By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which generation of console gaming was the biggest leap forward?

Which generation displayed the greatest advancement?

Gen 1 - Gen 2 5 1.09%

Gen 2 - Gen 3 17 3.70%

Gen 3 - Gen 4 13 2.83%

Gen 4 - Gen 5 220 47.83%

Gen 5 - Gen 6 99 21.52%

Gen 6 - Gen 7 91 19.78%

Gen 7 - Gen 8 15 3.26%

Total:460

4-5 for sure, although I'd say the interesting question is which was the biggest leap aside from that one?

For me, after 4-5 it's between:

2-3, mostly because of Nintendo basically saving the industry at that point and pushing game design forward in such huge ways, or

6-7 - not the biggest step up from a technical standpoint, but certainly a period that saw some massive change in game design (motion control, touch-based input, the rise of mobile gaming, the rise of indie games, online gaming approaching mainstream popularity).

Around the Network

It's hard to tell, but I'm between the leap from gen 4 to gen 5 or the leap from gen 5 to gen 6.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

the_dark_lewd said:
Ljink96 said:
Man, those 64 bits did it. 2D to real 3D, it's the only answer. Super Mario 64 ushered in that era like a boss.

The 64-bit thing was a marketing gimmick. It meant almost nothing and certainly had no connection to the quality of the graphics.

Well aware of this. I'm the kinda guy who took a History of Gaming class in College.

I would go with 5 - 6 just because how big Ps2 was and everything the it brought with it... + it wasn't a bad DVD payer either.

Gen 5, hardware accelerated 3D is the biggest jump, everything before that was just improvements upon 2D, everything since has just been improvements upon 3D.

Around the Network

The 5th gen was hands down the biggest single jump! There's really no contest

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Definitely 5th gen by a country mile.

I'm going to assume 9th gen will hopefully be a lot different than 8th in which we see a much bigger leap along with VR being the norm across 2-3 platforms instead of just one, that and some AR and all 3 being neck and neck instead of 1. (bad competition when there is just 1).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

This one was tough, but I said 5 to 6. Sure there was some 3D earlier, but non that was all that smooth or great. At 6th one could really see the potential to realistic 3D games like we have today (and going forward.) But 6-7 was another big one. I think 7-8 will just keep getting better.

1 through 4 seemed kind of meh. Yea, things got better, but it wasn't the revolution the hype was.

While it had been tried before, the 7th gave us movement that worked, which was a big deal.

So would Pong and Super Pong be gen 1?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I do not know, I gamed on PC till 2012.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Chazore said:
Definitely 5th gen by a country mile.

I'm going to assume 9th gen will hopefully be a lot different than 8th in which we see a much bigger leap along with VR being the norm across 2-3 platforms instead of just one, that and some AR and all 3 being neck and neck instead of 1. (bad competition when there is just 1).

I think the 9th gen will be like the 6th gen. Right now in gen 8, PS4 is basically taking the place of the PS1 and the N64, ushering in the next era of gaming. We will have some games that stand the test of time, and some games that are amazing at launch, but only set the foundation for much better games in the future. 

I think PS5 and VR will be the next PS2. 80% market share, many exclusives, fully realized VR gaming, but still not as awesome as PS4 and VR due to just being refinments to a way of play already evolutionized on PS4.

As for the (). Having one leader puts the focus on games, and thats what its all about. Gen 7 was a nightmare with all three systems within ~10M units. I nope that never happens again.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL