By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

Goodnightmoon said:

There is trap in this thread, if Horizon has better meta, than wow, Horizon is better than Zelda, what a great game, however if Zelda has better meta (and it will), is "just because is Zelda", yeah, you gotta love the way people make its own rules to win yes or yes. Trap.

In my case I have good reason. I played the allegedly best game of all time (LoZ OoT) and I didn't like it very much. But y'know the internet says it's the best ever. So IMO Zelda gets good reviews because Zelda.

If Horizon gets 90+ on Meta and gets a higher score than Zelda then that actually would be a huge achievement for a developer that has completely changed its focus and that has a reputation for putting out competent but not amazing shooters, whose last game scored a rather disappointing 73.

Also a developer that has a high, and probably deserved, reputation that puts out a game that is below expectations that is disappointing even if it's got an objectively good metascore. If Uncharted 4 only gets an 82 metascore people will be disasppointed, and no doubt certain people will take much joy in pointing and laughing at such a horrible score for Uncharted 4. So it's not like Nintendo or Zelda are uniquely burdened by expectations of producing 90+ meta games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I hate the wii U as most as the next guy but naaaaaah
2016 is stacked on the PS4 horizon will suffer from that, and we don't even know if the game will be good it might be a ryze on PS4.
Zelda is guaranteed to be high quality, and 2016 is barren for the wii U so Zelda should sell very well.
So:
Meta: Zelda
Sales: Zelda
graphics: Horizon

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Super_Boom said:
Goodnightmoon said:

There is trap in this thread, if Horizon has better meta, than wow, Horizon is better than Zelda, what a great game, however if Zelda has better meta (and it will), is "just because is Zelda", yeah, you gotta love the way people make its own rules to win yes or yes. Trap.

Pretty much this. Seems like Zelda is doomed no matter what. Hard not to roll my eyes when people are crying Metacritic bias over games that haven't even been released yet.

Anyways, the games aren't that similar, so it's an odd comparison. Just seems like console war bait. I know I personally am more looking forward to Zelda, but that has nothing to do with how it well it sells or an abritary review aggregrate. Though maybe some people need to draw comparisons in order to enjoy their game of choice...*shrug*

I rolled my eyes as soon as I knew it was a vs thread, both games are going to be good towards their respective userbases, I honestly don't see why they should be ptited against one another (especially when they have a lot less in common and how differently they appear and are marketed). The thread is set up from the start to be in favour of Horizon anyway, even the bold claims in the op are stacked heavily against Zleda which doesn't surprise me based on main system pref, it'd be like me pitting Star Citizen to some slightly space type looking game on another system and making bold claims that it's going to beast everything else, I see no purpose in that.

Also op mostly posts the negative news that Nintendo gets and then of course we get this vs thread which just serves as more fans to the flame and then asks to keep things civil which tells me all I need to know. It does seem that way though with what you say at the end, some people feel they need to make their game appear better than what others like in order for them to validate their enjoyment.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

One last thing I would like to add is that apart from empty land we haven't seen any "art" in the Zelda U game. Am I missing something? Horizon Zero Dawn looks far more interesting.

BraLoD said:

In that last sentence, I think some people must be mixing things like you are doing here.

I dunno what you choose to call art direction and design, but from what we saw, Horizon art direction is far more rich and beatiful than Zelda, I don't think it's even open to be disputed, the amount of details on the world, the color contrast, the amazing enemies (the robots)...
Just looking at the OP makes it's clear as day and night how vastly superior is the art direction on Horizon.

