By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 on 360....maybe?

gamer9851 said:
Cutscenes are not the things that take alot of place on a disk, and don't forgot that alot of the cutscene they use in MGS are historical archives and that take less place than animated cutscenes. And when I say 10 hours, I had count the 3 hours of movies. But you're right on the port argument, they can easely transfert the information and compress it on an other format. But it's the same thing with the PS3, for now many dev. create games on 360 and port them on PS3, it's less expensive, take less time and make more money. Assassin's Creed is one exemple.

You didn't say what is taking up all that memory. And honestly how does a game like MGS take up that kind of room? Unless they're not using any forms of compression. If huge games with tons of voice and textures like OBlivion fit on a dual layer dvd why wouldn't mgs? Same thing with plenty of 360 games Splinter Cell looks amazing with tons of different evnvironment, Gears of War is another similiar environment and it looks beautiful and fits on 360 discs. So what on earth are they doing in that game? It's either prerendered video, or uncompressed media. And they are coming out with more and more amazing compression techiniques with no loss of quality, for textures and audio, and video, there's no reason for games to get this big. 

Around the Network

yea i don't see how MGS can take up 50 gigs or actually be a very big game at all. MGS is traditionally a short, closed quarters game. Cutscenes take up loads of space if they are not created by the game's engine. I honestly don't believe them when they say it can't be done on 360 because of space.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Whatever happened to the pride developers used to take in creating the most efficient code?

Is it because of the space or because of the cell processor? EA said before they needed the cell processor for Black and Medal of Honor.

Kojima said PS3 only a few times now so unless he completely changes his mind it's not happening...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

to flexible Maybe iI wasn't clear in my argument, but I was saying ( in my word ) that it's ridicule to say that a game absolutly need a 50 GB disc, almost all the games fit in a dual-layered DVD. It was in response to an argument based on 50 GB is a necessity. It is a necessity only when you believe in what Sony says.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

davygee said:

Not only is the game being built for the PS3 hardware, but it's being built to utilise the Blu-ray format as well.

I'm not saying that the game won't appear on the 360...but it won't appear as the same game IMHO.

Also, it's unlikely to appear until a fair bit after the PS3 version has been released. I reckon as much a 1 year after launch.

Yep. I really feel like Kojima has put his company into a hole.

From the standpoint of a developer, such financial decisions may not be a big deal. You built this game in a specific way for a specific platform, with the specific technology available on that platform in mind. If you're a very careful designer, this is desireable.

From the standpoint of anyone in Konami involved in financial decisions, this could be a disaster. It's financially painful to make games that are extremely expensive to develop. It's also painful to make games on consoles that are less popular. But to make a game that's expensive to develop that is also on a less console? That really, really hurts, especially when you realize how stuck they are -- a simple port just isn't possible, as you've noted.

That can't make the CFO happy. If the average Namco game requires 500,000 units sold to break even, I'd assume that 800,00 or 1,000,000 copies of MGS4 would be a reasonable assumption for the break-even point. At this point, the odds of selling considerably more than 1,000,000 copies are slim.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

rocketpig said:
Someone else brought this up somewhere on the forum: Sony is producing the MGS movie for 2009. There is a chance that Konami will remain loyal to Sony for doing this. It could be potentially disastrous for them, but it might be a chance they are willing to take.

A good point. I have no idea how such corporate canoodling works (would this really happen? I know children say stuff like: "I'll be your best friend if you make my movie for me!" but I really have no idea if this translates into adulthood, and furthermore into billion dollar business transactions. I don't know how the Sony/Columbia Pictures corporate structures work, or how reliant Konami is on Sony's good graces for the continuation of the movie production.) 

In other words -- unless someone here has detailed knowledge of just how much of a favor Sony is doing Konami by producing this movie, or even if it's a favor at all, then it's hard to gauge your theory. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
I think it's now coming for Xbox 360... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159604 Quickly, third-party publishers have moved from platform exclusivity to supporting Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 simultaneously. Devil May Cry, once a Sony-exclusive series, is suddenly appearing on both this fall. Last generation, Xbox would have received the port six months later. Now, it's at the same time. Rumors suggested the same fate's falling on one of PS3's biggest hitters, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. 1UP's James Mielke, Ryan O'Donnel and Shane Bettenhausen joined Ryan Payton's Kojima Productions Report podcast this week in Japan, where the four debated the ups and downs of multi-platform production, SIXAXIS support and more. You can subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, download the MP3 directly or keep tabs on the podcast's website. Payton knows fans have legitimate concerns about Kojima Productions possibly compromising the game's ambition due to issues arising from concurrent Xbox 360 development -- divided resources, less disc space, etc. -- and he addressed those directly: "I can tell you honestly at this point, we have not changed the game in any form with the idea of 'oh, we got to do this on 360.' Put aside whether or not we're developing for 360 or not, the game is built on the PS3 hardware, as you guys have known for the past two years or so." In other words: if MGS4 comes to Xbox 360, it has not affected the game's development. This is the same game Hideo Kojima decided to produce from day one. Make sure to listen to the podcast for more from Payton and the 1UP boys about Snake, Xbox 360 vs. PS3 and more.

Hum...that's the exact same quote as the one linked above, so it's nothing new.  I just listened to the full podcast, though, and I get the impression is he saying that they haven't even begun working on a 360 version.  If you add that to the fact that Kojima himself has said many times that it's PS3 only, then I don't see any evidence that a 360 version will be released any time near a PS3, if ever.

The PS3 hardware is different than the 360's.  Saying that the MGS4 game is entrenched in the PS3 hardware is pretty telling.  Not only that, but the 360 can't do sixaxis and a lot of the podcast was talking about sixaxis.