By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

Barkley said:
pray4mojo said:

You're making my point for me lol. Nintendo has more hard core fans. Sony has more casual users. Horizon is not a casual game. It's a game that is only going to appeal to the Bloodborne, Second Son etc. crowd. Only one first party game on PS4 (outside of PS3 ports) has managed to sell more than 2 million copies. Think about that for a second. Only... one. You really think Horizon is capable of doubling that total? Why do you think that? There's really nothing that backs that up imo. The only way it happens is if you bundle the shit out of it for Christmas and stick it into a $199.99 Slim package. Other than that, there's just no way.

Horizon Zero Dawn has just launched to critical acclaim, despite what you say it IS a title with mainstream appeal. It's lauching on a console with a high installbase and for the forseeable future it will be the poster-child for the PlayStation 4 Pro and no doubt will recieve bundles. It will easily sell 4 million+

We can make a bet if you'd like.

And what is the point of this argument? That Horizon will outsell BotW, correct?

Seems you are boiling down to Horizon selling like 4-5 million or so. Even the non "legendary" sales of Zelda always seem to reach 4+ million. Breath of the Wild has probably as much hype if not more than the other two most hyped Zelda games (Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess) both of which sold 7+ million.

Zelda is a huge brand, Horizon is a new IP. Zelda has two systems to sell on, including a brand new system with a weak launch line-up competition. Heck, you can probably gaurantee that the first 2 million (launch #'s) of Switches will all include Zelda. 

Point being. If Vegas were to take on this bet, Zelda would be favored to win.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
leo-j said:

Sony has the most gaming fans this gen so far.... And has always had the biggest gaming community since the 90s....

why you say that ?

Everyone like to think their console is full of hardcore gamers.

Truth is, whichever console is the Market Leader, is filled with casuals. Even game releases prove this. Sure it may have some big AAA hardcore games, but for every one of those, there is a dozen spongebob square pants and the like games.

irstupid said:

And what is the point of this argument? That Horizon will outsell BotW, correct?

No, that's not what I'm arguing. BoTW outselling Horizon is the more likely scenario. I'm simply arguing that Horizon having literally "Zero Chance" is a gross exaggeration, and that Horizon will sell well (4m+) despite what pray4mojo thinks.

pray4mojo said:

You're making my point for me lol. Nintendo has more hard core fans. Sony has more casual users. Horizon is not a casual game. It's a game that is only going to appeal to the Bloodborne, Second Son etc. crowd. Only one first party game on PS4 (outside of PS3 ports) has managed to sell more than 2 million copies. Think about that for a second. Only... one. You really think Horizon is capable of doubling that total? Why do you think that? There's really nothing that backs that up imo. The only way it happens is if you bundle the shit out of it for Christmas and stick it into a $199.99 Slim package. Other than that, there's just no way.

I'm literally counting 5 and that's without digital sales (which would probably add 4 more to that list).

Also Mario Kart 8 was bundled just as much as Uncharted 4 (a lot more in fact proportionally speaking) so you're attach rate point is moot.

Barkley said:
irstupid said:

No, that's not what I'm arguing. BoTW outselling Horizon is the more likely scenario. I'm simply arguing that Horizon having literally "Zero Chance" is a gross exaggeration, and that Horizon will sell well (4m+) despite what pray4mojo thinks.

Well who knows. I don't follow sales too closely, so was surprised reading his 2 million figure he pulled out for exclusives on PS4.

I'm sure this game will sell at least 2 million. Hell, probably do that day 1.

What will it ultimately sell? IDK, 4 milllion. more. Who knows, maybe it pulls a skyrim and gets like 20+ million. Seems similar enough to skyrim. It clearly doesn't have the Elder Scrolls name, but of those 20+ million, I'm sure 50% of them never played an elder scrolls game before, but purchased from word of mouth or seeing yotube clips or something.

Let's see if the same can happen with Horizon.

Around the Network

Best selling guerilla game:
Killzone 2 ps3 = 3.01 million

against

WORST selling mainline zelda game:
Majora's mask N64 = 3.36 million

Those are vgchartz numbers. I mean it's pretty obvious that saleswise zelda has the advantage. I mean how can people honestly expect HZD to sell better than one of the most anticipated games in years? It's beyond me. Another thing. Killzone is a fps which most likely is the best selling genre amongst Playstation users. HZD on the other hand is a fantasy rpg, that has nothing to go by except for the reputation of the studio that's making it which is decent but nothing like naughty dog or Nintendo's in house studios.

Think for yourself, question authority

abroZ said:
Best selling guerilla game:
Killzone 2 ps3 = 3.01 million

against

WORST selling mainline zelda game:
Majora's mask N64 = 3.36 million

Those are vgchartz numbers. I mean it's pretty obvious that saleswise zelda has the advantage. I mean how can people honestly expect HZD to sell better than one of the most anticipated games in years? It's beyond me. Another thing. Killzone is a fps which most likely is the best selling genre amongst Playstation users. HZD on the other hand is a fantasy rpg, that has nothing to go by except for the reputation of the studio that's making it which is decent but nothing like naughty dog or Nintendo's in house studios.

You summed it up quite well. There are clearly dellusional people (probably most intentional) who believes this game stands a chance against the biggest 1st party title Nintendo has ever produced. Preorders are already through the roof in Japan, even more so than Skyward Sword. And it releases on 2 consoles. HZD is a great game but has been really inflated to dishonest expectations.

It is looking highly unlikely that Horizon will best Zelda, even if Zelda turns out to be the worst 3D Zelda of all time. Horizon is a very pretty game, but looks alone do not define a game.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

Boutros said:
pray4mojo said:

I'm literally counting 5 and that's without digital sales (which would probably add 4 more to that list).

Also Mario Kart 8 was bundled just as much as Uncharted 4 (a lot more in fact proportionally speaking) so you're attach rate point is moot.

Nowhere near was MK8 as bundled as UC4 bro :p 

I bet not even 1mil MK8 copies were sold bundled. Numbers dont add up

Helloplite said:
It is looking highly unlikely that Horizon will best Zelda, even if Zelda turns out to be the worst 3D Zelda of all time. Horizon is a very pretty game, but looks alone do not define a game.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-the-good-the-bad-the-boring

That was disheartening to read. Basically it just says the world is beatiful. That's about it. Sure it says teh trapping is genius, yet rarely can it be utilized, thus a hugely wasted potential.

But beyond the gameplay, inventory/crafting/ect mishaps they point out, the one thing I most wanted to read about was the world. Not the world as in it looking pretty, but as in was teh story engaging. Are the side quests more than just repetative fetch quests. Are the side quest givers interesting and stories/quests interesting that help fill out the world, or as i said just some fetch/material/kill quest.

It's those things that engage me in a Open World. Any game looks pretty after a few hours of nonstop playing. But its the random npc's that fill the world in and make it believable. Heck, it's why mods are so good for games like this (skyrim) because you have people add in those interesting characters and quests that fill teh world out. Otherwise teh game gets boring quckly.

Reading tombs though does sound nice. Puzzles in games like Tomb Raider or Zelda help out games big. In Tomb Raider or Zelda, you go into a dungeon and you are solving a puzzle to get to the end "treasure". In skyrim, you go into a dungeon and just walk forward killing anything inside to get treasure. That is boring. Hoping that Horizon is the former and not the later. Heck, the best part of Rise of Tomb Raider was teh tombs that had zero enemies in. The Shrines in Breath of teh Wild seem to be enemy free and are purely puzzle goodness.