By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

The only thing that's changed since last time I posted in this thread is confirmation that Zelda will be at the Switch launch. With that in mind, I think Zelda will get a large boost from early adopters; it seems to be THE game to have at launch. Combined with the fact this is on two platforms, I anticipate this being closer to a Twilight Princess scenario rather than a Skyward Sword.

Horizon will still be technically superior, while Zelda will still receive a higher metascore overall. Sale is the wild card...but I would be very surprised if a new IP beats Zelda based on the reasoning above.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Horizon will be more interesting to me since its a new IP and what not. I kinda know what to expect from zelda already.

JakDaSnack said:

You guys do realize we're talking about Nintendo and Guerilla games.  Nintendo has a long history of making Zelda games on home consoles that score mid to upper 90's on metacritic.  Guerilla games has a long history (with one exception) of scoring in the 70-80 range, what makes you think Horizon will be different?  And with Zelda coming out a week later the sales will take a major hit on Horizon.  

I'm really hopeful that Horizon is great, if it is then I'll get it day one.  But even with a large install base, I don't think it will come close on sales.

Just my two cents.

Who gives a DAMN about their past as long as a game looks good it shouldn't matter. Also you're comparing first person shooting games to a RPG adventure game like...

OnyxPhoenix said:
sc94597 said:

Joke? 

no, i'm serious, play any sony 1st party game then watch zelda gameplay, it's an enchanted version of shadow of the colossus graphics

Sorry, nope. The lighting, polygon count, geometric density, and texture quality alone make up a huge difference. That is without discussing the shaders, animations, and physics. 

DanneSandin said:

I'm not super sure that Horizon will take a major hit in sales; it all depends on how many Zelda fans is thinking about buying Horizon and how many hardcore gamers is thinking about getting a Switch. If hardcore gamers is super interested in the Switch, I can see Horizon taking a hit - but other than that, the release of the Switch and Zelda shouldn't effect Horizon all that much. But it's a good point. The question is if it's motsly Nintendo fans that gets their hands on the Switch first, or other gamers.

It's the only major game, besides Zelda, which I can think of right off the bat, that releases any time soon, so you have 50m people wanting to play something new by the time Horizon comes around, and not everyone of those 50m peoples will be getting a Switch day one. But yeah, I wouldn't be super surprised if Zelda sold more, not at all.

50m install base doesn't mean that 50m people are eagerly waiting to buy a new game lol.  Horizon looks great but it's a new IP, from a developer that has a history of not making great games.  What will determine the sales is likely the reviews, and if it has meh review, then chances are people will forget about it a week later when the game that everyone has been talking about since E3 of last year comes out.  The way I see it, 3 million is the ceiling for Horizon while 3 million is the floor for Zelda BOTW.  

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Gongratz too switch, ofcourse what do people think ps4 whas selling?

JakDaSnack said:
Mummelmann said:

Why would Switch and Zelda cause damage to a PS4 exclusive? Is this like when GTA IV killed the Wii? Zelda and the Switch sales will have no bearing on Horizon, all in all.

As for the rest; you'll note that neither I nor DanneSandin said that Horizon will "win" metascores, I think the exact opposite.

As for sales, that's a more open one, Switch obviously won't have any significant installed base when the game releases and the Wii U installed base is very small. The best selling Zelda in recent times (as in the last decade or so) is Skyward Sword on Wii with roughly 4 million sales and Ocarina of Time on 3DS with about 4.4 million sales. The best selling ones ever are the original OoT on N64, with about 7.6 million and Twilight Princess on Wii with about 7.15 million. Ocarina of Time was just huge, beyond huge on the N64 and is the highest rated video game of all time and TP had what would become a 100 million installed base to sell to.
Seeing as how Zelda on home consoles has taken a massive plunge in attach rate and the Switch is very, very, very unlikely to have a 100 million installed base, even adding in all Wii U owners, there's nothing to suggest that this Zelda will set an unbeatable standard of sales, but it's a wild card either way.

Horizon may sell more, it could also sell less, of course. Seeing Uncharted 4 propelled towards 10 million + lifetime, one cannot underestimate the sales potential of action titles on the PS4 either. Yes, UC is an established series by a well known developer, but breakout games happen all the time and Horizon could very well be one (plus, the first UC sold almost 5 million as a new IP on a brand new platform and was in a genre that Naughty Dog were not tested in at all).

Why would software kill a new console?  That makes no sense.

You assumed that when I said "you guys" that I was assuming that you held differeing opinions, which wasn't true, I was merely mentioning an argument that neither one of you had brought up.

Actually Twilight princess sold 8.5 million on both GC and Wii, Skyward sword obviously sold less but the reception wasn't even remotely as positive as twilight princess.  Do you remember the reaction of Twilight princess? It was insane and I would argue the reception of Breathe of the wild is much better.  Mario kart 8 has sold 7 million on wii U, so it's not unheard of to see a game sell a lot on a lower install base.

As for GG, their best selling game sold 3 million and that was on a much larger install base than the ps4.  It's certainly possible that Horizon will sell more but when it comes to exclusives on the ps4, the best selling game not made by Naughty Dog didn't even break 3 million(I'm referring to Infamous, unless I missed an exclusive).

