By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 localization to avoid possible "treatment of women" backlash

SpokenTruth said:
Lawlight said:
SpokenTruth said:

Actually, it didn't.  Look at the western sales of the series and you tell me if it's worth the trouble of localizing when sales would be poor to start but must also now consider the social climate of the regions.

Their decision to not localize the game makes sense.  They'd likely lose money and have to deal with the negative press.  All that was pretty obvious.

But given the sales of the series, apparently most people agree with my assertion that free Google is better than $60 volley ball booby physics.

The game is already releasing in English so what localisation? And digital release won't cost them a thing so the only money they're losing here is from sales.

Am I to assume you believe that localization only involves language translation?

Yes, what else is there to localisation?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Lawlight said:
SpokenTruth said:

Am I to assume you believe that localization only involves language translation?

Yes, what else is there to localisation?

Copy and paste from another post a few minutes ago.

SpokenTruth said:

It goes even further than that too.  Because you need to pass lot checks for each major region (which can be expensive and time consuming) and pay/pass any required ratings boards.  

Any marketing and promotional activity is also going to be costly and needs time to prepare if it wasn't planned from the beginning. 

A digital release also requires them to work with Sony on getting it on the western PSN stores.  People don't realize that takes mroe than just the flick of a switch.

And of course this says nothing of a retail version.

You don't have to spend a dime on marketing and promotional activity. There was never going to be any ads for this game. That's not part of localisation but part of marketing, which is optional for digital releases.

Certifications for PSN might be time consuming but certainly not expensive. 

The majority of the expenses come from the translation and programming and some from QA, all of which have been done.

With an English version, you could release it in the US, AU, UK, IE.

binary solo said:
theDX said:
binary solo said:
Lawlight said:

That is not the point, dude. I wouldn't play this game but that doesn't mean I want it basically banned in the West just because some people don't like what the game is about.

Hyperbole, thy name is Lawlight. This game isn't even close to being banned in the west. Indeed as far as I know there has been no negative media in the west about this game, so there isn't even any active opposition to the game being releeased from the peopel you like to demonise as ruining gaming. The only media there has been is the decision KT has taken not to release it allegedly because they are afraid their might be negative publicity from some people. That's given the game far more attention in western media than any official release and marketing campaign would.

The social justice concensus has already been established:

https://archive.is/Y7yjG

And yet, not a single comment from people who bothered to read this is supporting the point of view of ther article. If KT read this article and the comments they would feel encouraged to localise the game because the voice of the gamers appears to support the release of this game. The thought of negative press which has no actual influence of the commercial viability of a product has never stopped a company from pursuing a profitable venture. All the SJW ranting in the world would not negatively affect sales, therefore SJW backlash has nothing to do with the decision not to officially release in the west. Am I saying KT is lying about the reason for not localising? Yes I am. They are spinning a line and y'all are falling for it.

So, you're going to ignore all the backlash that other games have received?

I am so gonna play this with Morpheus. I don't even care if it's released here or not, I'll just get an imported version. And yes, I like boobies. Sue me.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

That's a shame. I'm sure many people would have enjoyed this a lot. I can see why they would hold back on this game though, and their reason seems to be a noble one. I think it would have been fine to release this anyways.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I don't think Tecmo was planning on porting the game due to being a tiny niche product, but announcing this as such isn't going to win them any fans; not from the parties they are trying to appease (they still make the product, it's just not available in more markets) and certainly not from that tiny niche of gamers who would have bought this game.

It's not going to stop anyone from buying the game anyway, it just means having to pay more and go through the trouble of importing it making it a bit of a lose/lose situation for everyone.

The business reality is that there simply wasn't enough demand to justify a port. So... anyone who wanted this should have complained louder then rather than now.

Augen said:
I have to ask why they care. Is there a feeling that this "backlash" on the third entry in a series will be so severe as to damage the company and sales? Or is it they feel so uncomfortable as to deal with "heat" from these groups?

If it is the former then I don't see it as none of these people were going to buy it and the audience is there.

If it is the latter then a real shame to see it happen. I really don't get a society that is fine with murder on mass scale, but finds sex or the human form so disgusting as to be offended by it.

I am really disappointed in Tecmo-Koei as someone who has bought dozens of titles from them this is a dark day to cave to the demands of groups like these.

I don't really think it's a matter of sex and the human body being disgusting. It's more of just being more respectful of women. This game could be seen as just objectifying women, since the appeal would likely be just to view women in bikinis, and some women may not like that, and I think that's fair.

But I also think some people are just too sensitive as well. There should have been no problem releasing this game anyways. Viewing women, and men as well, in a sexual way is also just natural.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Good news, everybody! The game may not come to the west, but there will be a multi-language version with english in it. =)

http://www.play-asia.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-fortune-multi-language/13/709dv7

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

How sad when people that don't like or play games manage to steal something from gamers. I am ver sad that Tecmo reached this decision, but i can understand why. Then people demonise movements like gamer gate when its gamers simply wanting to keep beeing gamers.

I still have difficulty understanding all this over pixels and polygons. Its funny where at some point some people lose perspective.

Oh, boy. I was really looking foward to fappi.. I mean to playing this game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---