By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why was Gran Turismo popular?

Skylines bra

Around the Network
Insidb said:
Trunkin said:

Lol, its just that in my experience racing sims don't give you the immediate sense of speed and satisfaction that more casual, arcade racers do. I find them leas approachable. If someone is looking to play a racing game I would expect them to pick something like NFS or Ridge racer over GT and Forza.

Then again, I don't know NASCAR fans.

Get to know them then: go to a Trump rally.

LoL I think I'd honestly rather watch golf.

Trunkin said:
Insidb said:

Get to know them then: go to a Trump rally.

LoL I think I'd honestly rather watch golf.

Good choice lol.

Zod95 said:
rolltide101x said:

Because it is the best racing simulator ever created? I have played the vast majority of racing games out there and nothing comes close to GT. I also wager you have not beat GT at the higher levels if you think having a better car is all you need

Far from true. There are plenty of other games that simulate racing much better. Road cars with unrealistic handling racing in made-up tracks on made-up championships with made-up rules on a made-up career with made-up money is not that simulating.

LOL if you honestly believe that idk what to tell you. GT is THE racing simulation game

because it had the most cars, best graphics, a funny driving licence application etc.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
Zod95 said:
rolltide101x said:

Because it is the best racing simulator ever created? I have played the vast majority of racing games out there and nothing comes close to GT. I also wager you have not beat GT at the higher levels if you think having a better car is all you need

Far from true. There are plenty of other games that simulate racing much better. Road cars with unrealistic handling racing in made-up tracks on made-up championships with made-up rules on a made-up career with made-up money is not that simulating.

LOL if you honestly believe that idk what to tell you. GT is THE racing simulation game

I do. Tell me arguments. Simply saying that you don't know what to tell me shows that you have nothing to tell at all.

You like GT, that's ok, but it doesn't make it the greatest racing simulator.

Personally, I like Midnight Club. If I don't need to present any argument, I guess I could get away with saying it's THE racing simulation game.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Zod95 said:
rolltide101x said:
Zod95 said:

I do. Tell me arguments. Simply saying that you don't know what to tell me shows that you have nothing to tell at all.

Personally, I like Midnight Club. If I don't need to present any argument, I guess I could get away with saying it's THE racing simulation game.

Midnight Club is not a racing simulator by any stretch of the imagination.......... Like I said GT is THE racing simulator

"Gran Turismo games are intended to emulate the appearance and performance of a large selection of vehicles, nearly all of which are licensed reproductions of real-world automobiles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_%28series%29

In that regard nothing else is in the ball park of GT. If a racing simulator is not your thing that is fine, but do not confuse an arcade racer with a racing simulator.

Because cars are popular, and GT has lots of them. Also, great graphics, a huge amount of content and a very good simulator

Add good marketing to that and you have Gran Turismo

rolltide101x said:
Zod95 said:

Midnight Club is not a racing simulator by any stretch of the imagination.......... Like I said GT is THE racing simulator

"Gran Turismo games are intended to emulate the appearance and performance of a large selection of vehicles, nearly all of which are licensed reproductions of real-world automobiles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_%28series%29

In that regard nothing else is in the ball park of GT. If a racing simulator is not your thing that is fine, but do not confuse an arcade racer with a racing simulator.

Where does it say, in that wikipedia sentence or even the whole page, that GT is THE racing simulator? It doesn't even say that GT is a racing simulator at all. So far you have zero arguments to back up your claim.

As for Midnight Club:

"Midnight Club is a series of racing video games...focusing on competitive street racing in open world urban environments. Throughout the series, players race through New York City, London, Los Angeles, Paris, Tokyo, San Diego, Atlanta, and Detroit."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Club

I don't know which one needs the biggest stretch of immagination to be considered a racing simulator: the one focusing on street racing or the one "intended" (by the way, I'm intended to rule the world, so far I haven't been successful) to emulate vehicles.

Anyway, one thing I can assure you: both are not focused on real motorsport cars racing on real race tracks and real championships with real rules.

Other games are. Games like GTR, TOCA, rFactor, Life For Speed, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, etc. But if a racing simulator is not your thing that is fine, just do not confuse a car-RPG with made-up content and rules with real racing simulators.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

BraLoD said:
think-man said:
Skylines bra

Called me?

xD no but you're here now  😘