By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 4 - Game Awards trailer featuring new character Nadine Ross & insane graphics

GribbleGrunger said:
pitzy272 said:

Patience, my friend. It's highly likely PSX will have gameplay footage. Sony wasn't going to show their best footage at TGA. Saving it for PSX. 

I hope they don't show any more gameplay at PSX. I've seen far too much already.

They will most probably show new gameplay footage, simply I won't watch it due to Spoiler.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:

They will most probably show new gameplay footage, simply I won't watch it due to Spoiler.  

I won't be able to resist though. If they DO show more gameplay, I hope they show the same level they'd showed at PSX but using alternative routes. That would be fine by me.

The PS5 Exists. 

Teeqoz said:
pitzy272 said:

Ok, would anyone care to explain what cgi vs. in-engine means, specifically, along with why the difference holds any significance?

I tried looking this up once and wasn't able to find much. 

While all the images are cgi (computer generated images), what people mean when they say cgi cutscenes are that they are pre-rendered, and then the video file is on the disc, so the console reads it off, like a movie. On the other hand, in-engine, means that the cutscenes are rendered on the console itself, in real time, instead of the complete scene being complete on the disc, and just read of there.

I kind of understood that part. But what makes in-engine cutscenes so much more impressive or preferred?

d21lewis said:
pitzy272 said:

Ok, would anyone care to explain what cgi vs. in-engine means, specifically, along with why the difference holds any significance?

In game (to me) means when you're actually in control and playing, this is what the game will look like. The same models, effects, backgrounds, etc. It's indistinguishable from the actual game.

CGI/Rendered/etc (to me) means that they record footage, often times on much more powerful hardware but sometimes using game footage and adding effects.  The difference in prerendered footage and actual gameplay used to be shocking.  Now, it's possible to get similar results without going beyond what the console is capable of.

@bolded

Ahhh, this was the single thing I didn't realize. That makes total sense now as to why in-engine would be considered so much more impressive than cgi. 

Thank u sir!

GribbleGrunger said:
pitzy272 said:

I know, I'm on the fence about it too. I try to be extra careful when it comes to uncharted. I actually never watched the second half of the e3 demo. Want to save everything I can. 

I think Sony is going to force ND to show something, tho. :/

You haven't seen the second half of the E3 trailer? Oh, boy you're in for a treat when the game drops.

Ha I know! I've read and watched many ppl's reactions. I can't freakin wait. 

Around the Network
Hardcore_gamer said:
Lol that's not even gameplay it's cinematic trailer of course gonna looks good even cinematic trailer on quantum break looks better

WTF are you smoking? Quantum Break doesnt even look on par and even I cant wait for that game.

pitzy272 said:
Teeqoz said:

While all the images are cgi (computer generated images), what people mean when they say cgi cutscenes are that they are pre-rendered, and then the video file is on the disc, so the console reads it off, like a movie. On the other hand, in-engine, means that the cutscenes are rendered on the console itself, in real time, instead of the complete scene being complete on the disc, and just read of there.

I kind of understood that part. But what makes in-engine cutscenes so much more impressive or preferred?

In addition to what d21lewis said, it's also a matter of disc space and download size. High quality HD video takes a whole lot of GBs, while if it is rendered in-engine, it only needs instructions for what to render, so file size is a lot smaller. Useful in this day and age where digital distribution is rising.

Teeqoz said:
pitzy272 said:

In addition to what d21lewis said, it's also a matter of disc space and download size. High quality HD video takes a whole lot of GBs, while if it is rendered in-engine, it only needs instructions for what to render, so file size is a lot smaller. Useful in this day and age where digital distribution is rising.

Also helpful. Thanks man. 

pitzy272 said:
d21lewis said:
Uabit said:
Wow CGI insane graphics. How do they do that????

PS4's powerz finally awaken wowowow...

I dunno. I think we've reached that point in hand graphics where it is too hard to tell. I could spot the ones in past Uncharted games easily but not so much, these days.  There were even parts in the new Tomb Raider where I swore it was cgi but when I played them in a different outfit, the cutscenes reflected the new outfit. 

We'll just have to see it up and running in its entirety. I think ND said they weren't using CGI this gen, though.

well, on games boards we usually use "CGI" to refer to non-interactive pre-rendered sequences (well, videos) that have been generated on server farms (without the games engine or console hardware)..

"in-engine" footage obviously is generated with the games engine (= closer to how the game looks during gameplay), but that footage can be pre-rendered aswell, either on high-end hardware or console clusters or at a reduced capture speed (eg the console only rendered a scene at 10fps, but a video they captured is played at 30/60fps once the player unlocks this sequence)

real-time in-engine footage is done by the hardware you are playing the game on, yet sometimes those can still look a bit better than actual gameplay as non-interactive scenes are less demanding to process and therefore devs can use the freed up resources for better/addtional filtering etc

This is why I still play games. Didn't mind the wait at all and its almost here.