By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Halo 5 sold 1.4-1.5 Million in US

People actually think Halo 5 won't get past 5 million? Halo MCC got past 5 million life time. Halo 5 will probably end up around 8 - 9 million life time. Halo 6 should do better because xbox one install base will be bigger by then. The only Halo that is comparable to Halo 5 in terms of circumstance is Halo 3. Halo 3 has the biggest budget of all them as well as no competition (COD wasn't a thing). Besides, Microsoft has more than enough money to buy / make new exclusive franchise to push units. They bought Gears of War and Minecraft this generation alone. There will be plenty more to come.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

People actually think Halo 5 won't get past 5 million? Halo MCC got past 5 million life time. Halo 5 will probably end up around 8 - 9 million life time. Halo 6 should do better because xbox one install base will be bigger by then. The only Halo that is comparable to Halo 5 in terms of circumstance is Halo 3. Halo 3 has the biggest budget of all them as well as no competition (COD wasn't a thing). Besides, Microsoft has more than enough money to buy / make new exclusive franchise to push units. They bought Gears of War and Minecraft this generation alone. There will be plenty more to come.

Source for bolded?

KiigelHeart said:
taus90 said:

Please tell me ur kidding. You think that MS is not going to push their biggest franchise? did you miss all the PR activity surrounding the game leading upto its release!? Sending Masterchief and Locke figurrine in space, Performing live stunt with huge explosion in front of london O2 arena,  Rob Gronkowski dressed as MC appeared on stephen colbert show. Seattle Sounders Soccer Team Sporting Halo 5 Jersey. Plus all those live action trailers are very expensive to produce and not to mention TV spots, youtube tie up for global launch.

I'm not kidding and yes I missed all PR since I'm not that interested in Halo. Like I said, I've read here that marketing wasn't as heavy as it for for previous Halos. So what do you think, are they going to loose money with Halo 5?

they will be making a profit, but it will be way off their intial expectations..

SWORDF1SH said:
taus90 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Gran Turismo is declining. It does a lot right but also does alot wrong. What's annoying is that they are to stubborn to change it for the better. GT Sport doesn't look like changing for the better either. It was probably the most anticlimatic GT announcement in GT history. It might be great and the greatness was lost in translation because I'm still not quite sure what it's about but it just seemed like a version of GT we don't really need.

Halo has also declined, no doubt about it. Unless it bucks the trend we are looking at 5M sales maximum. This leaves MS in a situation. Do they reduce the budget for the next game to allow for the lower projected sales and risk further decline or spend big to try and get it back to what it was and chance losing millions. Sony are in the same situation with GT.

Contradicting much!

You say ur not quiet sure what gt sport is about, but you go on to say GT Sport Doesnt look like changing much. Being a GT fan even i dont know much about the game, only that its arcadey, not a mainline series and focuses more on being an esport, which in my recollection this is first for GT.. So could you plz enlighten us about ur secret knowledge of the game which made you think that we dont need this.

You need to pipe down buddy. No need to get up my arse about my opinion. 

You need to go reread what I said before the contradiction claims. It not a contradiction to not know what something is but at the same time think of what it could be. 

Yamauchi didn't do a great reveal let's be honest. I know what he said and what was shown. But it didn't blow my mind and zero buzz after the announcement. I don't get what he's trying to achieve or really understand what the game is about. I get the gist it's gt academy blown up in scale and unless you're a GT die hard fan, it's not going to appeal to you.

No secret knowledge, hence why I said I don't quite know what the game is. I feel we don't need it, it's my opinion, I've bought gt 1,2,3,4,5p,5,6, gt psp and played gt hd. I will have my opinion like you are entitled to yours 

Well i dont need to read again, i can comprehend. Zero buzz?? i doubt it. Confusing, Yes!.. But Yamachi messaging was clear on who they are targeting and what their overall vision is (esport/GT Academy). But about the actual game, he said and showed nothing, do we know if it is a full on acrade racer, what kind of online/offline support, social features it will have, graphics new features??. But sure the game is going downhill, because they didnt show anything.

You think PD are being stubborn because they are unwilling to change. Again! could you please tell me, what did they show or said that made you think that what they were announcing is similar to previous GT when they clearly said its not GT7 or a prologue, only thing they said this game will be enjoyed by people from 7 to 77, which I dont think PD ever targeted those age groups. You are dissing a game based on knowing almost next to nothing, assuming that it will be similar to previous iteration.. If thats how you form an opinion, then good job.

taus90 said:

they will be making a profit, but it will be way off their intial expectations..

