By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are we entering or have already entered a new cold war?

21st century cold war...?

Yes. 42 32.81%

No. 47 36.72%

I am getting suspicious...hm, maybe so. 25 19.53%

Did sone one say somethin... 14 10.94%

Total:128
fatslob-:O said:

I'll have you know that as soon as Russia declares war on the US, you won't even recognize what's left of the russian army anymore. It would be a sight to behold a minor genocide in front of our eyes ... (I mean that in a negative connotation ofcourse)

BTW, China is neutral when it comes to alliances so Russia ain't anymore of a buddy to them than the US is ...

The US would be still too powerful for any country to beat even if they cut funding now ...

Well Fallout 5 will be a reality if anyone declares war on each other ^^;;

Besides China doesn't seem to need Russia anyway. They pretty much can do anything they want here in Asia. They have already taken the South China Sea for their own by building man made military islands and violating international law in process.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Walk softly and carry a big stick>carry a small stick and walk as loudly as you fucking can in the hopes that people actually think you have a big stick.

Well the guys with the small stick are dictating everything right now and the guy with the big stick is afraid of them.

Guys, I agree that the US is strong but they are showing fear and is allowing Russia to laugh at them and China to walk all over them. To be honest, I'm not that worried about Russia since as you guys said their economy is bad but China is a whole different level economically.

I mean, the world needs China's economy so bad, that they are getting a free pass on what BS they are doing. I mean, its like Luke Warm War or something -_-

Around the Network
tiffac said:

That's true but the lack of actions by the west, especially the US to the movement of Russia and China is the problem.

Russia and China knows that the western leaders are scared and weak. So they just do whatever they want.

The US is also cutting their military budget and Obama is busy trying to steal Syria away from Asad.

I'll have you know that as soon as Russia declares war on the US, you won't even recognize what's left of the russian army anymore. It would be a sight to behold a minor genocide in front of our eyes ... (I mean that in a negative connotation ofcourse)

BTW, China is neutral when it comes to alliances so Russia ain't anymore of a buddy to them than the US is ...

The US would be still too powerful for any country to beat even if they cut funding now ...

If Russia declares war on the US then you won't be seeing anything. IT would be the end of Russia and the US and send everyone back to the stoneage. Both Russia and US easily have the firepower to obliterate each other and the rest of the planet. neither country is stupid enough to directly engage the other and lets hope it stays that way for everyones sake.

Kinda, sorta, but there never will be a Cold War like the last one because the bottom line is both China and Russia are capitalistic societies, and ultimately a "war" with the United States/Europe who happen to be the no.1 consumer of Chinese goods and Russian oil is not good for either China or Russia either.

As much of a tough guy image as Putin or the Chinese leadership put on, you can bet your ass that the rich elite in China and Russia will not back any type of "Cold War" that hurts business because they're all insulated by wealthy elites and they would hear about it after a while. Neither are going back to closed off communist economies any time soon either.

So in a way it's all just posturing. Beyond that I don't think the US wants any part of a real Cold War either, the last one while good for the US in some ways also brought the entire US Eastern seaboard to the brink of nuclear destruction. That's not a war ... that's insanity.

So really all three potential parties needed for a "real" Cold War don't really have much of an incentive to really have one. Sure they may not be best buds and yes they are engaged in some proxy conflicts to piss the other off, but a full blown Cold War really can't happen. Not unless Russia and China renounce a global capitalisitc economy, which will never happen because Putin/Chinese leaders would lose their support in their countries that keep them in power. 

tiffac said:

Besides China doesn't seem to need Russia anyway. They pretty much can do anything they want here in Asia. They have already taken the South China Sea for their own by building man made military islands and violating international law in process.

China has a great amount influence in Asia but I highly doubt they'd want to face sanctions from the US or similar western countries ...

Just take a look at how (not) well Russia is doing ...

No
this is a war against terrorism not countries, the fall of the russian plane as probably accidental,

Around the Network
tiffac said:

China has a great amount influence in Asia but I highly doubt they'd want to face sanctions from the US or similar western countries ...

