By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Star Wars prequel films could have been directed by someone other than George Lucas

I like the prequels a lot, they are by no means perfect films but I like them. It'd have been interesting to see how other directors would have pulled them off though. My problem with the prequels is the excessive political talks and (even though I love The Phantom Menace) how the PM was unnecessary and a movie between 2 and 3 would've been able to explore the Clone Wars a bit better

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Am I like the only one who enjoyed the prequels XD?

Nope, I thought they where great. The point is this, No matter the direction the movie could have went, it still would have never been good enough because the classics hold nostalgia for many people. For instance, them changing the ending to the Return of the Jedi,  was better, made more sense, However people didn't liked it because it interrupted their child-hood memories. My wife had a issue with it at first and until I pointed this out, the next time she watched it, she actually like it more on further review.

Many people don't like change, this is what fuels Conservatives, even if it's a great idea, they want to destroy it Because change is scary. Like when FDR became president, they demonized the shit out of him, however through his economic policy called the new deal  which lead to the creation of the 1950's middle class, which was the largest the world have ever seen, ever and it was like that until Reagan became president and destroyed this wonderful economic policy.

StarOcean said:
I like the prequels a lot, they are by no means perfect films but I like them. It'd have been interesting to see how other directors would have pulled them off though. My problem with the prequels is the excessive political talks and (even though I love The Phantom Menace) how the PM was unnecessary and a movie between 2 and 3 would've been able to explore the Clone Wars a bit better

this.

The PT films are enjoyable. Are the as good as the Originals. NO!. But that does not prevent them from being fun imaginative film in their own right. Basically each of the 1st 2 have a fatal flaw. EP 1, JAR JAR. Nuff said. EP 2, horrible romantic dialoge. EP 3 is pretty good. My only issue with it is the fight scenes drag.

Yes the CGI was overused. But, when they were released people like it. The issue is that now they looked like dated videogames. The CGI does not age well.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
StarOcean said:

this.

The PT films are enjoyable. Are the as good as the Originals. NO!. But that does not prevent them from being fun imaginative film in their own right. Basically each of the 1st 2 have a fatal flaw. EP 1, JAR JAR. Nuff said. EP 2, horrible romantic dialoge. EP 3 is pretty good. My only issue with it is the fight scenes drag.

Yes the CGI was overused. But, when they were released people like it. The issue is that now they looked like dated videogames. The CGI does not age well.

While my opinion of JarJar has changed as I've matured, I found him to be an enjoyable character as a kid actually XD I never liked how he looked though, I just wanted to punch him... and yeah the romance was a bit much in 2. I'd argue that 2 is the worst Star Wars movie since most of the movie is centered around romance and politics, which isn't inheritly bad, but the way it was executed could have been a bit better with a few fight scenes here and there. I think the problem I have most with 2 is that it is incredibly slow compared to every other Star Wars movie. Which is a shame since it shows us the Clone Wars! 3 does a better job at showing it, as did the side shows with it and yeah, 3 was good. My only gripe was the battle droids were turned into jokes by the 3rd movie. I never understood why they turned them into comic relief throughout the trilogy, perhaps better AI? Idk  

The CGI is a bit bad in some areas. But I'd say it was decent and some of it holds up pretty good. The only place they don't fit is in the OG Trilogy re-releases. I'm not a OG Trilogy fanatic, but the CG they added in don't mesh well with the movies at all :S perhaps if they waited a little longer to improve CG it wouldn't have looked so odd, but because of the time of release it doesn't look right. However that is just my opinion.

StarOcean said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

this.

While my opinion of JarJar has changed as I've matured, I found him to be an enjoyable character as a kid actually XD I never liked how he looked though, I just wanted to punch him... and yeah the romance was a bit much in 2. I'd argue that 2 is the worst Star Wars movie since most of the movie is centered around romance and politics, which isn't inheritly bad, but the way it was executed could have been a bit better with a few fight scenes here and there. I think the problem I have most with 2 is that it is incredibly slow compared to every other Star Wars movie. Which is a shame since it shows us the Clone Wars! 3 does a better job at showing it, as did the side shows with it and yeah, 3 was good. My only gripe was the battle droids were turned into jokes by the 3rd movie. I never understood why they turned them into comic relief throughout the trilogy, perhaps better AI? Idk  

The CGI is a bit bad in some areas. But I'd say it was decent and some of it holds up pretty good. The only place they don't fit is in the OG Trilogy re-releases. I'm not a OG Trilogy fanatic, but the CG they added in don't mesh well with the movies at all :S perhaps if they waited a little longer to improve CG it wouldn't have looked so odd, but because of the time of release it doesn't look right. However that is just my opinion.

I have said for a long time that AOTC is really good if you fast forward the Anakin-Padme on Naboo scenes.

Coruscant Scense- Fun.

Obiwan on Cloners planet- Cool

Obiwan in Asteroid field against Jangjo- Exciting

Arena Battle- Fun.

Clones versus Droid Battle- Fun

Yoda versus Dooku- Was fun back in 03, now looks corney as hell.

The factory scene drags on way too long. Again just ignore the Naboo BS and AOTC becomes an infinitely better movie.

TPM is unreemable. Simply because Jar Jar is in almost every scene. TPM, Pod Race was very good, Final battle (Anakin, Qui Gon vrs Maul) was very good. Thats about all it has going for it.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:

I have said for a long time that AOTC is really good if you fast forward the Anakin-Padme on Naboo scenes.

Coruscant Scense- Fun.

Obiwan on Cloners planet- Cool

Obiwan in Asteroid field against Jangjo- Exciting

Arena Battle- Fun.

Clones versus Droid Battle- Fun

Yoda versus Dooku- Was fun back in 03, now looks corney as hell.

The factory scene drags on way too long. Again just ignore the Naboo BS and AOTC becomes an infinitely better movie.

TPM is unreemable. Simply because Jar Jar is in almost every scene. TPM, Pod Race was very good, Final battle (Anakin, Qui Gon vrs Maul) was very good. Thats about all it has going for it.

The situation with Jar Jar is that if you consider real intent with that character, make a funny character, it was a failure.

But the first time I saw that character I indeed found him a nuisance, but it somehow made me appreciate the Jedi "ambassadors" a little more.

The way I saw the whole Jar Jar affair is that he was an strange life form, and you have this peace keepers that, although they have this weird clumsy creature as responsibility, they still try to save him and remain calmed and not being part of his nonesense. Having that character around kind of helped my impression of how stoic, in-control, and noble the Jedi were.

If you consider intent, it was a failure, but it became something else for me, like someone trying to make you experience "bodyguard" scenes from a creature others may rather see dead: the value of life.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1