By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - It’s About Time We Cut Microsoft Some Slack

Tagged games:

Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

WTF are you talking about? The only major exclusives launched in fourth quarter have been from Microsoft. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive for a year for Microsoft and Halo 5, Gears remastered and more have already dropped. Just because you're blind it doesn't mean the games dont exist. Sony's major exclusives this year outside of Bloodborne have been laughable at best.

Laughable games? Really?

Yes...and this is coming from Sony who enjoys Sony's first party output when they hit their stride. Again..I am talking about the major exclusives. Microsoft might not have been able to make all of the great games they got, but they acquired them either by good instinct or Sonys lack of foresight. Either way the first two years have been superior to Sony imho (when you separate hype from actual higher level games) , even with less games for me. Again...Sony has more games...but I said their major exclusives compared to Microsofts fourth quarter exclusives are laughable outside of Bloodborne. Blood borne was the game that set Sony apart this year and thats it. The order was a joke. I play everything from fighting games all the way to FPS and RPG's of all kinds and I got the higher quality in that variety on Microsofts system. Hell, Microsoft still has the top shooters and until Guitly Gear dropped for Sony they had the best exclusives fighter on the market. Dead Rising is extremely fun with a friend and Halo is just timeless. Microsoft also proved that they care more to invest in rebuilding some of their top remasters than Sony does, but then again...Sony even admitted they will be investing less in AAA than they did last gen. Perhaps now that they are winning they will reinvest.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

I only ever read anything about how bad the reveal was when I come across some haters on forums.

In "real life", nobody mentions anything about it, and enjoy the games it offers. My neighbour recently invited a friend over and he brought his XBox One with him, to play Smite. But he ended up showing the other games he had, all of them looking and running quite good I must say, and we discussed what each consoles do good and bad (I currently only have the Wii U and PS4). I ended up showing him The Witcher 3 on PS4, since he likes that kind of game, and he got hooked and will get it for his console.

That's usually the most close to a "console war" conversation I get these days. Discussions about what we think is good and what isn't, what was done really well, and what could be improved. What game kicks ass and why, or why a game isn't our cup of tea. In most cases, all of this is done with the idea that not everything is everyone else's cup of tea... 

I really enjoy when console and game discussions aren't tainted by nasty haters/downplayers or people being overly defensive whenever a comparison is made or when their favored company isn't depicted as some God-like entity. Something that's quite the rarity here on VGC.

Really enjoyed that line from the OP:

"Why? Because I’m not some blindly submissive super-fan having decided to conform to one platform and criticise anything and everything not pertaining to that given publicly-trading company."

That's what I go by as well.

The Witcher could be shown to him on either console. Show him something he cannot play on one or the other. What the PS4 is today is what the 360 was generation a generation earlier. The PS1 and PS2 were different though because they amassed popularity not by graphics differential but because of library diversity and size. The PS4 has both so rationally speaking they will more than likely outshow even the PS2 if all goes well.

Aeolus451 said:
MS tried to completely change gaming into a anti-consumer quagmire that probably would have destroyed the console gaming market later on. Just because they couldn't pull it off, doesn't change the fact that they "tried" to. So no, I sure as hell won't cut 'em any slack on it but others (mainly americans) already have. I'll be more open to the next MS console but we'll see.

Much like the PS3....its the losers who had power who fight to gain their power back. Microsoft is swinging for the fences with offerings. 

Honestly, from the beginning Xbox One was the best console imo. And it's just becoming more fully realized now.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aeolus451 said:
MS tried to completely change gaming into a anti-consumer quagmire that probably would have destroyed the console gaming market later on. Just because they couldn't pull it off, doesn't change the fact that they "tried" to. So no, I sure as hell won't cut 'em any slack on it but others (mainly americans) already have. I'll be more open to the next MS console but we'll see.

Much like the PS3....its the losers who had power who fight to gain their power back. Microsoft is swinging for the fences with offerings. 

If they are swining on the PS4 they will need more then the same rehash of Forza content each year and a 5 hour makes no story sense Halo campaign.   Next Gears better be best of the series cause Uncharted will swing like Holly holm to X1s Ronda.  

Iv been serverly dissapointed with the exclusives form both this gen, its been mostly 3rd parties carrying my gaming.  Differnce being xbox already fired their big guns while PS has all of their still locked and loarded readying to blast.  

Around the Network
Titanfalls said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If they are swining on the PS4 they will need more then the same rehash of Forza content each year and a 5 hour makes no story sense Halo campaign.   Next Gears better be best of the series cause Uncharted will swing like Holly holm to X1s Ronda.  

