By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

TheLastStarFighter said:
The Fury said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

All in all, an excellent, well filmed and acted movie, worthy of Star Wars. And if you don't like the unexplained First Order, etc, try watching A New Hope again, but removing any knowledge from your brain about the Empire, Rebels or Senate. None of it is really explained. That blank space is part of the magic. Like the black background in an 8-bit game, your imagination can fill in the details.

Not explained is fine but it's meant to be a sequel to the original trilogy is it not? Sequels usually follow on, they don't just replace what was removed and start again. If you know what a word means, know what an Empire is, we know what a Senate is (which if you watched the first 30 minutes of New Hope you'd know it was dissolved in the film), we know what Rebels are. All 3 parts of the political side of New Hope doesn't need to be explained, just we know it exists they fill their role. The 'force' parts are what our imagination is meant to fill and it is told to us in A New Hope and expanded upon in the following films.

I've said before, this was a well made film, special effects, acting etc. it was all good but as a Star Wars film? Lacking is the best word I could use.

Glad you enjoyed it however.

The Rebels, Empire and Senate were all vague entities that are pretty clearly Good Guys, Bad Guys and the Guys that Stop the Bad Guys from being all powerful in ANH.  That was about the extent of it.

It's pretty much the same thing with TFA.  We know the Reistence is Good, The First Order are bad and the New Republic stands behind the Resistence against the First Order.  The explaination level is exactly the same, and I think the goal was the same feelings of mystery as in the first movie when you saw it for the first time.  This title is a sequel, but it's also the begining of a new story.  The original plot closed with episode 6.

I'm fine with people liking or disliking the movie.  But disliking unexplained entities is a silly reason to dislike this title - assuming you liked the others - because all Star Wars movies use the unexplained as a story-telling tool to create the sense of awe that comes with lack of understanding.

Guys, "The original Star Wars did the same thing" isn't a good excuse. Those movies were a product of their times.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:

The Rebels, Empire and Senate were all vague entities that are pretty clearly Good Guys, Bad Guys and the Guys that Stop the Bad Guys from being all powerful in ANH.  That was about the extent of it.

It's pretty much the same thing with TFA.  We know the Reistence is Good, The First Order are bad and the New Republic stands behind the Resistence against the First Order.  The explaination level is exactly the same, and I think the goal was the same feelings of mystery as in the first movie when you saw it for the first time.  This title is a sequel, but it's also the begining of a new story.  The original plot closed with episode 6.

I'm fine with people liking or disliking the movie.  But disliking unexplained entities is a silly reason to dislike this title - assuming you liked the others - because all Star Wars movies use the unexplained as a story-telling tool to create the sense of awe that comes with lack of understanding.

The fact that one of the main complaints people are having is the fact that they didn't like the fact this film and the original had so many similarities, your post just highlights it. I agree, the plots are nearly the same, it's just the new elements (the good stuff) which made the film stand out. They didn't put enough effort into that stuff however. In New Hope we understood that an Empire ruled the galaxy and at the top a guy named Emperor Palpatine. Not long in the film we learned he disolved the Senate giving power to regional managers for easier control. Meaning the Emperor and the Imperial Army were in charge. First Order aren't in charge of anything, they are a terrorist organisation at best and a 'resistance' wouldn't exist to oppose a terrorist group as the government (New Republic) is there to do that. The best thing they could have done is remove mention of 'Resistance' at all and have it that people wanted to be part of the New Republic, as it has the chance of being something great, yet the First Order were there to screw things up. The Resistance was pointless as part of the plot, FO can still do their big destroy everything thing and people of the galaxy would rally to the New Republic's side/aid as they all had representation on the planets destroyed.

The idea of the first 6 films was the downfall of the Jedi to the Sith, Anakin's downfall and redemption and the Republic's downfall until the end of 6. 7, 8 and 9 should be about the rebuilding of the Jedi and Republic's rebuilding but we are just back at the start of 4 again. They are meant to be sequels, if it's a new story, don't call it Episode 7.

Hmm, pie.

Lawlight said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
The Fury said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

All in all, an excellent, well filmed and acted movie, worthy of Star Wars. And if you don't like the unexplained First Order, etc, try watching A New Hope again, but removing any knowledge from your brain about the Empire, Rebels or Senate. None of it is really explained. That blank space is part of the magic. Like the black background in an 8-bit game, your imagination can fill in the details.

Not explained is fine but it's meant to be a sequel to the original trilogy is it not? Sequels usually follow on, they don't just replace what was removed and start again. If you know what a word means, know what an Empire is, we know what a Senate is (which if you watched the first 30 minutes of New Hope you'd know it was dissolved in the film), we know what Rebels are. All 3 parts of the political side of New Hope doesn't need to be explained, just we know it exists they fill their role. The 'force' parts are what our imagination is meant to fill and it is told to us in A New Hope and expanded upon in the following films.