Now, I can understand if someone likes Zelda design better, as it's two totally different approachs, one is pushing for a more realistic design and the other for a more drawing design. That's totally open.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the realism. It's everything. The lighting, the use of color and pallet, the character and enemy design, the animation. There is absolutely nothing in Horizon that comes even remotely close to what's presented in Zelda U. In 20 years, people are going to look back and call Wind Waker, Journey, Muramasa Blade, Okami, and Zelda U some of the most beautiful looking games of all time, and Horizon won't even be an honorable mention in the conversation. It's just not a truly stand out example of compelling art direction. It's like Xenoblade Chronicles or XCX. They have absolutely fantastic are design, just like Horizon, but no one will care in 5 years, because it's just not as special as those other games. Not even close.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Miyamotoo said:

You realise that Nintendo on Wii U develop some of the best Nintendo games in whole franchises like Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Yoshi Woolly World...and people expecting from Zelda U too to be of the best Zelda games ever.

What he meant.

Nintendo Falls Out of Top 100 Global Brands List for First Time

Japanese company dropped reportedly as a result of its reluctance to bring its games to mobile devices.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-falls-out-of-top-100-global-brands-list-f/1100-6431163/

I know you were just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but even with your source that's pretty subjective.  The reason (edit: clarification - reason referring to Nintendo's brand falling out of top 100 due to not developing mobile games) why is also just speculation.  While many people can say that Nintendo's brand has had an objective decline, it's still clear the context the guy put it in is making some pretty sweeping statements.  
Reggin saying that Zelda will lose hands down in sales and meta implies that there will be a huge gap.  His reasoning is Nintendo's brand being in "sharp decline."  The implication here is clearly "Nintendo games aren't good anymore."  If it were anything besides that, the phrasing would have been different.

edit: My personal opinion is that it's hard to tell when Zelda U has so very little info revealed.  However, every main entry of Zelda so far has acheived low to high 90's on meta.  Even Nintendo's latest main entries (Skyward Sword + A Link Between Worlds, 93 and 91 respectively) got these scores, despite one utlizing motion controls (which likely docked points from some reviewers) and the other being a handheld title (they struggle with scoring in the 90's).

Goodnightmoon said:

I got same feeling.

binary solo said:
Goodnightmoon said:

In my case I have good reason. I played the allegedly best game of all time (LoZ OoT) and I didn't like it very much. But y'know the internet says it's the best ever. So IMO Zelda gets good reviews because Zelda.

I am very curious, when you played OoT!? Because you definitely can't have some thoughts about game if you played it in 1998. or in 2015. (but even in 2015 its very good game).

daredevil.shark said:
One last thing I would like to add is that apart from empty land we haven't seen any "art" in the Zelda U game. Am I missing something? Horizon Zero Dawn looks far more interesting.

This one of reasons why I think this comparison is bad, we saw so little from Zelda U. Those two first gifs that you put in OP are gifs of very low quality offscreen Zelda U video. Also in that video is very obvious they wanted to show us just a Zelda U world without any details of that world, we didn't see any settlement or NPC, just a flora and fauna and two enemies for now. Nintendo still didn't fully revealed Zelda U, we still dont have name of game, we didn't had any trailer or bigger details about game, they just show us how Zelda U world looks.

In comparison, with Zero Dawn we already had few high quality trailers and gameplays.

But on that last Zelda U video from 13 seconds we can see that Zelda U have beatiful art style, but its very obvious that on technical level Horizon Zero Dawn graphic is far more advanced, but that doesn't equal better or more interesting graphic.

bowserthedog said:

Zelda has the disadvantage of being Zelda so it has to live up to the previous games some of which show up on almost every top ten list of best video games of all time. Having said that it has every chance to be brilliant because the talent behind the game. Zero Dawn has potential but honestly the more relevant comparison to me is Last Guardian verus Zelda U. A FPS shooter dev isn't going to deliver a deeply moving experience. Yeah Horizon could be good but it's not going to be deeply artistically moving like a Zelda game or a team ICO game. Horizon is a more comparable title to Scalebound but I think it will lack the depth of scalebound. The only main thing that Horizon has going for itself is something more mathematical than artistic and that's tech/graphical performace.

Also this, every 3D Zelda is very high quality game and of the best game of generation, so expectations from evre new 3D Zelda game are very high.