Going back to the point about Zelda coming out a week after Horizon.  Zelda completely overshadowed Horizon at E3, it wasn't even close.  And it's very likely Zelda will do the same when it is released a week later.

One final point, Zelda is a series that has constantly changed over the years, and the initial reception directly effects the sales.  Windwaker and skyward sword were all initally met with negativity and their sales showed it(between 3-4.5 mil sales each).  While OOT and Twilight princess were initially met very positively(sales from 7-8.5 mil) and guess what the sales showed it.  BOTW has had probably most positive reception of any Zelda ever, and you can bet that the sales will reflect that reception.

Kuch kuch god of war.

Kuch kuch jak and daxter 

Kuch kuch littlebigplanet

Kuch kuch spyro

Kuch kuch socom

Kuchkuch want me to continue? 

Edit : ow ya ment ps4 only well 

More exclusives  means more choice  for gamers  means sales are divided, wiiu gamers didn't  really  have much choice + there well known franchises that are being  made years and years, yet uncharted 4 still outsold them means a lot.

Horizon  if its good will crush  zelda  sorry.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

JakDaSnack said:

Why would software kill a new console?  That makes no sense.

You assumed that when I said "you guys" that I was assuming that you held differeing opinions, which wasn't true, I was merely mentioning an argument that neither one of you had brought up.

Actually Twilight princess sold 8.5 million on both GC and Wii, Skyward sword obviously sold less but the reception wasn't even remotely as positive as twilight princess.  Do you remember the reaction of Twilight princess? It was insane and I would argue the reception of Breathe of the wild is much better.  Mario kart 8 has sold 7 million on wii U, so it's not unheard of to see a game sell a lot on a lower install base.

As for GG, their best selling game sold 3 million and that was on a much larger install base than the ps4.  It's certainly possible that Horizon will sell more but when it comes to exclusives on the ps4, the best selling game not made by Naughty Dog didn't even break 3 million(I'm referring to Infamous, unless I missed an exclusive).

Going back to the point about Zelda coming out a week after Horizon.  Zelda completely overshadowed Horizon at E3, it wasn't even close.  And it's very likely Zelda will do the same when it is released a week later.

One final point, Zelda is a series that has constantly changed over the years, and the initial reception directly effects the sales.  Windwaker and skyward sword were all initally met with negativity and their sales showed it(between 3-4.5 mil sales each).  While OOT and Twilight princess were initially met very positively(sales from 7-8.5 mil) and guess what the sales showed it.  BOTW has had probably most positive reception of any Zelda ever, and you can bet that the sales will reflect that reception.

Bolded; precisely, that's my point. People said that GTA IV would "kill the Wii", this was never happening since the consoles sold to entirely different demographics. And that ties into my point of Zelda vs Horizon: Switch and PS4 and Zelda and Horizon are unlikely to have the same demographics since the game concepts and consoles in and on themselves are so different.
Offering a new Ford Fiesta on the market won't steal away customers from Volvo V70, they're aimed at people with different needs and wishes.

Zelda won't affect the sales of Horizon and vice versa.

Mario Kart is a poor example, it's a vastly bigger franchise than Zelda, heck; it sold 35 million on Wii...

I'm not saying Horizon will sell more, I don't think it actually will, but I don't think that Zelda BotW will sell numbers that can't be beat by a game like Horizon under the right circumstances. So; Zelda will score higher, that's a given, it will probably sell more but it's not quite as certain. Satisfied?

PS: If you're making a point to refute a point that no one you quoted made, consider not making it at all, or at least clarify that it's meant as a genral observation, that was impossible to discern based on the post alone. Thanks for clarifying it now though.

PPS: Breakout games happen, especially open world games that are well made. Look at The Witcher 3, on smaller installed bases, it has sold a whole lot more than the previous one, also from a studio with little pedigree and no massive hits.

lionpetercarmoo said:

Who gives a DAMN about their past as long as a game looks good it shouldn't matter. Also you're comparing first person shooting games to a RPG adventure game like...

Let me guess, you preorder No Mans Sky? lol.  

I'm not saying they can't make a great game, I'm saying that if a game studio has a long history of making bad games, predicting that they will suddenly make a good game is not very wise.  And at the very least you should wait to preorder until the reviews come out.

Something...Something...Games...Something

sc94597 said:
OnyxPhoenix said:

no, i'm serious, play any sony 1st party game then watch zelda gameplay, it's an enchanted version of shadow of the colossus graphics

Sorry, nope. The lighting, polygon count, geometric density, and texture quality alone make up a huge difference. That is without discussing the shaders, animations, and physics. 

that's why i said "enchanted"

JakDaSnack said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

Let me guess, you preorder No Mans Sky? lol.  

I'm not saying they can't make a great game, I'm saying that if a game studio has a long history of making bad games, predicting that they will suddenly make a good game is not very wise.  And at the very least you should wait to preorder until the reviews come out.

1. No Mans Sky is trash 2. You're still comparing First person shooters to an RPG Adventure game.