By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5: Guardians sells more than $400 million (games and hardware)

Tagged games:

Cloudman said:
Is it so hard to just say "Congrats" these days? ; )

Yep

Currently most hyped for: FFXV and Zelda U

Around the Network

Also if we compare to destiny 1st week on all platforms it did 325million
SANTA MONICA, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)— Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.(Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that its highly anticipated new franchise Destiny sold-through more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days, according to Chart-Track, first parties, retail customer sell-through information and Activision Blizzard internal estimates. http://kotaku.com/all-the-ways-activision-is-avoiding-saying-what-destiny-1654985376

hudsoniscool said:
JRPGfan said:

I thought the source said it was like 150k physical sales?

then people on neogaf point out evidence from past games of the same genre, that digital sales are like 10-15% of the physical sales.

Basically First week from UK is : 150k + whatever % you think digital sales account for.

Most people assume this around 10-20% or so (usually its on the lower end).

If we re generous and give it 20% sales as digital downloads, that means its sold :

150,000 physical and 30,000 digital sales = total of 180,000 (with digital)

People on neogaf brought up earlier FW sales of halo games in the past from the UK, and even includeing digital, sales where down from past titles.

People have no idea what it sold digitally. Ms said its the bestselling game week 1 for Xbox store ever. So assuming it's on the lower end of the 10-20% range(got pulled from nowhere by the way) is nonsensical. For all we know it could be at 40%. Need u be reminded that digital gains market share everyday.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/13/1-in-5-destiny-copies-are-digital-and-helps-lift-industry-according-to-analyst/ according to vgchartz its around 2.8m on x1 so 560k digital. halo 5 >560k digital

binary solo said:
endimion said:
I don't know about you but I wouldn't count reports of poor retail sales at face value... Most XBO owners and especially halo fans bought it online no doubt about it... It's not a game you resell until the next one come and by then it's worthless on the second hand market.... So yeah pretty sure halo 5 will beat global sales of 4 in attached rate even in the UK... Actually everywhere, no doubt about it... And since when ethomaz says anything right about XBO???

So you are claiming that >50% of Halo 5 sales will be digital? I think there is considerable doubt about that.

40% would be a pretty amazing digital sales level. My feeling is that people with a special attachment to a game would tend to want to have a physical copy in their lives, not all but a pretty high proportion. I know for me a game I feel a special connection to I will absolutely buy physical, whereas a game I merely like I will buy digital once our download speeds improve and if I have the HDD space.

40% would be more than amazing; when Destiny sold 20% digital copies, in 2014, those were record levels of digital sales. Keep in mind, that from 2014 to 2015, console digital sales grew "only" 29%. That would mean that a new record level, for a release like this, would be ~26%.

jason1637 said:
SANTA MONICA, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)— Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc.(Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that its highly anticipated new franchise Destiny sold-through more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days, according to Chart-Track, first parties, retail customer sell-through information and Activision Blizzard internal estimates. http://kotaku.com/all-the-ways-activision-is-avoiding-saying-what-destiny-1654985376

Interesting: what happens if you use that as a benchmark for Halo 5? It's easier to look at Destiny as a high water mark, because their number was not tied to hardware, only software. We could use the units sold/revenue garnered and scale up to Halo 5's week 1 revenue (1.2X) and establish a benchmark for maximum copies sold. THEN, we could work our way backward, using consoles, peripherals, req. packs sold to have a better gauge and realistic breakdowns.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
starcraft said:

I think you have misunderstood the purpose of this press release.

It was not for you. It was for Microsoft shareholders, and prospective Microsoft investors.

Where did I ever said it was for me? And if this is public info, why wouldn't it be for me? Shouldn't I also be a potential Microsoft investitor?

You anwered to about what were people waiting for as if their expectations was met with what was released, and I said it clearly wasn't that way for a lot of people here and that will be talking about the game later.

So they didn't released the info people were looking for. Not the people I mentioned.

They could have released info shareholders were waiting for, but I doubt a good bunch of them wanted to know about some of the really random data they decided to present over a factual data about the potential to sell of XBOX main flagship title.

$400M revenue towards it launch involving everything related to it is indeed a great PR move, didn't say otherwise.

@ bolded - so it is for you, or it isnt?

Again, there has been a misunderstanding as to the intention of this media release. It was put out because investors expected a sign-post for how a tentpole launch went. And the signpost they want will be in revenue raised (very similar to how Disney is reporting Star Wars merchandise).

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

jason1637 said:
hudsoniscool said:

People have no idea what it sold digitally. Ms said its the bestselling game week 1 for Xbox store ever. So assuming it's on the lower end of the 10-20% range(got pulled from nowhere by the way) is nonsensical. For all we know it could be at 40%. Need u be reminded that digital gains market share everyday.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/13/1-in-5-destiny-copies-are-digital-and-helps-lift-industry-according-to-analyst/ according to vgchartz its around 2.8m on x1 so 560k digital. halo 5 >560k digital

Oh, I just posted on this (again): it looks like a very high number would be about 26% digital sales (using Destiny's sales and industry reports).

jason1637 said:

With or without hardware, controllers, yadda?

Arkaign said:
starcraft said:
binary solo said:

There is simply no way Halo 5 did 5 million week 1. And I agree that console sales won't be vastly different than past halo launches (200K range). So we can take roughly $100 million out of the equation for console hardware sales. We don't know how many req packs have been sold rather than earned, but I accept that it's likel most of them have been earned rather than sold. That leaves us with hidden revenue streams MS has not explicitly mentioned which are probably captured in the "hardware" category. Hardware is not just consoles, because hardware can include peripherals (controllers) and Halo themed merchandise.

Surely, logically you can't really think Halo 5 has sold 5 million in the first week. The only way that is a logically tennable number is if all or most of the other main Halo titles sold more than 5 million in their first week, and VGC is thus significantly undertracking the opening week of all those past Halo titles. That is certainly possible, given we know VGC software accuracy is pretty low in many cases. But if VGC tracking of past halo games is good to within 10 or 15% then 5 million for Halo 5 is absoltely out of the question.

For most games 3 million is massive. For Halo and what it means for the Xbox brand 3 million is decent.

No, I do not really think that Halo 5 sold 5 million copies in its first week. I do think that there is an enormous amount of revenue that cannot be accounted for by simply saying 'but rec packs and controllers.' Especially as the game is not split screen, and the only significant hardware outside of the console is controllers.

Halo 3 sold 5 million copies in a month. It is the best point of comparison, as it launched with the closest install base. By that metric, no matter what the split of revenue between game copies, controllers, DLC and Xbox One Halo 5 bundles, Halo 5 is an enormous success.

What my example was intended to do, was nudge people to either recognise the very obvious success of the game, or demonstrate how they break down that $400 million in such a way as to indicate the game sold poorly. They'll struggle to do the latter I suspect, as the game's success is self evident at this point.

Well, we also have another huge question coming up in terms of determining H5's success (and by extension to some degree, X1's 2015 fate) :

Will it have legs? 

Will be very interesting to see how it goes through the holiday period!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Hah, the best we can do with the data at hand is #huntthetruth :) lmao