By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

dangerguy said:
93% on Rotten Tomatoes does say something about the film. Those aren't just Star Wars fan, but movie critics. As I lifelong fan I absolutely loved it and have seen it 4 times. Several other friends have seen it 2-3 times, but I do have 1 friend that was very meh on it and another that thought it was "fine" but wasn't blown away. I can certainly understand someone not liking it, but I definitely think you're in the minority.

I also think it's an awesome set-up to a really great trilogy. Rey's story arc, Kylo Ren's story arc, more Luke. I can't wait!

Same score as Spy Kids? Nice. I know I can trust those movie critics to recognise a good film when they see one. 78% for Indiana Jones 4? Must a good movie too.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Same score as Spy Kids? Nice. I know I can trust those movie critics to recognise a good film when they see one. 78% for Indiana Jones 4? Must a good movie too.

You know you can see the movies average rating other than just the % of posite x negative reviews right? Spy Kids has a 7.2 and FA has a 8.3. Also SK has a 40% audience aproval x a 90% for FA. So no not at all like Spy Kids, but nice try to spin things the way you wanted them to be, that was a Microsoft PR level of spin there.

I don't think it sucks, it's just very bad than it look

DakonBlackblade said:
Lawlight said:

You know you can see the movies average rating other than just the % of posite x negative reviews right? Spy Kids has a 7.2 and FA has a 8.3. Also SK has a 40% audience aproval x a 90% for FA. So no not at all like Spy Kids, but nice try to spin things the way you wanted them to be, that was a Microsoft PR level of spin there.

I cannot see that on my mobile. As far as I'm concerned Spy Kids has got the same approval rating as TFA. The gap in score for SK between critics and users show that you cannot trust critics blindly.

I just saw Awakens on the weekend, finally. It's an excellent movie. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan - Jedi in theaters was the first film I've ever seen - and this movie is very true to the series and excellent in its execution.

The flaws as stated in the OP are completely false. At least they are false if you are a Star Wars fan. All the questions and loose ends and lack of back story? That's classic Star Wars. As a kid I can remember asking my brother "Who is Boba Fett?" "What is Darth Vader?" "Why can the emperor shoot lightning?" "What were the Clone Wars?" Most of this isn't really explained in the films, and almost all is not explained when first revealed. We know it now, it's all in pop culture, but on the first screening you don't. And I still don't know who the Shaman of the Whills are and how the whole Ghost Jedi thing works.

But that stuff doesn't really matter. Who the Knights of Ren are is irrelevant beyond there some bad-ass guys - though I'm sure we'll get more details at some point. The past of Rey is an obvious future plot point. So is Snoke. The early teases were classic JJ and classic Star Wars, which is why the two are a good fit.

Anyway, my take was it was an excellent movie and really captured the "feel" of Star Wars. It recycled a bit of stuff, some of which is OK. The single biggest flaw Starkiller Station. The device itself was cool, but the mission to destroy it at the end felt tacked on. I would have preferred the finale ended with the Station being a hidden mystery, desguised as a planet, a future massive threat to be revealed in a future film. Rescuing Rey and the duel at the end would have been good enough. And speaking of that duel, we a) really don't know the level of training Ren has and b) it should be obvious that Rey is special and more powerful in the Force than Ren. This was made apparent in their mind-reading duel earlier. And Rey didn't beat Ren "easily", Ren was actually taking it to Rey with her just defending. She managed a late comeback with some rage - and possible Dark Side influence. In the novelization she actually hears a voice saying "finish him" or something of that sort. If the Force can give look the ability to hit a target that no one else can hit, - and we know it gives super-human reaction time, the ability to see events before they happen, etc - it's not outside the plot to think it gives Rey the ability to fight off Ren. Also, she was already shown to be skilled in melee weapons and combat with a staff being her preferred choice.

All in all, an excellent, well filmed and acted movie, worthy of Star Wars. And if you don't like the unexplained First Order, etc, try watching A New Hope again, but removing any knowledge from your brain about the Empire, Rebels or Senate. None of it is really explained. That blank space is part of the magic. Like the black background in an 8-bit game, your imagination can fill in the details.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
DakonBlackblade said:

I cannot see that on my mobile. As far as I'm concerned Spy Kids has got the same approval rating as TFA. The gap in score for SK between critics and users show that you cannot trust critics blindly.

I agree but you also have to consider that the criteria for FA and Spy Kids is very different, the second is a very young kids movie, nobody is expecting it to have elaborate plots or complex characters, the first albeit also kid friendly is suposed ot have an actual plot and stuf. If you use FA (or most othe rmovies) standard to evaluate Spy Kids it would get lower rating, but Im not sure thatd be very fair.

TheLastStarFighter said:

All in all, an excellent, well filmed and acted movie, worthy of Star Wars. And if you don't like the unexplained First Order, etc, try watching A New Hope again, but removing any knowledge from your brain about the Empire, Rebels or Senate. None of it is really explained. That blank space is part of the magic. Like the black background in an 8-bit game, your imagination can fill in the details.

Not explained is fine but it's meant to be a sequel to the original trilogy is it not? Sequels usually follow on, they don't just replace what was removed and start again. If you know what a word means, know what an Empire is, we know what a Senate is (which if you watched the first 30 minutes of New Hope you'd know it was dissolved in the film), we know what Rebels are. All 3 parts of the political side of New Hope doesn't need to be explained, just we know it exists they fill their role. The 'force' parts are what our imagination is meant to fill and it is told to us in A New Hope and expanded upon in the following films.

I've said before, this was a well made film, special effects, acting etc. it was all good but as a Star Wars film? Lacking is the best word I could use.

Glad you enjoyed it however.

Hmm, pie.

6.5/10 good characters, bad plot

DakonBlackblade said:
Lawlight said:

I agree but you also have to consider that the criteria for FA and Spy Kids is very different, the second is a very young kids movie, nobody is expecting it to have elaborate plots or complex characters, the first albeit also kid friendly is suposed ot have an actual plot and stuf. If you use FA (or most othe rmovies) standard to evaluate Spy Kids it would get lower rating, but Im not sure thatd be very fair.

Sure it has a plot but not a very good one so it's not like there were high expectations out of this franchise which is riddled with inconsistencies and plot holes.

The Fury said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Not explained is fine but it's meant to be a sequel to the original trilogy is it not? Sequels usually follow on, they don't just replace what was removed and start again. If you know what a word means, know what an Empire is, we know what a Senate is (which if you watched the first 30 minutes of New Hope you'd know it was dissolved in the film), we know what Rebels are. All 3 parts of the political side of New Hope doesn't need to be explained, just we know it exists they fill their role. The 'force' parts are what our imagination is meant to fill and it is told to us in A New Hope and expanded upon in the following films.

I've said before, this was a well made film, special effects, acting etc. it was all good but as a Star Wars film? Lacking is the best word I could use.

Glad you enjoyed it however.

The Rebels, Empire and Senate were all vague entities that are pretty clearly Good Guys, Bad Guys and the Guys that Stop the Bad Guys from being all powerful in ANH.  That was about the extent of it.

It's pretty much the same thing with TFA.  We know the Reistence is Good, The First Order are bad and the New Republic stands behind the Resistence against the First Order.  The explaination level is exactly the same, and I think the goal was the same feelings of mystery as in the first movie when you saw it for the first time.  This title is a sequel, but it's also the begining of a new story.  The original plot closed with episode 6.

I'm fine with people liking or disliking the movie.  But disliking unexplained entities is a silly reason to dislike this title - assuming you liked the others - because all Star Wars movies use the unexplained as a story-telling tool to create the sense of awe that comes with lack of understanding.