By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Can Benefit More From Backwards Compatibility Than Xbox One

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The PS library is superior by leaps and bounds. Boundless treasured exclusives compared to Microsoft. Problem is Sony never had foresight in how to digitally transfer the games like Microsoft. Where Sony has the edge Microsoft loses, but where Microsoft has the edge Sony is inferior. They are using their cloud for a good cause.

Agreed. Plus, imo, Sony always has a broader range of great games to offer.

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
BC is always nice for the consumer, but the benefits to platform holders are slim at best.

Not neccessarily. Imagine an Xbox Two that plays every Xbox One game by default and also all the 'converted' Xbox 360 games. So you basically take over your complete library to the next console. Especially if you go all digital.

Right now you have to keep your PS2 (which is fully backwards compatible), PS3 and PS4 if you want to keep your games. So it doesn't really matter if you buy a neXtbox or PS5.

So full backwards compatiblity (which MS doesn't have right now) is one way to keep people bound to one platform, or better gaming service.

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The PS library is superior by leaps and bounds. Boundless treasured exclusives compared to Microsoft.

In your opinion, right?

I'd take Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, and other MS products over what Sony offers. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sony products but I think time has shown many of their products were over rated. I like Naughty Dog stuff and God of War, but the rest I can live without.

And if we're looking at 3rd party stuff as well. Preference for Playstation is high dependent on how much you care about JRPGs. A relatively niche genre these days.

Dude...Sony's third party exclusives alone over twenty years clobbers Microsofts offerings over the head. Did you grow up with Playstation and Nintendo like I did before Microsoft came? Even their first entrance was pitiful compared to Sony. Sony had a lionshare of the third party market and had second and third party to boot. I think you're forgetting things just because you want to. Microsoft did great with the 360 but the 360 is no PS1 or PS2 By any stretch of the imagination.

That didn't need to be said. The PS2's library alone is better than all generations of Xbox combined. Hell, even the PS1's. And I doubt that even 4, 10 or 20 generations would ever change that.

captain carot said:
Xenostar said:
BC is always nice for the consumer, but the benefits to platform holders are slim at best.

Not neccessarily. Imagine an Xbox Two that plays every Xbox One game by default and also all the 'converted' Xbox 360 games. So you basically take over your complete library to the next console. Especially if you go all digital.

Right now you have to keep your PS2 (which is fully backwards compatible), PS3 and PS4 if you want to keep your games. So it doesn't really matter if you buy a neXtbox or PS5.

So full backwards compatiblity (which MS doesn't have right now) is one way to keep people bound to one platform, or better gaming service.

i agree in the digital age BC is alot more appealing, but it has to be there at launch, 2 years in your pretty much done with the cross over period, barely enought time to play new games. 

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
They'll bring ps2 and Ps1 late in the gen, but why bring cheap old software when they're making mega bucks on new ones and covering costs and selling hardware.
BC is brought when sony needs it because of slowing sales or software deficiencies, and there isn't much of that going round. XB1 is hardly doing good outside of America, and even in America it's not doing as good as it could've done, so they need their 'down the road' ammunition now

Oh Sony fans, always concerned about profits. God forbid they do BC simply because fans want it.

Kinda the point of a business.......

rolltide101x said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
They'll bring ps2 and Ps1 late in the gen, but why bring cheap old software when they're making mega bucks on new ones and covering costs and selling hardware.
BC is brought when sony needs it because of slowing sales or software deficiencies, and there isn't much of that going round. XB1 is hardly doing good outside of America, and even in America it's not doing as good as it could've done, so they need their 'down the road' ammunition now

Oh Sony fans, always concerned about profits. God forbid they do BC simply because fans want it.

Kinda the point of a business.......

The people on forums generally are consumers, not running Sony. Hence, they will argue BC isnt a concern because money, not financially worth while, only done out of desperation, etc.

But I think BC is a great feature fans clearly want. And obviously demand is big for BC which is why PS1 and PS2 emulation is coming to PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

The people on forums generally are consumers, not running Sony. Hence, they will argue BC isnt a concern because money, not financially worth while, only done out of desperation, etc.

But I think BC is a great feature fans clearly want. And obviously demand is big for BC which is why PS1 and PS2 emulation is coming to PS4.

Just because we are not running Sony does not mean we can not say "that is a waste of Sony's money"

Eh, it does not say that at all. It just says Sony believes that in one way or another it will make a profit for them. Not many people care about PS2/1 BC. I am not against the PS4 being BC but I am so tired of people blowing it out of proportion.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The PS library is superior by leaps and bounds. Boundless treasured exclusives compared to Microsoft.

In your opinion, right?

I'd take Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, and other MS products over what Sony offers. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sony products but I think time has shown many of their products were over rated. I like Naughty Dog stuff and God of War, but the rest I can live without.

And if we're looking at 3rd party stuff as well. Preference for Playstation is high dependent on how much you care about JRPGs. A relatively niche genre these days.

Dude...Sony's third party exclusives alone over twenty years clobbers Microsofts offerings over the head. Did you grow up with Playstation and Nintendo like I did before Microsoft came? Even their first entrance was pitiful compared to Sony. Sony had a lionshare of the third party market and had second and third party to boot. I think you're forgetting things just because you want to. Microsoft did great with the 360 but the 360 is no PS1 or PS2 By any stretch of the imagination.

No, I grew up with a PS1, Saturn, and N64. PS1 was pretty rad for stuff ike JRPGs, fighting games, and other random titles. But alot of it isnt worth going back to or better versions exist.

360 is a better platform than PS1 and PS2 combined in most genres. For JRPGs, 360 is only decent.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

rolltide101x said:

Not many people care about PS2/1 BC. I am not against the PS4 being BC but I am so tired of people blowing it out of proportion.

Alright, PS1 and PS2 emulation isn't in the same demand as 360 emulation. But if Sony can get major PS1/PS2 games that weren't on PSN before, that could attract millions to use those emulators.

Frankly, Its PS3 emulation that people really want on PS4. Millions still play online games on PS3.

Recently Completed