By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Rumour) Rise of the Tomb Raider sells less than 200k in November (U.S.)

OneKartVita said:
December 5th in the US. sales are not looking good
This will definitely be on games for gold and ps plus in a few years. Hopefully the ip isn't too damaged to get a proper sequel.

Hopefuly Square will realize that the other factors were the main issue here not the franchise.

Around the Network
method114 said:
OneKartVita said:
This will definitely be on games for gold and ps plus in a few years. Hopefully the ip isn't too damaged to get a proper sequel.

Hopefuly Square will realize that the other factors were the main issue here not the franchise.

But what if they've damaged the franchise long term? What if Playstation gamers by the series way less from now on 

AsGryffynn said:
walsufnir said:

Obviously he thinks the game will be a PS+ game at some time.

They release lower budget titles there...

You're right and I hate it! PS+ on PS3 was so great. We'd get good games every month. I'm not saying we need AAA games all the time but the ones we get are awful! All these Pixel-Art BS games and low quality nonsense. Mobile has better games than the games that are offered on PS+. They can do better. Even though they're "free" I still don't download them. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

The part about this that is so shocking is the incredible shit storm when they announced the exclusive deal. And then for the sales to be so damn low is really something. Its like Square did everything wrong.
They originally said that this move was the best thing for the franchise and fans
They excluded the largest user base
They launched alongside of Fallout 4
They really did Crystal Dynamics a huge disservice after they created a great game.

This is a masterclass in franchise destruction.

walsufnir said:
brendude13 said:
walsufnir said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I didn't even own a PS1, but when I think of that era - I always see Tomb Raider as synonomous with Playstation (And I know many others do too).

Yes, because Sony bought the franchise in the 90s so it wasn't allowed to come out on other consoles.

Maybe it just had the loyal fanbase fanbase to sell millions instead of 200k?

Maybe the Playstation was the preferable platform to develop on instead of the cartridge constrained N64 and the difficult to work with and poorly performing Sega Saturn?

Maybe they would have expanded from the Playstation if they were presented with more promising platforms to develop on?

Oh.

OT: It got the sales it deserved.

So many maybes, yet they still bought it.

then how do you explain these two DC ports then?

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
brendude13 said:

That's not the reason the brand is synonymous with Playstation though is it? Given the Playstation's dominance at that point it was just a formality really.

Throwing money at a franchise doesn't make it synonymous to that platform, as the OP clearly shows.

Correlation, dependency, causality, hard to tell. But somehow Sony thought the deal might be worth it. We don't know what would've happened otherwise.

it would have still sold better on PS like every other multiplat did at that time. Why think TR would ahve been an exception.

walsufnir said:
oniyide said:
game would have done better had it not been exclusive, people would have bought it on PS4 and PC, thats just common sense.

Eh, it's not common sense, it's only logical. MGSV sold more because it also released on last gen consoles. The more platforms, the more sales.

bad comparison, how well did MGSV do on the last gen consoles? pretty bad, how well would have TR done on PS4 and PC at the very least as good or better than Xone version judging by the sales of the series on platforms in the past. We can play we dont know what would have happened, but you know in your heart its true.

CosmicSex said:
The part about this that is so shocking is the incredible shit storm when they announced the exclusive deal. And then for the sales to be so damn low is really something. Its like Square did everything wrong.
They originally said that this move was the best thing for the franchise and fans
They excluded the largest user base
They launched alongside of Fallout 4
They really did Crystal Dynamics a huge disservice after they created a great game.

This is a masterclass in franchise destruction.

i really dont think SE cares that much, it was evident with their talk about how the last game underperformed

FentonCrackshell said:
AsGryffynn said:

They release lower budget titles there...

You're right and I hate it! PS+ on PS3 was so great. We'd get good games every month. I'm not saying we need AAA games all the time but the ones we get are awful! All these Pixel-Art BS games and low quality nonsense. Mobile has better games than the games that are offered on PS+. They can do better. Even though they're "free" I still don't download them. 

Whan the Playstation Plus launched on PS3 there was already plenty of good titles out to makes it so PS+ had great value, expecting the same to happen on PS4 was simply not possible, it's a service who gains value as the generation goes.

Would still takes ages to see Tomb Raider on it though.

OneKartVita said:
method114 said:
OneKartVita said:

But what if they've damaged the franchise long term? What if Playstation gamers by the series way less from now on 

It's very possible that they have done that. What I'm hoping though is that didn't happen and releasing the next game across all platforms will have everyone picking it up and maybe even going back and getting the sequel that they  might have skipped.