Iv been serverly dissapointed with the exclusives form both this gen, its been mostly 3rd parties carrying my gaming.  Differnce being xbox already fired their big guns while PS has all of their still locked and loarded readying to blast.  

Anyone with common sense knows that Sony appeals to the world. Even if they are losing they can use world sales to catch up to Microsoft. Microsoft does not have the British or American sales advantage. Microsoft cannot pull a Sony 180 in sales but they can in offerings. In terms of exclusives from gen to gen so far this has been Microsofts best showing of quality exclusives for sure. Microsoft has never had a better exclusive lineup than what they've been showing between 2015-2016. Again, Microsoft was never said to be a great developer. Sony is.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Titanfalls said:

Anyone with common sense knows that Sony appeals to the world. Even if they are losing they can use world sales to catch up to Microsoft. Microsoft does not have the British or American sales advantage. Microsoft cannot pull a Sony 180 in sales but they can in offerings. In terms of exclusives from gen to gen so far this has been Microsofts best showing of quality exclusives for sure. Microsoft has never had a better exclusive lineup than what they've been showing between 2015-2016. Again, Microsoft was never said to be a great developer. Sony is.

You overrate ms current offerings.  360 days felt more epic, x1 exclusives are boring same old same old to me to be honest.

When Geras hit and Mass Effect, those were something special and HAlo 3 and Bioshock.  360 was the place to game on,  MS has lacked that all this gen.  Nothing they have released till now on X1 can even sniff the greatness they had early last gen.

Plenty have said ms is a great developer many say they rival even Sony.  So please stop making it seem ms is the poor underdog that deserves brownie points for trying hard.   Signs also point to sony 2016 beating of anything MS has done with X1, their offerings if no delays wil bring in the best gaming year the 8th gen has seen.  

As i alluded to earlier X1 can be great but its not there yet.

And i dont cut slack to billion dollar corporate juggernauts.

Titanfalls said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Titanfalls said:

You overrate ms current offerings.  360 days felt more epic, x1 exclusives are boring same old same old to me to be honest.

When Geras hit and Mass Effect, those were something special and HAlo 3 and Bioshock.  360 was the place to game on,  MS has lacked that all this gen.  Nothing they have released till now on X1 can even sniff the greatness they had early last gen.

Plenty have said ms is a great developer many say they rival even Sony.  So please stop making it seem ms is the poor underdog that deserves brownie points for trying hard.   Signs also point to sony 2016 beating of anything MS has done with X1, their offerings if no delays wil bring in the best gaming year the 8th gen has seen.  

As i alluded to earlier X1 can be great but its not there yet.

And i dont cut slack to billion dollar corporate juggernauts.

The 360 era saw Microsoft scambling to beat Sony to the market, gaining some third party exclusives for being a year ahead and multiplat focused, but it gave you RROD because Microsoft knew they rushed the product. Microsoft didnt properly invest in their properties. Rares games still werent great. Killer Instinct by itself IMHO is of a higher quality than what Rare put out last gen. Microsoft didnt let Rare make that game.  Mass Effect was paid for to keep it away from Sony and Gears had an exclusivity deal. Microsoft ended up publishing everyone elses quality games and but today they are making these games first party. They were not interested in building up first party IP and this is why Phil Spencer is so great. He noticed what made Sony and Nintendo so great that the Xbox brand lacked even in the 360 era. 

MS is not a great developer, but they own great IP's. Theres a difference. Microsoft only two three great franchises Halo, Forza and Gears. Fable is lost (I mean come on...we can admit this already). They are following what Sony does which is focusing on amassing third party and building first party IP's internally and with third and second party as well as first party. Problem with Microsoft is they really suck at making new IP's so most of their good IP's are paid commissioned to outside devs. Its as simple as that. Sony does 1st, 2nd and 3rd party and they dont rest on one like Microsoft at a time. They are working on all fronts. This is just one of the reasons why Sony is naturally trusted more than Microsoft worldwide.

Well to be fair, I think this generation has not seen any game, nor exclusives or multiplats as amazing like the first ME and Bioshock.
Even if Xbone would have launched a year earlier than PS4 the situation wouldn't be the same. Anyway is not like that situation helped the 360 to take a lead like the PS4 have now.

MS is dead in Japan and will always be, and is the ugly sister in Europe, and will always be. Nothing that MS could have done could change that. I doubt even Sony with any mistake that could make can reverse that situation.

Tim and The Princes...

I think now in all the effort that MS put to gain Japan on his side the last generation, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Tim and The Princes...