Well that's just obvious.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Halo has also declined, no doubt about it. Unless it bucks the trend we are looking at 5M sales maximum. This leaves MS in a situation. Do they reduce the budget for the next game to allow for the lower projected sales and risk further decline or spend big to try and get it back to what it was and chance losing millions. Sony are in the same situation with GT.

I agree Halo is likely on a decline, which is okay for a mega popular 14 year old series. I don't think the situation is as dire as some think though.

I'm sure Halo 5 can get past 5 million, especially with digital numbers. But I don't think it'll do Halo 4 numbers.

You keep bringing up "14 year old series" as if to say "it's an old series, so it's ok that there isn't as much interest". No, Halo 5 sales aren't near prior Halo's because people know 343i now. Halo 4 sold well off Halo 3 being the last numbered Halo (ODST was an expansion and Reach was essentially a spin off), but after seeing that game and MCC, people are wary of Halo now. 

And (note: this is purely anectdotal) my current roommate said he went over a friend's place last weekend and played Halo 5 and said "that game is pretty much identical to the last game. I'm not buying it" (he has an XBOne). I'm sure there's new things in Halo 5 that he just didn't see in the weekend he got to play the game, but his first impression wasn't good. And Halo 5 being the lowest scoring mainline game (not that it has a bad score, by any means, but it is the lowest scoring) probably reflects such sentiments. Not because it's a "14 year old series"

BMaker11 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I agree Halo is likely on a decline, which is okay for a mega popular 14 year old series. I don't think the situation is as dire as some think though.

I'm sure Halo 5 can get past 5 million, especially with digital numbers. But I don't think it'll do Halo 4 numbers.

You keep bringing up "14 year old series" as if to say "it's an old series, so it's ok that there isn't as much interest". No, Halo 5 sales aren't near prior Halo's because people know 343i now. Halo 4 sold well off Halo 3 being the last numbered Halo (ODST was an expansion and Reach was essentially a spin off), but after seeing that game and MCC, people are wary of Halo now. 

And (note: this is purely anectdotal) my current roommate said he went over a friend's place last weekend and played Halo 5 and said "that game is pretty much identical to the last game. I'm not buying it" (he has an XBOne). I'm sure there's new things in Halo 5 that he just didn't see in the weekend he got to play the game, but his first impression wasn't good. And Halo 5 being the lowest scoring mainline game (not that it has a bad score, by any means, but it is the lowest scoring) probably reflects such sentiments. Not because it's a "14 year old series"

Yeah, its an old series. It spans across 3 generations and still does bigger numbers than most IPs. That's an achievement that generally doesn't last this long.

ODST wasn't an expansion. It had its own campaign, it had its own multiplayer mode called Firefight, but it shared the PvP of Halo 3.

Reach was a prequel and a major release. It wasn't a spin off, it lead to the events of the Halo trilogy.

Halo 5 is the lowest scoring game by a few points. Big deal, diminishing returns and multiplayer content is still coming.

Again, my I mention its 14 years old because it beat the odds and still achieves more success than many IPs. Halo 5 is being treated as a failure and it will do objectively strong numbers in my opinion.

We've seen AC, CoD, GT, BF, and other popular IPs decline even when they make objectively better games from previous years. The market changes. Also, the performance of some IPs can be dependent on success of the platform. For example, the Mario IP does better some generations depending on the success of the platform.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

But BMaker11 you got to admit that it's quite understandable that mega popular 14-year-old series is declining. How do you maintain its popularity with many new games releasing all the time? You have to come up with new ideas, otherwise it's "more of the same boooring", but original fans have their own idea what the game should be and might be upset for the minor changes to gameplay.

In the end Halo is just a first-person shooter among others, I'm absolutely sure it would on a decline even if Bungie was still developing it.

KiigelHeart said:
But BMaker11 you got to admit that it's quite understandable that mega popular 14-year-old series is declining. How do you maintain its popularity with many new games releasing all the time? You have to come up with new ideas, otherwise it's "more of the same boooring", but original fans have their own idea what the game should be and might be upset for the minor changes to gameplay.

In the end Halo is just a first-person shooter among others, I'm absolutely sure it would on a decline even if Bungie was still developing it.

It did decline with Halo Reach.

Teeqoz said:
Snoopy said:

Source for bolded?

http://www.ticgn.com/halo-master-chief-collection-reaches-5-million-sales/

Yes, I know it is estimated, but we all know by now it is pass the 5 million mark. The other halos didn't even sale a whole lot during this time. So it is pretty safe to assume.