By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Yôkai Watch a massive failure in the US?

I saw on the comments that it was one day of sales only. But still, It'll probably be around 150-200K LT in the US. I just don't see this catching on in the US. Level 5 and Nintendo can be as optimistic as they want to but it won't catch on here. It's a very fresh game but it's very...um...strange. Even by JRPG standards.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Total viewers of the anime on Disney XD:

Episode 1: 300k
Episode 2: 278k
Episode 3: 286k
Episode 4: 279k
Episode 5: NA
Episode 6: 250k
Episode 7: 115k
Episode 8: 193k
Episode 9: 234k
Episode 10: 348k
Episode 11: 351k
Episode 12: 154k

It was going up but they skipped a week between episode 11 and 12 and that hit hard.

Honestly, that's much better than I expected. While I'm not sure how profitable it'll be for the timeslot and advertising they paid for, it's certainly not horrid.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It only sold like 50k first week in Japan and didn't pick up until later on. So we won't know for sure for a bit.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Augen said:
My guess is much depends on success of the show this could be a series that builds.

I have no clue what kids (5-12) are into these days besides Minecraft.

playing games on smartphones or tablets

its selling on amazon

Around the Network

It had a slow start in Japan too..

and I didn't really expect it to be popular or as popular as Pokemon, as some predicted :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

To all the "it had a slow start in Japan" comments, I can understand where you're coming from, but bear in mind:

The game released in July 2013. The anime started in January 2014. And it's when the anime hit that the game really started to take off.

It did have legs beyond a low first week in 2013 too, but still. If it's gonna take off in the west, it's already had 12 episodes of anime (according to Boutros' list). It should be happening by now (providing VGC tracking is in the right ballpark, of course).

Without the show, this game doesn't have what it takes. It's just so much less fun than Pokemon!

It would seem so and, IMO, it is the single most predictable failure of the year. Yokai's appeal, it's charm, so much of it is culture dependent. Not related, dependent. The whole premise's charm comes from Japanese folklore. The odds of something so dependent on the local culture would have any success in the west was slim at best. Add to that a battle system deliberately aping the simplicity and style of popular mobile games in Japan - something that just doesn't fly in retail games in the west - and failure was almost assured. Pokemon's success is largely due to it being its own context. Sure there were and are Japanese influences but the fact is you have no need to know anything about Japan to get the appeal. Yokai has its own merits, sure, but so many of the charming touches come from an outside context, the Japanese culture. And if you don't know the culture, you won't get it.

We'll need to pay atention to the holyday numbers, a lot of kids might get this game for Christmas. Also, it hasn't released in Europe yet. But the success of YW on the west looks bleaker and bleaker every day.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.