By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Volterra_90 said:
StarOcean said:

Holy shit that blew my mind o.o XD I've noticed that both Avatar and SW7 suffer the same problem. Both are retellings of already well known stories (Pocahontas and SW4+5). My preference is SW though, I like the creatures and lore behind it more. Avatar is fine, but it is just Pocahontas and I was never really into the story v.v but I won't bash anyone for liking it, different strokes for different folks as the saying goes

I must admit I've never thought about it until now xDDDDD. Yeah, SW7 is a retelling of SW4, but the characters and dialogue are way better in TFA than in Avatar. I can't honestly think about anything relevant or fun about it. While I will always remember the BB-8 cuteness, the natural relationship between FInn and Rey, and: B-8 thumbs-up and Han Solo's death.

I'm much more into character-driven stories than visual fests, and that pretty much made the deal for me. 

Think they had that in mind when they named him? :P XD I'd argue this movie has the best dialogue in the series. BTW I've heard the argument that BB-8 was flipping Finn off which makes the scene even funnier XD It's an amazing scene either way

But yeah, I like character driven stories myself too

Around the Network

Starwars 7, in the best possible situation ever. Simply don't make a terrible movie, and you win everything, all categories. So, take all your plotpoints from the old movies, do nothing especially interesting and add some good CG. Done, and done.

I enjoyed it. But... Come the fuck on...

They handled the force very poorly, I think this movie hurt the the world and lore of Starwars. Oh well. In the end, can't really argue with the $.

UPDATED OP.

StarOcean said:
Volterra_90 said:

I must admit I've never thought about it until now xDDDDD. Yeah, SW7 is a retelling of SW4, but the characters and dialogue are way better in TFA than in Avatar. I can't honestly think about anything relevant or fun about it. While I will always remember the BB-8 cuteness, the natural relationship between FInn and Rey, and: B-8 thumbs-up and Han Solo's death.

I'm much more into character-driven stories than visual fests, and that pretty much made the deal for me. 

Think they had that in mind when they named him? :P XD I'd argue this movie has the best dialogue in the series. BTW I've heard the argument that BB-8 was flipping Finn off which makes the scene even funnier XD It's an amazing scene either way

Maybe, why not? I think it's a clear reference to Pocahontas. It's not bad for that, but besides being eye-popping, it has absolutely nothing else. And I like that BB-8 theory, it makes that scene more awesome XDDDDD. 

So, 600M now? I'm still thinking it could reach 2B. Is it China in the numbers?

Volterra_90 said:
StarOcean said:

Maybe, why not? I think it's a clear reference to Pocahontas. It's not bad for that, but besides being eye-popping, it has absolutely nothing else. And I like that BB-8 theory, it makes that scene more awesome XDDDDD. 

China doesnt get SW7 till January 6th

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Volterra_90 said:

China doesnt get SW7 till January 6th

Oh, great!. Then it actually has a lot of chances of beating Avatar. That makes me happy.

Chinese Box Office.

2015 - Furious 7 - $390,000,000
2014 - Transformers: Age of Extinction - $320,000,000

Star Wars should be able to gross at least $400M in China.

FragilE^ said:
Starwars 7, in the best possible situation ever. Simply don't make a terrible movie, and you win everything, all categories. So, take all your plotpoints from the old movies, do nothing especially interesting and add some good CG. Done, and done.

They handled the force very poorly, I think this movie hurt the the world and lore of Starwars. Oh well. In the end, can't really argue with the $.

I saw that criticism a lot in SWVII threads, but I think it's actually more believable that Luke's learning of the Force. Luke was very little time mastering The Force (with that round, shooting things) yet he managed to use The Force to do an impossible shot and destroyed the Death Star. And he was, what, a farmer before all of the SWIV events happened. I'm not trying to bash the film, it's fabulous, but I don't think SW films are to be taken seriously or over-analized it. They're just action, fast-paced blockbusters with that SW magic behind (settings, races, main characters, baddies...)  Rey at least had, in advance, fighting skills and she had to managed to live by herself almost all her life in that place

LordLichtenstein said:
Chinese Box Office.

2015 - Furious 7 - $390,000,000
2014 - Transformers: Age of Extinction - $320,000,000

Star Wars should be able to gross at least $400M in China.

The Force is with us, then :)

Star wars is not a popular series in china that's a proven fact, also it will not beat avatar.
So don't get your hopes of it doing extremely well in china, also from a personal stand point, I hope it ends up behind avatar and titanic. The movie was a piece of shit... worst star wars movie so far by a wide margin . The way they treated Luke's character was complete bullshit.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

FragilE^ said:

I agree with you, the film was uninspired, but yes, the hype surrounding it and in particular because Lucas refused to do it for so long garanteed a big opening. But, yes... i think it did hurt the brand and will affect the gross of the sequal. I'm sure people won't be as interested to watch it after how "meh" this movie was.