I've said before, this was a well made film, special effects, acting etc. it was all good but as a Star Wars film? Lacking is the best word I could use.

Glad you enjoyed it however.

Guys, "The original Star Wars did the same thing" isn't a good excuse. Those movies were a product of their times.

You miss the point.  If you say the original was good despite vague ideas but the new one is bad because of vague ideas, you're simply liking the old one due to nostalgia or being harsh on the new one because your standards are too high.

I'm not saying SW7 doesn't have flaws, I'm saying vague character backgrounds or concepts isn't one of them.

The Fury said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

The fact that one of the main complaints people are having is the fact that they didn't like the fact this film and the original had so many similarities, your post just highlights it. I agree, the plots are nearly the same, it's just the new elements (the good stuff) which made the film stand out. They didn't put enough effort into that stuff however. In New Hope we understood that an Empire ruled the galaxy and at the top a guy named Emperor Palpatine. Not long in the film we learned he disolved the Senate giving power to regional managers for easier control. Meaning the Emperor and the Imperial Army were in charge. First Order aren't in charge of anything, they are a terrorist organisation at best and a 'resistance' wouldn't exist to oppose a terrorist group as the government (New Republic) is there to do that. The best thing they could have done is remove mention of 'Resistance' at all and have it that people wanted to be part of the New Republic, as it has the chance of being something great, yet the First Order were there to screw things up. The Resistance was pointless as part of the plot, FO can still do their big destroy everything thing and people of the galaxy would rally to the New Republic's side/aid as they all had representation on the planets destroyed.

The idea of the first 6 films was the downfall of the Jedi to the Sith, Anakin's downfall and redemption and the Republic's downfall until the end of 6. 7, 8 and 9 should be about the rebuilding of the Jedi and Republic's rebuilding but we are just back at the start of 4 again. They are meant to be sequels, if it's a new story, don't call it Episode 7.

I think a story about rebuilding would be boring, and that's why these movies aren't about that.  Essentially some attempted rebuilding went on for about 20 years, and then about 10-15 years ago or so Ben Solo chopped down the new Jedi and scared Luke and things started getting ugly again.

Your comments about how things work in the Star Wars Galaxy is off.  The Republic and its Senate was more like the UN than a true government.  Planets and systems are independent, the Republic was a lose gathering of them, and it was mostly just the Jedi keeping order.  They could do sanctions and stuff but military action was up to idividual planets, systems or groups, like the Trade Fed.  That's why it was a big deal when they made an army of the republic from clones.  This continued through to the Empire days, where systems were still independent and had senate representation, and then the Empire built the death star and felt they could bully everyone into control.

Fast forward to SW7, and even though the Emperer was killed, that doesn't mean that all of a sudden all these systems agreed to listen to some new ruler, whoever they were.  More likely they said sweet, we can be independent again. Some of these systems formed a New Republic, but many did not.  And many groups who were strong in the former Empire formed the First Order, a continuation of the existing Empire.  Other groups formed the Resistence to combat the First Order and prevent it from gaining control.  For this reason the New Republic supports the Resistence, but they ar two different things.

And the Emperor is never called Palpatine in the original movies, again emphasising how we can fill in the details now with knowledge gained elsewhere.

TheLastStarFighter said:

You miss the point.  If you say the original was good despite vague ideas but the new one is bad because of vague ideas, you're simply liking the old one due to nostalgia or being harsh on the new one because your standards are too high.

I'm not saying SW7 doesn't have flaws, I'm saying vague character backgrounds or concepts isn't one of them.

I don't think the originals were particularly good but they were better and a product of their time. Concepts and vague character backgrounds are definitely one of the major problems with this movie. You'd think that with the opportunity to re-launch the franchise they'd put more thought into it.

Around the Network

Bumping it (and other TFA threads) because I saw it days ago. Without a doubt, weakest SW films. Not bad, but cheese and predictable. Far away from the OT and doesn't have it's own flavor like the prequels. This is like some said, an unsuccessful copy of A New Hope.

Anyway, I hope Episode VIII and IX explains what is Voldemort doing in SW and why the copy of Darth Vader is a big joke.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I don't think I know anyon in real life who liked this movie.

Lawlight said:
I don't think I know anyon in real life who liked this movie.

I know a lot of people that likes, which surprises me. Even the 90% RT is weird. As I said, weakest SW film.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I loved it. Saw it twice in theater. Buying day 1 on BluRay.

Best to worse.

The only starwars film I didn't like was 2 and 1