By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MST3K Kickstarter!

Howdy Friends

I am a huge fan of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, and always wondered why the show was cancelled/ did not get revived. The show looked incredibly cheap to make, and there are always more horrible movies being made for the comedians to riff. How could the show not turn a profit?

well, my answer finally came in the form of kickstarter. If you consider yourself a fan of MST3K, here's your chance to revive the series!

Click Here to Support Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Kickstarter!

is anyone else here a huge MST3K fan? or have you guys and gals even heard of it?

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network

wow.. 2 million dollar for 3 episodes....

I have a HD camera and a macbook to cut and edit... lets raise 2 million dollar to shoot a VGchartz the Show episode where you can see us swimming in money

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

I have a HD camera and a macbook to cut and edit... lets raise 2 million dollar to shoot a VGchartz the Show episode where you can see us swimming in money

Yeah I agree... That seems suspiciously high for a show that relies on cheap props and really old cheap movies...

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

You know they may have to pay for the rights to roast the movies since a lot of the movies they show are not public domain there is sure to be a person holding their hand out for their cut of the pie so that $2million may be a realistic number form the people who know how much these things cost.

BlkPaladin said:
You know they may have to pay for the rights to roast the movies since a lot of the movies they show are not public domain there is sure to be a person holding their hand out for their cut of the pie so that $2million may be a realistic number form the people who know how much these things cost.

"Roasting" or making fun of other tv shows, movies, music falls under fair use for copyright.  They would not have to pay any licensing fees to the other movie owners.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

It will probably require a pretty bit initial investment to build all the sets and likely to rebuild the puppets.  Then there's the cost of shooting all the in-between material, which requires a hired crew when you're wanting professionalism.  Paying the actors is also a factor.

It probably costs more than people realize to make something like this...though I will say that it still feels higher than I would expect.

Arlo said:
NiKKoM said:

It will probably require a pretty bit initial investment to build all the sets and likely to rebuild the puppets.  Then there's the cost of shooting all the in-between material, which requires a hired crew when you're wanting professionalism.  Paying the actors is also a factor.

It probably costs more than people realize to make something like this...though I will say that it still feels higher than I would expect.

True, often costs can baloon a whole lot, and the kickstarter rewards can also add up. But I cannot shake the feeling that someone is in it just for the money.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Was a huge fan of the show and watched dozens of episodes back in the 90s. I watched the "Movie" so many times I can quote every joke.

My only question is seems like crew is split between this and Riff Trax and big fan of Mike and Co.

aLkaLiNE said:
BlkPaladin said:

"Roasting" or making fun of other tv shows, movies, music falls under fair use for copyright.  They would not have to pay any licensing fees to the other movie owners.

Not true, if they were only mocking a few scenes they could probably get away with it but mst3k showcases an entire movie upon which the entire premise of the show is dependant.

cheshirescat said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Not true, if they were only mocking a few scenes they could probably get away with it but mst3k showcases an entire movie upon which the entire premise of the show is dependant.

eh... you mean they actually show the entire uncut movie? I'm not sure how that would be handled then.  I know that reviews, commentary, criticism, sattire all count as fair play and you can have <30 seconds of an untouched copyrighted song in ads and what not without having to pay fees.  Its a pretty hard pass though to be able to host an episode while literally showing the entire movie that you're critizing.  

Didn't you guys say they make fun of B rated films though? Like super low budget or poorly recieved? I'd imagine the copyright owners wouldn't be too bothered in that case.