By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Retail Rakes it in after 360 Price Cut

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29970/Retail-rakes-it-in-after-360-cut From article: "Retail has hailed Microsoft's mission to hit the mainstream after dropping its entry-level SKU to under £160 -- and stores have seen sales rocket following the cut." Seems its a win-win for everybody.

Around the Network

working at a retailer myself, my company makes almost no money (in fact at a loss) selling console hardwares.

So I don't know what they are so cheerful about.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Probably the games that are making $15+ that go with the systems that get sold...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

>Probably the games that are making $15+ that go with the systems that get sold...

my retailer (biggest in US when it comes to electronics) makes no profit in games either.

Unless you sell used games by ripping off little kids who traded them in...

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

Uh hunh...

Last time I checked, Retailers made $10-15 per $60 game.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>Probably the games that are making $15+ that go with the systems that get sold...

my retailer (biggest in US when it comes to electronics) makes no profit in games either.

So wtf do they make money on LOL

sorry it did double post.

kingofwale said:

So are you telling us your retailer makes no profit from being in the games business, save perhaps for accessories? ...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

So are you telling us your retailer makes no profit from being in the games business, save perhaps for accessories? ...

exactly.  Accessories is what makes the most money for most retailers. They do make money on games, but not enough to cover their operating cost.

What do you think Gamestop decided to sell used games? That's how they make money

selnor
Episode 2:

NJ5 - thats my point. Retailers DO make money, and lots of it, off of the software. That's why they sell consoles at MSRP, even when they break even, or lose income.