By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why was Gran Turismo popular?

m0ney said:

I am playing this series for the first time (Gran Turismo 5) and confused - the opponents are like drones, they offer no challenge at all! Was it like that in the previous games too? All you need to win is to have a more powerful car than the drones. I have played it for a few hours now, it has it's pros and cons, but the racing itself simply isn't fun.

If you only enter races where you have a more powerful car then this game is probably not for you.

Personally, I like it because it's fun.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
MikeRox said:

I didn't say it had "no good racing games" I said it was a joke for them. Compared with the PlayStation and even the Saturn, the N64 racing game lineup was awful.

I loved Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing (but these are Kart racers which is a sub genre), Ridge Racer 64 and enjoyed Top Gear Rally, but off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything else worth bothering with on the N64 as far as racing games went. There was a reason when Burnout released on the GameCube, the Nintendo magazines went crazy for the fact that there was finally a good racer on a Nintendo system.

Oh I suppose there was also Wave Race, but again, not the sort of racing game we're referring to when talking about Gran Turismo.

I still disagree, unless you only mean realistic simulation racers which you did not say.  Still Top Gear Rally 1 and 2, Ridge Racer, and F1 world championship 1 and 2 were all great games at the time in that category.  If you expand into futuristic or arcade type racers the N64 comes out pretty good.

F-Zero X, yes I did forget that one. Still a really weak lineup compared with the competition.

No I didn't mean realistic simulation racers. I meant racing games (my favourite genre since the 80s). Believe me, the N64 had a reputation for how awful it's racing games were in comparison to the competition.

Remember, the PS1 had 4 Ridge Racer games, Need for Speed games, 3 WipeOut games, 2 Gran Turismo's, theColin McRae games, Total Drivin', Crash Team Racing, Motorhead, Micro Machines V3, Driver, V-Rally, Moto Racer, TOCA games, Rollcage, Destruction Derby etc. 

Wow, this really is highlighting just how woeful the N64 offerings were...

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Me and my friends liked the fact that we could drive the cars that we actually owned. As far as being fun, Sega Rally was where it was at for me.

Playing it now, it is pretty boring.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Fuck if I know. I think the entire GT series is trash and that extends to Forza/Need for Speed (the Sim ones).

But I'm not into cars like some people so i probably just don't get it.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

In 1998, there was no other game like it. The graphics were incredible on the ps1 at the time. Then once ps2 hit, the hype and excitement went through the roof over the new tracks and graphics for that console.

But after PS3, the series took a slight hit in quality and never quite lived up to the ps1/ps2 games imo. Hopefully the series gets back on track on ps4.

Personally GT3 is still my favorite gt.

Around the Network

Because some people like collecting and driving cars.

The first two were more challenging (especially the first one) because you couldn't buy horsepower upgrades for race cars, so you didn't have a big car advantage in the last races. Then GT3 happened...

I like playing driving games while listening to podcasts. Putting your undivided attention in a racing sim is boring.

I understand why people enjoy games like GT and Forza. But I dont think anybody can explain why GT was/is so successful.

The appeal of a competitive action game makes more sense to me.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

MikeRox said:

F-Zero X, yes I did forget that one. Still a really weak lineup compared with the competition.

No I didn't mean realistic simulation racers. I meant racing games (my favourite genre since the 80s). Believe me, the N64 had a reputation for how awful it's racing games were in comparison to the competition.

Remember, the PS1 had 4 Ridge Racer games, Need for Speed games, 3 WipeOut games, 2 Gran Turismo's, theColin McRae games, Total Drivin', Crash Team Racing, Motorhead, Micro Machines V3, Driver, V-Rally, Moto Racer, TOCA games, Rollcage, Destruction Derby etc. 

Wow, this really is highlighting just how woeful the N64 offerings were...

Bettle Adventure Racing alone was way better than any arcade/fantasy racing game on PS1. PS1 is only better in sims, all thanks to GT.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

The first one was awesome for its time; the arcade mode alone was about as good as most other games at the time, and then there was the main sim game. The series earned its rep with the first few installments. I personally haven't touched them since GT3, as racing games generally don't hold my attention these days.

It is a great game?!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]