using non-lethal weapons only so STFU. ;)