By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 on 360....maybe?

MGS 4 could go to 360 with multiple disc

Around the Network

I also remember Sony said Resistance take 23 GB of space, where is the 23 GB in the game ?

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

gamer9851 said:
I also remember Sony said Resistance take 23 GB of space, where is the 23 GB in the game ?

That's because they didn't compress the audio and they used another video codec. But the game still took up 16 GBs.

The possibility of an MGS4 on 360 is gonna be huge. Now only 1 game stands in the way of a total, utter, 360 win vs. the PS3 in terms of exclusive departments: FFXIII. With LR being multiport, it could happen quite easily, imo. MGS4 could get 175 to even 250k s/w sales in Japan on the 360, and 1m w/w.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but why would the Japanese opt to play the same game that they can play on a console they mildly hate (PS3) for playing it on a console they truly hate (360)?

Around the Network

yup ur right and if it does its gonna hurt sony in japan and thats gonna get the japanese ps2 users to jump on the xbox 360.....

A game using 25GB/50GB on a Blu-Ray disk doesn't mean that there is 25GB/50GB of unique gaming data on that disk. When game developers moved from memory cartridges to optical discs the most obvious problem with the format was how slow optical discs are; the maximum transfer rate is bad enough, but with how slow the latency and seek time are whenever you switch the area you're reading from your performance takes a massive hit. From my very limited understanding of Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 it has a slower transfer rate, higher latency and worse seek time than an inexpensive DVD drive.

Now, there is a trick to prevent load times that has been used since CDs were first choosen as a format. If you have enough space all you do is take all of the content (textures, models, sounds, etc.) that are related to a particular level, zip them up together and store them on disc as one file. The result is that you can load the entire level about as quickly as is possible using that format. The downside is that your data gets duplicated; in a 20 level game you can (hypothetically) have a lot of data (models, textures, sounds) duplicated 20 times.

(I appologize for the simplified explaination)

You can't really compare a Blu-Ray drive to a DVD drive. With a DVD, the transfer rate varies fast or slow depending on where you are reading/writing on the disc. A Blu-Ray drive, on the other hand, maintains the same transfer rate wherever you are on the disc. But yes, redundancy is a technique developers use to increase load times. A game like Shenmue 2 on the Xbox1, for example, came on dual layer DVD, but, if the redundant files were crosslinked, could be made to fit on a single layer DVD. The other technique PS3 developers can use to decrease load times, and which was used in some Xbox1 games but can no longer be used in Xbox360 games, is hard disk caching. Oblivion for the PS3 does this. The Core system ruined this for the 360.

Someone else brought this up somewhere on the forum: Sony is producing the MGS movie for 2009. There is a chance that Konami will remain loyal to Sony for doing this. It could be potentially disastrous for them, but it might be a chance they are willing to take.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Wow 360 people are getting excited about a MGS4 might be a possibility in the future quote? I just have a question for a 360 owner foaming at the moth for MGS4...Why didn't you just wait and buy a PS3 it definitley will come out on that system and will be uncomprimised unlike a 360 game would be acorrdind to the quote. Kojima has made alot of money for Konomi and as we all know he is not in the least intrested in bringing MGS4 to the 360. In the end the PS3 version will sell enough to let Konami honor his wishes. This game will help Sony get the PS3 into many japannese homes let alone American So in the end if this many people are awaitng MGS4 then this will be a system seller for PS3 and by the time this game comes out there should be at least 6 big PS3 games out so you won't be dropping all that cash on a system for one game.