By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resistance 2 - Nearly 50GB Big!

KBG29 said:
Were are all of the insulting comments about how they are crappy devs, and they just ned to do more comperssion? This is good news. With time all PS3 Exclusive titles will start pushing the limits of the 50GB disc. I worte a piece about how Blu-ray was the most important thing for games this generation when I first joined this site, and with every generation of games within the PS3's life it will become more and more obvious.

Games like Uncharted, and Ratchet last year already showed the differance Blu-ray makes over what the 360 can do (albet) not without the aide of the oft downplayed Cell Processor. The ability to put so much more on the disc makes each level feel unique and alive. This factor will eventually force third parties to get the act together and utilize Blu-ray, and scale games back for DVD and 360 or be left out of the sales pie on the PS3.

good theory, but the most important feature to making games is always the cpu and graphics card.

if the developers cant produce anything great from the hardware, then all that data on the disc is useless. but still having the blu-ray disc is a bonus and if developers uses uncompressed video and audio files, of course the quality would be better.

eg: mgs4 is uncompressed and has taken 50gb. but if the a/v files wern't uncompressed, mgs4 would fit on dual layer dvd.

Around the Network

I don't think you can compare CoD4 to RFoM1/RFoM2, CoD4 is a small game, while RFoM1 was a big game and RFoM2 will be alot bigger then RFoM1.

Have there been any "Insomniac are just being lazy programmers" posts here? Cause we all know that that's all the rage when it comes to MGS4 being 50GB

ohrickyboy said:
KBG29 said:
Were are all of the insulting comments about how they are crappy devs, and they just ned to do more comperssion? This is good news. With time all PS3 Exclusive titles will start pushing the limits of the 50GB disc. I worte a piece about how Blu-ray was the most important thing for games this generation when I first joined this site, and with every generation of games within the PS3's life it will become more and more obvious.

Games like Uncharted, and Ratchet last year already showed the differance Blu-ray makes over what the 360 can do (albet) not without the aide of the oft downplayed Cell Processor. The ability to put so much more on the disc makes each level feel unique and alive. This factor will eventually force third parties to get the act together and utilize Blu-ray, and scale games back for DVD and 360 or be left out of the sales pie on the PS3.

good theory, but the most important feature to making games is always the cpu and graphics card.

if the developers cant produce anything great from the hardware, then all that data on the disc is useless. but still having the blu-ray disc is a bonus and if developers uses uncompressed video and audio files, of course the quality would be better.

eg: mgs4 is uncompressed and has taken 50gb. but if the a/v files wern't uncompressed, mgs4 would fit on dual layer dvd.

Even compressed, we're talking 2 or 3 dual-layer DVDs. Yes, there's that much talking in MGS games.

Umm, I think most people are forgetting that alot of delevopers use the extra space to increase load times by spanning the data into to Bluray disk multiple times. Otherwise, the BluRay laser's slow read time makes it difficult to stream the data right off disk efficiently. That's probably why some developers are even hitting 50gb in the first place (along with some uncompressed audio). Either why, more disk space used is typically a good thing, especially if it speeds up load times.

Around the Network

i understend when people want to compare ssbb with mgs, or something like that, but we cant compare 2 fps neither??

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

bwahahaha!!!

bwahahaha!!!

lol @ Shura
You're saying CoD4 is the better shooter compared to Resistance 2 (I know it's not released yet, but you favored CoD4 quite a bit), even though it didn't have materiel enough to need a blu-ray disc. What I am pointing out isn't that Resistance 2 is gonna be a better game because it takes up 50 GB of space, but that you think it couldn't be a better game because Insomniac has the opportunity to add more content.
Insomniac said there will be "the standard single-player campaign", meaning they'll follow their standards, and so a qualified guess would be that it is about as long as R:FoM. Besides that we have a 8-player coop campaign which is seperat from the singleplayer campaign, but follows the timeline of the SP, so another qualified guess would that they are about the same length.

IF that had been CoD4 it might just have the best game of all time, but it isn't because Infinity Ward could not have added this content due to a lack of space

"More space doesn't mean more quality"
But when you have qualified developers to develop, it can be expected ;)