By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

I actually didn't realize that Zelda wasn't a huge selling franchise. I mean, Skyward Sword sold 4 million copies on the Wii. It's normally been a 3-4 million franchise for the last 20 years on home consoles except Twilight Princess which was the biggest launch title for Nintendo's best selling console ever.

So I don't know about sales. Realistically I think the Switches bad launch lineup might push Zelda over the top.

As far as Metacritic, It's Zelda. There will be petitions if it averages less than 90.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

This will be interesting to watch, but I still think Zelda takes it.

L_ said:
I'm afraid of Zero Dawn not being able to reach expectations and end up being a let down. Sure it can look good but it's gameplay that matters most.

well good thing the impressions of the gameplay have been nothing but positive. That's actually what everyone who played it had to say, "It had really smooth and great gameplay for an ARPG"

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

daredevil.shark said:

Metacritic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 & PS4 Pro) > Zelda Breath of the wild (Wii U & Switch) 

This is a bold claim. Zelda will certainly get an advantage being a long lasting popular IP. Plus development team has veterans making Zelda games.

On the other hand Guerrilla Game's games didnt got high critical reception. But they are hiring Witcher 3 developer to Fallout NV writer and many other to make it great. I think Horizon Zero Dawn will beat Zelda BoTW critic wise.

Sales: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 & PS4 Pro) > Zelda Breath of the wild (Wii U & Switch) 

This is no brainer. PS4 is the king of this generation. Plus Sony will push their first party game. So sales wise this will be a piece of cake for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Graphics: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4 & PS4 Pro) > Zelda Breath of the wild (Wii U & Switch) 

From a technical perspective Horizon Zero dawn has already won the race. In terms of aesthetic of view Horizon Zero Dawn will also win. Zelda BoTW featureS a stylized cel shaded art style. And Horizon Zero Dawn uses an unique post apocalyptic world filled with robot dinosaurs and creatures. This depends on peoples taste. But overall Horizon Zero Dawn will win.

Discuss. I know VGC has a lot of Nintendo and Sony enthusiasts. So keep this civil.

1.) I think they will be pretty close on the scores, Zelda might be higher because of hype and it's a Zelda game that can play into people's nostalgia though. Though both will have a hard time beating The Witcher 3 TBH which is the current bar.

2.) I actually don't know how the sales will go, it's really hard to predict this one, higher installbase doesn't always result in higher selling numbers, Horizon has way less hype compared to Zelda.

3.) No fucking shit, the Switch is based on mobile tech and is running a game that started dev on Wii U , the fuck would anybody expect? lol. While you can argue asthetics based on the preference of either cel-shaded or realism, on the topic of power level, the PS4 already wins by default, so it will push more effects no matter what.

zelda =coke
horzion = pepsi

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
I actually didn't realize that Zelda wasn't a huge selling franchise. I mean, Skyward Sword sold 4 million copies on the Wii. It's normally been a 3-4 million franchise for the last 20 years on home consoles except Twilight Princess which was the biggest launch title for Nintendo's best selling console ever.

So I don't know about sales. Realistically I think the Switches bad launch lineup might push Zelda over the top.

As far as Metacritic, It's Zelda. There will be petitions if it averages less than 90.

the problem with skyward sword was a weak presentation, forced motion controls with add ons, skyrim and nintendo launched the game at the end of the wii's lifespan after the announcement of the wii u. If you see a game like twilight princess, that game sold a lot because the wii launched with zelda and that's it, well and wii sport obviously. But that zelda sold more than skyward sword because it was a launch title and the hype was real, breath of the wild is in a similar position. 

Mar1217 said:
onionberry said:
zelda =coke
horzion = pepsi

Both are full of sugar tho ...

both are good, both have their markets... but deep inside one is better than the other.

Although I'm saying that Horizon is good without true facts, but hopefully it's a good start for a new franchise. Anyways, zelda will sell more and the reviews are going to be better. We will see which game has better gameplay mechanics, as a fan and knowing zelda, I think zelda will win in the gameplay mechanics department, the story could go either way although for me zelda will win cause I care about zelda's universe but who knows, maybe horizon has a fantastic lore and story. Tech department well horizon looks too good so horizon wins. 

My unbiased opinion tells me that horizon is going to be good but it's going to suffer from the "same stuff of every open world game" situation while zelda is going to be enhanced because the zelda gameplay and mechanic is going to be part of tha "same stuff of every open world game" situation.

Mummelmann said:
JakDaSnack said:
DanneSandin said:
Mummelmann said:

It's a pretty meaningless comparison, in my opinion. They're both open world, but that's pretty much where the similarities stop.

Both will do really well sales wise, I also think Zelda will "win" on review scores. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Horizon sold slightly more, simply due to the large installed base and rising popularity of open world games in general. Zelda will have legs for sure, but I don't think the Switch installed base will ever get huge, and the Wii U, as we know, has a tiny installed base as well. Switch + Wii U version together should sell more than Horizon, if for no other reason than being an old, beloved franchise with two platforms to sell on, against a new IP by a developer whose biggest title to date has sold around 3 million or so (KZ3).

I'm actually interested in both games, where the lure isn't the open world, but rather what you can do in said world.

I was counting both versions of Zelda in my prediction. But yeah, both games have things going for and against it. Zelda is established and beloved, but having a small install base to sell to, while Horizon is a new IP by a dev whom hasn't been selling gang busters (relativily speaking), but that has a large install base.

So looking back, I think I quoted the wrong comments between you too, both the one I just grabbed and the previous comment not listed above, referred to "review scores"  That's why I mentioned it in the first place.  So that ones on me, With the major hit because of release date I was referring to second week scores because I do think that many gamers are both interested in Horizon and Zelda.  But again the major hit is in reference to second week, not first.  So the hit will be significantly smaller than what you are probably thinking.  I had other reasons why I believe horizon will sell less but I guess I didn't put them in my initial comment, that was my bad lol.

As for the emotional thing, that was probably the wrong word to say.  But usually people don't give advice without asking first. 

Something...Something...Games...Something

Normchacho said:

Seems you have convenently forgotten about the almost 8 million that OoT sold on N64, a console that sold 1/3 of Wii and the game was not at release , so from 5 3d Zelda mainline games on console, 3 have sold 4-5m and 2 have sold around 7m-8m (more counting the GC version of TP), so where is exactly the trend? Also this Zelda has even more hype than TP.

JakDaSnack said:

You guys do realize we're talking about Nintendo and Guerilla games.  Nintendo has a long history of making Zelda games on home consoles that score mid to upper 90's on metacritic.  Guerilla games has a long history (with one exception) of scoring in the 70-80 range, what makes you think Horizon will be different?  And with Zelda coming out a week later the sales will take a major hit on Horizon.  

I'm really hopeful that Horizon is great, if it is then I'll get it day one.  But even with a large install base, I don't think it will come close on sales.

Just my two cents.

JakDaSnack said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

1. No Mans Sky is trash 2. You're still comparing First person shooters to an RPG Adventure game.

No I'm not, I'm comparing a video game developer to a video game developer, it doesn't matter which type of game they make, it's still the same people doing it.  

Do you even look at your freaking comments.