By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX will be hard to find, because Nintendo made very limited numbers on purpose.

OmegaRed421 said:
It makes more business sense to produce as much as is demanded since most of their profit comes from extras people buy for the system. You sell as much as you can as you can...having shortages only hurts you in the long run. People can and will lose interest if the next best thing comes around while their waiting for you to stock back up. Plus...ever hear of a pre-order? I'll have mine day one.

It makes more business sense to produce as much as is demanded since most of their profit comes from extras people buy for the system.

How do you know the demand amount?  Who are the extra people, which demographic?  See, without clear numbers, how do you go buy on adressing how much to make?  If you overshoot, then you're out of money.  If you undershoot, you'll still be out of money, but in less.  If you make more next month and demand is still high, go ahead and make more of what's demanded.  Better to go monthly than go all out with no one wanting your system.  Limiting isn't so bad, now, is it?

You sell as much as you can as you can...having shortages only hurts you in the long run. People can and will lose interest if the next best thing comes around while their waiting for you to stock back up.

Certainly people will lose interest, but these are consoles.  My cousin's been wanting a ps4 since it came out, but he still hasn't decided to buy it.  He will, just time will tell, but the ones that buy now are the ones that count since they've limited their numbers.  There will always be something new, but with consoles, you're already buying into a nitch you care about.  It's like saying I'll either buy new shoes, or a new console.  You'll want that console eventually.  You can say maybe they'll be a PS5 in the next 3 years.  Oh, Please(sarcastically).  Too much money and too much effort for the PS5 within the next 3 years.  Who do you think sony are, Nintendo? 

Plus...ever hear of a pre-order? I'll have mine day one.

If you're Nintendo, would you look to pre-order and say, hmm, a 100,000+ wants our machines.  Therefore we should make 100,500.  There could be more people who want to buy it, but pre-order isn't as big so we'll use that as a gage.  See what I mean?  Good luck on day one, buddy. 

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
If NX fails, Nintendo will be out of the console business. A lot depends on the success of the new device, so Nintendo sure as hell will want to sell as many as possible.

Not out of the console business.  That's been said since the PS brand came out.  Why would you even...SMH. Don't be naive. 

Nintendo has a track record for not being able to explain outages.  It's been done before and they would do it again.  They did it with Wii, Amiibo, games like Pandora's tower, even making a game like Fatal Frame so damn hard to get to play because of 16gig file size and no physical copy.  Nintendo is the Vince McMohan of the Video game world.  And no one believes that Vince McMohan isn't so devious.

Of course they want to sell all they can.  But they can also control how much they sell during certain durations.  Plus, this is suppose to be the Premium of Nintendo's consoles.  NX isn't replacing Wii U, just the premium version that encompasses the whole gaming platform.  Like I said, amiibo.  How hard is it to get an ugly marth figurine to the market?  I'm serious, how long?  If this was Sony or microsoft, they would be out the door in less than a month and in your living room. 

Ouroboros24 said:
Ljink96 said:
You've got time to blow huh? Nintendo isn't that dumb. They can be dumb, SOMETIMES, but they're not that stupid. Sometimes they underestimate demand. With Amiibo, I would have done the same thing but maybe in a test market first to see if the demand was going to be as high as it is now. Don't think this will happen with NX.

While I thank you for your naysay, I would have liked it better if you had given proper reason for your nay, eh.  I mean, dumb as an answer can only cover everything.

I COULD go into depth as to why Nintendo wouldn't do this but it really isn't worth it on my part My main reason was the idea of supply and demand that they've hopefully learned with Amiibo.

The only think they learned from Amiibo is how to create artificial demand. Had they not had shortages, I doubt amiibos would be as successful as they are now. They would still have sold a lot, but not anywhere near as many as they have so far. Most people don't realize just how much they're influenced by advertisements or what other people think. There have been several studies which prove otherwise.

So, I have to say, OP, I agree with you. It's a clever strategy and if they're smart they're gonna follow it.

OdinHades said:
If NX fails, Nintendo will be out of the console business. A lot depends on the success of the new device, so Nintendo sure as hell will want to sell as many as possible.

All they have to do is make a profit and we'll see them stay in the business of making consoles. They really don't have to a huge amount of consoles for that to happen unless they release something that can make you toast in the morning or solves world peace.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
OdinHades said:

All they have to do is make a profit and we'll see them stay in the business of making consoles. They really don't have to a huge amount of consoles for that to happen unless they release something that can make you toast in the morning or solves world peace.

Of course they just need to make profits, that's what I meant with failing. NX fails if it doesn't generate profits. If that happens, I'm sure Nintendo won't take another try. They are already testing the waters in other business areas. Nintendo won't die altogether or anything, but we will see a shift in their businesses if NX can't succeed. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Of course they just need to make profits, that's what I meant with failing. NX fails if it doesn't generate profits. If that happens, I'm sure Nintendo won't take another try. They are already testing the waters in other business areas. Nintendo won't die altogether or anything, but we will see a shift in their businesses if NX can't succeed. 

Don't you think it will at least turn a profit? It's hard to imagine it NOT being profitable imo.

Glad to see you on these forums, Miyamoto-san! Welcome! o/

No? Just the millionth prediction thread about NX, with still no idea of what it's gonna be? I hope someone is keeping a list of all these predictions, could be an awesome read when they finally release this console. Even the PS4 and the One combined didn't have as much random threads...

Are we seriously at the point where we think the NX will be a limited edition console, "hard to find" constantly? The Ouya is hard to find too...