By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 4 has sold-through 30.2 million units worldwide

Ok i was wrong, they were right to delay Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank. There would have been PS4 shortages otherwise. :-p

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:

Congrats! Hopefully this means Sony will feel more comfortable to experiment and invest on different kinds of games like Teawaray and Until Dawn!

I hope so too. Indeed that is a side of Sony for which it is well known and the main reason why I love their gaming division so much. Bring us more unique games Sony! <3 Shuhei Yoshida

And they said console gaming was dying...

gooch_destroyer said:

Now they just say it's front loaded. oh and my favourite. that this will be the last console generation. 

FIT_Gamer said:
Damn they should easily hit 40 million by March.

Sold through? Doubt it. Shipped? Possibly. Sony is expecting to have shipped 39.8million PS4s by March 31st and that's after they already upped their forecast twice. First they expected 38.3million by March 31st, that was upped to 38.8million and then that was upped to 39.8million.

Around the Network

Despite the fact that Sony provides sold-in numbers every quarter and sold-through numbers consistently, VGChartz somehow still manages to undertrack the PS4 quite a lot, embarrassing.

Intrinsic said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Now they just say it's front loaded. oh and my favourite. that this will be the last console generation. 

Goes to show ya...

foodfather said:
Have people forgotten when Sony say sold, they really mean shipped. Or are they more confident now to use ''sold'' more truthfully these days???

You should read the source before you post something like this. The Sony PS release clearly and explicitly said this number is a sell through estimate. It is an estimate, so it has a MoE, but I would say the MoE is a lot lower than VGC's MoE.

And on that note, as a point of reference for adjustments the fact this is an estimate by Sony means VGC does not have to adjust to be exactly in line with Sony's estimate. If VGC adjusts and shows a LTD of 29.8M then who's to say they are wrong? If Sony's estimate is over by 1% then that puts the true LTD at 29.9M. With at least 400K incoming for w/e 21 Nov VGC really only needs to adjust up by just on 1 million to be within a decent MoE of Sony's estimate. People are going a bit overboard with an undertrack of only modest proportions. I think VGC misread the effect of the $50 price cut, and that's pretty much all there is to it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Intrinsic said:
gooch_destroyer said:

It's shrunk this gen for sure, mainly because of the Wii U selling poorly and I believe the XB1 eventually will start to dip below the 360 rate of sales aligning launch dates.  I also still think it'll be more front loaded but the more I see PS4 selling like this, the more I doubt PS4 having front loaded sales. Xbox One will very likely be more front loaded than the 360 though. So it's a mixed bag for me.

I admit, I loled when I saw the front page. Obviously Chartz is way off here because otherwise, Sony sold 800k PS4s last week or something just as unlikely has happened. Either way, We do know that Sony has sold at least 900k PS4s this month. Assuming that 500k were on shelves on 10/31 this means that they sold 1.4 million World Wide this month. If Sony has sold 30% of those in the US then they are sitting at 420k this month in the US so far. If its closer to 50% then things get cray cray.