Just take a look at how (not) well Russia is doing ...

I don't think the US can afford to sanction China. They move almost all of their industry to China and China is paying for the US debt, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, China has already built man made islands in the South China Sea, destroying the environment in the process and stole/annexed the territorial waters from US allies and America did nothing.

China is big and I fear the world is underestimating its growing power and influence. China is getting too much of a free pass from the world.

It will be the third world war

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

tiffac said:

I don't think the US can afford to sanction China. They move almost all of their industry to China and China is paying for the US debt, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, China has already built man made islands in the South China Sea, destroying the environment in the process and stole/annexed the territorial waters from US allies and America did nothing.

China is big and I fear the world is underestimating its growing power and influence. China is getting too much of a free pass from the world.

Yes they can! The biggest trading partner to the US goes to Canada, not China. While the US is the biggest importer of chinese products and services, they only amount to a total of 20% of the imports. China cannot simply afford to keep pissing off it's neighbors or NATO members otherwise they risk facing a bloody civil war with it's citizens ...

@Bold Would you care to elaborate ? Just because the US has good relations with China's neighbors in Asia does not mean that the US will help secure his allies desired territory. AFAICT, before WWII it was Japan that occupied the South China Sea but since they lost they were forced to give up conquered territories and it just so happens that China was conveniently the first to claim it after WWII had ended. Before it's invasion by Japan, China was involved in ALL of the Sea's conflicts and claimed it as theirs for the longest time so if anything their only taking back what's rightfully theirs and should be theirs only ...

China is big but I doubt they would want to face sanctions from it's biggest partners ... 

Yes they can! The biggest trading partner to the US goes to Canada, not China. While the US is the biggest importer of chinese products and services, they only amount to a total of 20% of the imports. China cannot simply afford to keep pissing off it's neighbors or NATO members otherwise they risk facing a bloody civil war with it's citizens ...

@Bold Would you care to elaborate ? Just because the US has good relations with China's neighbors in Asia does not mean that the US will help secure his allies desired territory. AFAICT, before WWII it was Japan that occupied the South China Sea but since they lost they were forced to give up conquered territories and it just so happens that China was conveniently the first to claim it after WWII had ended. Before it's invasion by Japan, China was involved in ALL of the Sea's conflicts and claimed it as theirs for the longest time so if anything their only taking back what's rightfully theirs and should be theirs only ...

China is big but I doubt they would want to face sanctions from it's biggest partners ... 

Well the US ain't doing anything right now and there won't be a civil war in China since the majority of the people there love their Government blindly even when they are breaking human rights or international law.

Now for the bolded part. Each country under the UNCLOS agreement has a 200 nautical miles exclusive economic zone. A soveriegn right of every country. 

Sadly, China broke that law by building man made islands inside the Philippines exclusive economic zone. Vietnam and Malaysia is also having similar issues if I'm not mistaken. There is currently an arbitration in the UN about the so-called claim by China which China is not taking part in because they know their claims would be chewed up and shredded.

Edit: Wiki Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_v._China

This is what China is claiming.

If that is legal then we may just disolve the United Nations altogether.

tiffac said:

Well the US ain't doing anything right now and there won't be a civil war in China since the majority of the people there love their Government blindly even when they are breaking human rights or international law.

Now for the bolded part. Each country under the UNCLOS agreement has a 200 nautical miles exclusive economic zone. A soveriegn right of every country. 

Sadly, China broke that law by building man made islands inside the Philippines exclusive economic zone. Vietnam and Malaysia is also having similar issues if I'm not mistaken. There is currently an arbitration in the UN about the so-called claim by China which China is not taking part in because they know their claims would be chewed up and shredded.

Edit: Wiki Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_v._China

This is what China is claiming.

If that is legal then we may just disolve the United Nations altogether.

The chinese care about $, not their government. There's more than enough powerful citizens to throw a coup d'etat ...

If China really is making man made Islands on their neighbors territories then why not just blow them to smithereens ? Afterall what do they have to lose since it is within their right to do so ? 

The original Paracel Islands and Spratlys still belong to China though ...