By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Friday Retail Musings

After two days of working at my local Best Buy it looked like the PS4 and Xbox One sold about equal with Xbox One possibly taking the edge. The other consoles were 100% irrelevant. I ask my co-workers in gaming if they sold any Wii U's, 3DS or Vita and they said nope, not a single one. I'm sure some of these consoles were sold but they must have been at the front checkout.

Other than that nothing funny or weird happened. These two days went by with very little hassle at my store.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
jonhalo said:
Insidb said:

Unfortunately, it only says that X1 was a top seller for Thanksgiving (where PS4 is not mentioned at all) and that it was one of the top sellers on Black Friday. No explicit winner is stated, but it sounds like sales were huge.

if xb1 is in the top 5 overall for black friday,
but ps4 only in the top5 electronics for black friday, xb1 was selling more than ps4 (according to theire claim)

top 5 electronics:
Samsung 4K TVs, Apple iPad Air 2, Microsoft Xbox One, Apple iPad Mini and Sony PS4
top 5 toys:
Lego Dimensions, Shopkin dolls, Lego Star Wars, Barbie Dream House and Lego Friends

top 5 overall are the 5 bold products. 3 out of the electronic top 5 and 2 out of the toys top 5

edit: nvm i found it

It's fairly evident that they both killed it, but the split is a toss up.

jonhalo said:

according to adobe data, xbox one won black friday
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151127005410/en/Adobe-Data-Shows-Top-Sellers-Black-Friday

top 5 overall:
Samsung TVs, iPad Air 2, Microsoft XBox, Lego Star Wars, Shopkin Dolls
top5 electronics:
Samsung 4K TVs, Apple iPad Air 2, Microsoft Xbox One, Apple iPad Mini and Sony PS4
top5 toys:
Lego Dimensions, Shopkin dolls, Lego Star Wars, Barbie Dream House and Lego Friends

It says Microsoft Xbox though.

Only went to my local Walmart (Mililani, Hawaii) to get a bunch of DVD (I got like 7 movies I wanted for 26 bucks). Since I was there decided to check out the games. It was maybe 2 pm HST. When in the PS4 section it felt like I was playing Fallout 4. No PS4 consoles (a few random PS3 bundles) games were wiped out. None of the good ones were left in the case, but I did find a few good games out of place in like the DVD section....

WiiU and XB1 looked picked through. Most of the good tiles were still in stock, but it definitely looked depleted. My Walmart did not have pallets on the store floor with any consoles, but the WiiU and XB1 console spots were full behind the glass.

Also note this Walmart was 2 miles from a major Army Installation on Oahu. The shopping audience is split between locals and military. I have been in the Army for 7 years now, and I believe the military favors XB over PS brand. Its maybe 60-40. A lot of that has to do with the American brand factor and FPS is very popular in Military. So I was surprised to see the PS stuff wiped out and XB still decently supplied (I have not idea for many WiiU/XB1 consoles were still in the back).

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

kurasakiichimaru said:
jonhalo said:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151127005410/en/Adobe-Data-Shows-Top-Sellers-Black-Friday

top 5 overall:
top5 electronics:
top5 toys:

It says Microsoft Xbox though.

Good point: there are a LOT of reports of outstanding X360 sales.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
Only went to my local Walmart (Mililani, Hawaii) to get a bunch of DVD (I got like 7 movies I wanted for 26 bucks). Since I was there decided to check out the games. It was maybe 2 pm HST. When in the PS4 section it felt like I was playing Fallout 4. No PS4 consoles (a few random PS3 bundles) games were wiped out. None of the good ones were left in the case, but I did find a few good games out of place in like the DVD section....

WiiU and XB1 looked picked through. Most of the good tiles were still in stock, but it definitely looked depleted. My Walmart did not have pallets on the store floor with any consoles, but the WiiU and XB1 console spots were full behind the glass.

Also note this Walmart was 2 miles from a major Army Installation on Oahu. The shopping audience is split between locals and military. I have been in the Army for 7 years now, and I believe the military favors XB over PS brand. Its maybe 60-40. A lot of that has to do with the American brand factor and FPS is very popular in Military. So I was surprised to see the PS stuff wiped out and XB still decently supplied (I have not idea for many WiiU/XB1 consoles were still in the back).

I can attest to the XBox preference, from my friends in the military.

jonhalo said:

top 5 overall:
top5 electronics:
top5 toys:

The press release and what you posted say different things. 

Perhaps you should read it again. 

If you actually read the report from Adobe it says that "Xbox One" was a top seller on Black Friday and Thanksgiving (Thurdsday) above the "PlayStation 4"

It also says "Xbox One" and "PlayStation 4" were among the top 5 best selling electronic products on Black Friday. 

jonhalo said:
Playstation_awaiter said:

Looks like they were close this time, ps4 will win due to the winning all month and the previous months accumulation of cod and battlefront bundles.

possible
i would not bet on it, though

this month is a total tossup. and after last months weak ps4 performance i dare to shout out ps4 winning again
only save thing for me are the following two facts:
xb1 + ps4 combined sales  November 2015 will be up YOY
xb1 vs ps4 sales gap November 2015 will be down YOY

third point im nearly 100% sure about:
ps4 will be up November 2015 YoY
xb1 will be down November 2015 YoY

every other outcome will be extremely shocking and one or both consoles will be domed, if come true...
xb1 + ps4 combined will be down YoY --> consoles are doomed
xb1 vs ps4 sales gap increased over last year --> looser ist doomed
ps4 will be down YoY --> ps4 is doomed in the us
xb1 will be up YoY --> xb1 will take back us

sabvre42 said:
Mr_No said:

I went to my local Best Buy, which didn't offer any ads to see what was on sale and what were the deals. Not even the offers from the website applied there, so I relied heavily on guesswork. The PS Gold headset wasn't at $70 like on the website but at it's original price ($115), but the 20th anniversary version was at $100, so I nabbed it. I also got a 128GB pendrive for $28. I also got several Blu-Rays. Gamestop opened by 5am and I totally missed AC Black Flag, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and Infamous: Second Son. So I got the first two on Amazon and the third one on PSN. Could've been better.

Overall, it was a pretty easygoing Black Friday without any incidents or fights. I saw many cheap TV's that weren't worth it and I believe Best Buy was trying to shaft consumers by not releasing any ads and nullifying the one online. 

Thats kinda wierd. According to our profile you are from PR - which means you use the USD and the same corporate best buy...

I bought the PS Gold headset from best buy for $60USD.

Exactly! That's what bugs me. The headset was at $60 on the online ads, but when I asked, they said they weren't gonna apply it. On top of that, they didn't have any ad available at the store or any newspaper on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

ZhugeEX said:
jonhalo said:

top 5 overall:
top5 electronics:
top5 toys:

You should work in PR. The press release and what you posted say different things. 

Perhaps you should read it again. 

the article says exactly that, because eveything were quotes.
if the headline is just a random selected list of the besteller and not the top5, blame the author not me
do you have the full report to back up your claim? me not.
but if we look at the Adobe Digital Holiday Spending Report in the links below, we also read something weird as "Sony has a strong lead over LG and Samsung in 4k TVS"
while the article is claiming Samsung 4k TVS

this seems to be part of the original data:
http://www.cmo.com/articles/2015/11/25/2015-holiday-shopping-uptothe-minute-data-from-adi.html

seems like the article is just a messed up and bad written as so may ones
the claimed bf bestseller are thanksgiving best seller.

im sorry, i did not tripple checked the sources and artice to be correct and exact...
if you have any more information, don't hesitate to share ;)