By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Videos games SHOULD NOT be difficult... (It hurts the Video Game)

From Software is the only one who could get away this since its pretty much their thing.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
From Software is the only one who could get away this since its pretty much their thing.

Not really. Atlus does love difficulty in their games, too. :3

Wright said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I'm still trying to beat that boss with the giant gears on his head in Persona 4 Golden...

PieToast said:
Nem said:
binary solo said:

Why? Challenging is not the only thing a video game can aspire to be, and these days may no longer even be the main thing. There is a much broader range of experience that can be had from video games than when they first appeared. If a video game aspires to someting other than a gameplay challenge then gameplay challenge may detract from the main purpose of the game. A video game should aspire to be an enjoyable experience for people who are interested in whatever the game is trying to do. Whether that's challenging gameplay or immersive experience or something else doesn't matter. The size of the audience you attract for a video game will be largely determined by what elements the developer focusses on as the main source of enjoyment. 

I think it's a really bad idea to suggest any sort of formula or standard method for how a game should or shouldn't be challenging. some people want a really tough experience, others want a largely stress free time with their games. All preferences should be catered to.

Why is immersive something that exists without gameplay? Sounds like a movie to me.

Are you talking about those games that you just traverse and see what happens? I dont know. I am hard pressed to classify them as games when gameplay isnt the focus.

You want to give an example? I'm not sure what you mean.

An example? The so called "Walking simulators" which should have been called something better, but whatever. 

Some games entertain teh idea that some form of interactivity in better than non. These types of games don't have combat. One could say that they don't challenge the player's dexterity like traditional games. Though they still have exploration so you may consider that as some form of challenge. 

I agree with Trunkin. They should be called interactive movies.

I mean... really, its in the word. A game is something focused on gameplay.

Mystro-Sama said:
Wright said:

I'm still trying to beat that boss with the giant gears on his head in Persona 4 Golden...

Try doing the X missions in Trauma Center next. Or playing Catherine in anything but "Very Easy" mode. Or just playing Soul Hackers.

These dudes have like zero respect for newbies in their games. They go the extra mile to make everything hard by default. xD

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Well, the OP does have a point weather or not it's intended as satire. Games should be customisable to actor to the way you want to play the game you spend 75 euro on. For example, there are a lot of people out there who buy fallout just to go into god mode and ignore the combat altogether and that's alright because they paid for the game. For me, I want to get everything as high as I can, difficulty wise, I prefer a challah and I like going for hard platinum trophies and that's how I like to play. I totally get why someone would want God mode for big open world games, not everyone has the patience or the time to complete a game like the witcher 3 or Fallout 4.

The game that has made me a believer in opening all content from the start was Project cars which is insanely customisible and how games should be imo. I read that Black ops 3 is doing something similar and I hope this trend continues.
Although, I don't know why anyone would want an easier time on linear games because that would cut out much of the rewarding nature.
Play the way you want and fuck everyone else if they tell you it's "the wrong way" to play. It's a fucking game.

A games difficulty is primarily intent on the developer. These days it seems like the publisher to who prompts the developer to add more difficulty to broaden the market. Today easy is considered casual which is explained as pretty much just the storytelling mode with little difficulty. To truly feel the game you must engage in competition. Games are primarily designed to challege the mind. If you dont want to be challenged, enjoy games showcasing experience rather than games. I recommend Heavy Rain for the OP.

"Stress can KILL you.
Having too much stress in your day can lead to heart attacks, strokes and other boy problems."

I'm guessing you meant 'big' there, but that would be kind of funny if it were true for everybody. :D

No, how you handle stress can kill you. Actually, being depressed is far worse as you're more likely to commit suicide or at the very least stop caring about everything around you along with getting heart problems. Depression can raise blood pressure too. Having a challenge or something to look forward to helps with that.

The funny thing is I agree with a lot of your sentiments regarding games. I'm not a fan of COD (had to put that in there for obvious trend related reasons) but I do prefer easier games: FF7-10, Chrono Cross, KH2 and other easier but incredible games. I just wish the games that I fell in love with would return to this. Despite what people may say about FFXIII, it was still a pretty damn hard game second half. You had to constantly gauge the best paradigm set up for some of those bosses, and it just got frustrating as hell at a certain point. The bosses had too much HP too.

I'd say that Nintendo has had the right idea of what Normal difficulty is. Twilight princess, LTTP, OoT, SMG and ALBW are all games that have difficulty done correctly in my opinion. They're not really a challenge in the sense if you're familiar with those games, but even still they are definitely not hard games.

I was considering buying Bloodborne and it does still look tempting, but I have to remind myself that I only started to enjoy Dark Souls AFTER I beat the game and knew what to do and where everything was. Before that, I was going through the motions and giving myself unnecessary pain. Some of it was worth it, but I'm not willing to go through all that again. I'm getting too old for that kind of thing anyways.

Buy what games are necessary for you to enjoy video games, but try to branch out to challenges when you can. Just not ones that are overwhelming, otherwise you're going to get burnt out. That might be why you hate hard games if I had to guess.

Lube Me Up

John2290 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

A games difficulty is primarily intent on the developer. Games are primarily designed to challege the mind. If you dont want to be challenged, enjoy games showcasing experience rather than games. I recommend Heavy Rain for the OP.

And I agree, the challange should be there along with many higher challenges like very hard difficulties and achievements/trophies. However there should be a setting or command for god mode and access to all content. 

If you someone can't hold back and NOT resist putting the game on god mode...well, why play if not for a challenge, eh? 

I can play Project CARS with the easiest setting, turn down the AI to zero, turn on clear weather and all that but I don't.  I adjust it so that I get a challenge but not overly so, just enough to keep me ony toes and keep learning. 

There is no difference, just that fact that the option is opened to you. Are you so powerless to your own endo, reward system that you have to lower the difficulty when the option is there? What's the difference between playing on easy and playing on god mode anyway? Most games these days is very close to god mode. 

True. I guess its the time I grew up. Today people have it easy. Back when I was growing up easy was todays medium, and medium was todays hard. Most games were made by the Japanese and punished the shit out of you. I've noticed that since western devs have come up the challenge has actually dropped some unless you're playing multiplayer where you're already (hopefully) facing a smart opponent. I do realize that there are some who play videogames with the same enthusiasm as some read a good book (without the ability to form story from your own imagination). Problem with that is if its always on easy they will never get better. When games like Dark Souls come out they will always complain because they can never say, "hey I experienced this". There should be choices but most play on normal and when the game truly gets tough some just flounder. The truly tough of the gamers will always be the minority. Its a sad but true thing in almost all aspects of anything human beings do. You can buy DLC instead of earning it now, you can buy cosmetics instead of earning it and reviewers lose credentials on IGN by getting caught playing games on easy. I grew up with the SNES and the Genesis. The 90's brought about some truly outrageous games.

"is this level too hard for you? Well, now we've made it way too easy! I mean, it's not as if we've spent hours into every detail of the whole game, trying out best to not make it too repetitive. Now, we're going to make it where you CANT die. Have fun always winning!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I'm with you, OP ...

I f#cking resent games that keep trying to test your patience. I especially hate the idea of how higher difficulty = debuffing player/upping enemy stats. Needlessly big and long games annoy me as it is but along doing any of the aforementioned will piss me off ...

These are the reasons why I will continue completing the majority of my games on easy when given an option ...